Will HAL cruise to Japan in early 2023?

Anyone have any insight as to whether HAL will cancel cruises to Japan due to depart in early 2023?  The Westerdam is still showing as offering cruises (Singapore to Yokohama, Yokohama to Yokohama), however some other companies have already announced cancellations, presumably due to the covid restrictions in Japan.

6 months.  That is not a long time.  Regardless of what HAL does or doesn’t do I would have serious reservations about scheduling a trip to Japan in light of current restrictions and recent press releases.  I would expect, even if it does sail that there will be restrictions on your movement once in the country such as the dreaded bubble excursions 

you may find this page useful

https://jp.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Edited by Mary229

We are booked on the Westerdam for the Tokyo to Seattle trip, but wouldn't be surprised if it is cancelled. Between Covid-19 and political and economic issues, I don't think we can be sure of anything for next 24. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed and try to maintain a bit of excitement.

We were re-booked on the 10/2023 TP cruise (Seattle to Japan) after the 10/2022 TP was cancelled. 

We've decided that the only control we have is to book/or not book a cruise.  And roll with whatever. 

We shall see. 

3 hours ago, Beejay4016 said:

We are booked on the Westerdam for the Tokyo to Seattle trip, but wouldn't be surprised if it is cancelled. Between Covid-19 and political and economic issues, I don't think we can be sure of anything for next 24. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed and try to maintain a bit of excitement.

By "24" you mean months?  We are booked on the 2024 WC, which has almost two weeks in various ports of Japan and China.  At the rate that Covid keeps re-inventing itself, I am dubious, even 18 months prior to our cruise, whether it will occur as now planned.  If Japan and China were to be shelved, I wonder what countries would be substituted.  

We are  booked for 42 days on the Westerdam starting 27 March and back to Seattle.  Hope it happens, but not betting a lot on it.  If HAL cancels we will get our money back and until it is more certain I will not book flights or hotels.  For the cruise to happen, not only does Japan have to open to cruise ships, but also either South Korea or Taiwan or both.  Looks like Japan has a similar cabotage law as the U.S. in that cruise ships have to stop at another country other than Japan if cruising in Japan.  So for now, only Japan flagged cruise ships can cruise around Japan.