Connecting Flight Through Newark

Kamfish642

Today, I looked into the HAL website to verify my flights leaving Friday for a July 10 cruise out of Amsterdam.  I was surprised to see an OOPS message saying that my flight(s) were being rescheduled.  After talking with a HAL rep, I was told that Lufthansa had cancelled the 2nd leg of my flight from Frankfort to Amsterdam and that they had rescheduled my flight with only a 1 hour and 20-minute transfer time in Frankfort.  They informed me that my only option was a flight on United from MIA to Newark with a 2 hour and 45-minute layover until flight to Amsterdam.  Knowing all the current delay issues, is this sufficient time in Newark between flights?

5 minutes ago, Kamfish642 said:

Believe so.

Probably not. United's mainline flights at EWR use terminal C. United express flights may use terminal A. Some UA international arrivals can be at terminal B. Miami flights are mainline, so terminal C, and the Amsterdam flight will leave from C.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kamfish642 said:

Today, I looked into the HAL website to verify my flights leaving Friday for a July 10 cruise out of Amsterdam.  I was surprised to see an OOPS message saying that my flight(s) were being rescheduled.  After talking with a HAL rep, I was told that Lufthansa had cancelled the 2nd leg of my flight from Frankfort to Amsterdam and that they had rescheduled my flight with only a 1 hour and 20-minute transfer time in Frankfort.  They informed me that my only option was a flight on United from MIA to Newark with a 2 hour and 45-minute layover until flight to Amsterdam.  Knowing all the current delay issues, is this sufficient time in Newark between flights?

It should be check the status of your flights the last couple of days and today to get a better idea. That will also show what terminals the flights land and take off from. United yesterday changed our flights to Rome on Aug 2nd to now connecting in Newark with a 3 hour layover. We were originally connected in IAD but the flights got changed by United starting Aug 1.

Edited by terrydtx

Not to fear.  You still have 3 more days for your flights to be cancelled, rescheduled, rerouted, etc.  Just go with the flow, expect the worst, and hope for the best.  This is the reality of commercial flying these days and there is little you can do to make life easier.  Like most of us you should take a deep breath, drink plenty of alcohol (especially if it is free on your flight), take your anti anxiety pills, cross yourself (if that is among your beliefs), perhaps say a prayer (if you believe in prayer) and than go with the flow.

I have posted our own recent experience getting from Prague to Harrisburg, PA.  We went through 4 flight cancellations, several changes in airport routings, 1 change in airline (United to Lufthansa) and the need for a rental car (at our own expense) because our last two flights (once in the USA) were cancelled by United within hours of our trip.  And than United, with all their generosity, finally rescheduled us for a flight (EWR to MDT) the following day and told us that our 26 hour wait (at EWR) would be at our own expense because all those cancellations and reroutings were "weather related" including the initial cancellation that was done two months in advance (for weather related issues?).  Bottom line was picking up a rental car at Newark got us home 30 hours faster than waiting for Untied to finally get us home (that following day's flight they wanted us to take turned out to be several hours late).

Hank

P.S.  If you think there is any possibility that you will need a rental car at Newark book it well in advance since there is a shortage of rental cars!

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Not to fear.  You still have 3 more days for your flights to be cancelled, rescheduled, rerouted, etc.  Just go with the flow, expect the worst, and hope for the best.  This is the reality of commercial flying these days and there is little you can do to make life easier.  Like most of us you should take a deep breath, drink plenty of alcohol (especially if it is free on your flight), take your anti anxiety pills, cross yourself (if that is among your beliefs), perhaps say a prayer (if you believe in prayer) and than go with the flow.

I have posted our own recent experience getting from Prague to Harrisburg, PA.  We went through 4 flight cancellations, several changes in airport routings, 1 change in airline (United to Lufthansa) and the need for a rental car (at our own expense) because our last two flights (once in the USA) were cancelled by United within hours of our trip.  And than United, with all their generosity, finally rescheduled us for a flight (EWR to MDT) the following day and told us that our 26 hour wait (at EWR) would be at our own expense because all those cancellations and reroutings were "weather related" including the initial cancellation that was done two months in advance (for weather related issues?).  Bottom line was picking up a rental car at Newark got us home 30 hours faster than waiting for Untied to finally get us home (that following day's flight they wanted us to take turned out to be several hours late).

Hank

P.S.  If you think there is any possibility that you will need a rental car at Newark book it well in advance since there is a shortage of rental cars!

UAL flight from MIA to Newark for tomorrow was cancelled for today and yesterday, but still has not been cancelled for tomorrow.  Definitely worried!

31 minutes ago, Kamfish642 said:

UAL flight from MIA to Newark for tomorrow was cancelled for today and yesterday, but still has not been cancelled for tomorrow.  Definitely worried!

Desperate times call for desperate measures (and doing your homework).  We assume you are on the early UA flight (if not tis a bummer).  Early flights increase your odds of finding a same-day alternative.  In your case you have 3 South Florida airports that all fly to the NY area where you also have 3 airports.  Lots of combination and multiple airlines such as AA, Jetblue, Spririt (argh), etc.  Know your options so you are mentally prepared to invoke a Plan B, C, etc.  In simple terms hope for the best (that your UA flight happens) and Plan for the worst (that UA cancels).

Hank

16 hours ago, Kamfish642 said:

Did you check with Lufthansa if you can make the connection in Frankfurt easily? Normally it will take about 45 minutes to get your luggage transferred from the Amsterdam- Frankfurt flight and FRA doesn't have the same problems as AMS airport.