Phone service on Splendor in Alaska??

dandeck

Hello!

Anyone been on Splendor recently and can tell me about cell phone service please?  I normally get the Social WiFi plan so I can message my kids thru Facebook messenger.  Will I need that since most ports are actually US?  What about when on the water?  Are towers Canadian or US?  Don't want to get  roaming international charges inadvertently.  I have unlimited Verizon.  Maybe I should leave on airplane mode unless in US ports??  

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

Happy cruising!!  

34 minutes ago, dandeck said:

Hello!

Anyone been on Splendor recently and can tell me about cell phone service please?  I normally get the Social WiFi plan so I can message my kids thru Facebook messenger.  Will I need that since most ports are actually US?  What about when on the water?  Are towers Canadian or US?  Don't want to get  roaming international charges inadvertently.  I have unlimited Verizon.  Maybe I should leave on airplane mode unless in US ports??  

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

Happy cruising!!  

I believe if you are on the water you will connect to the ships tower.

Was on the Splendor in Alaska in May. Awesome cruise and the Splendor was the perfect ship for it. Top tip, when you’re in Tracy Arm, climb to the top of the water slide down the best views…. And yes, there will be a few crazy people using the slide. 

I rarely had service. We use Verizon and unless my feet were on the ground, I didn’t have it and even then it was spotty sometimes. Places like Icy Strait was especially bad. I needed to check on kids and things. I think it was decent in Juneau and Ketchikan.  

• Like 1

I was on the Splendor in May and had cell service in all of the ports other than Icy Strait Point. I had some service when sailing as well, but it was hit or miss. I did not have a WiFi package, but would randomly receive or be able to send iMessages while connected to the ship’s wifi in airplane mode to use the HUB app.

• Like 1

We just got off the Spirit and we video called thru Facebook messenger and it worked great while on the ship. Never had an issue, I was shocked. Just an FYI. I was cruising with my granddaughter so we could video chat with her mom and I could video chat with my husband. Made it really nice. 

• Like 1

You should check with your carrier because a lot of plans these days allow roaming in Canada for free. So you would only need to worry about roaming charges when on the ship itself, you don't want to connect to Cellular at Sea because that is very expensive no matter what plan you have.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mz-s said:

You should check with your carrier because a lot of plans these days allow roaming in Canada for free.

Unless there is a specific port in Canada, many Alaska cruises are in US ports and waters.

5 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Unless there is a specific port in Canada, many Alaska cruises are in US ports and waters.

they’ll stop in Victoria or somewhere in BC typically.