Adding a person and switching people

Hi cruise fam. We are sailing out of NY on Magic the end of August. We had 5 cabins booked. Unfortunately 2 people who were booked with another had to cancel, which left 1 who really wants to go out. The thing is we have a cabin now that sleeps 4 with only 3 in it.  We also have another cabin with 3.  My question is should I  call carnival to switch 1 person from the 3 person to the 4 person cabin and add the abandoned person to the 3.  Or should I just add the abandoned person to the 4 person and make the switch on board?  The abandoned person can't stay in the 4 person cabin.  Patiently awaiting your suggestions .

30 minutes ago, cruisemiluv28 said:

Hi cruise fam. We are sailing out of NY on Magic the end of August. We had 5 cabins booked. Unfortunately 2 people who were booked with another had to cancel, which left 1 who really wants to go out. The thing is we have a cabin now that sleeps 4 with only 3 in it.  We also have another cabin with 3.  My question is should I  call carnival to switch 1 person from the 3 person to the 4 person cabin and add the abandoned person to the 3.  Or should I just add the abandoned person to the 4 person and make the switch on board?  The abandoned person can't stay in the 4 person cabin.  Patiently awaiting your suggestions .

Ok, so that was a lot of math to follow lol.

But I think the easiest solution would be to just move them to the 4 person cabin and switch on board.  The reason I say this is you may find once on board "others" in the group might want to move too if they can't get along or would rather be in a room with someone else.  It is easy to switch on board just go to guest services.

However, what I will say is you might be in a predicament because (if I am interpreting this right) what you are really talking about doing is moving this person to another room and "cancelling" their room (since they are now left in it all by themselves), and going down to only 4 rooms instead of 5.  Depending on what rates, etc. you booked under, how close to the cruise you are, etc.  You may be in for some lost monies if you cancel out that 5th room.

• Like 1

Agree it depends on the rates. More than likely you will be refared to add someone. Do mock bookings and decide if it's worth cancelling and probably losing deposits and everyone in cabin being refared in the 4 person cabin. Ask what the new fares would be and penalties before you decide. 

We dont know the terms you booked or the rates. 

If you booked really cheap it may be cheaper to have no shows and the abandoned person solo. We dont know. Have your rates gone up? Do some mock bookings. Then call after you have some idea.

Edited by firefly333

Sorry I know it's a lot to process.  The fifth cabin already cancelled (only $200 was withheld)  So what I got from your responses is to add the abandoned person to the cabin that holds 4 and when we get on board make the switch?

2 hours ago, cruisemiluv28 said:

Sorry I know it's a lot to process.  The fifth cabin already cancelled (only $200 was withheld)  So what I got from your responses is to add the abandoned person to the cabin that holds 4 and when we get on board make the switch?

again if you add a person to that cabin, the other 3 may be refared at current prices. If prices have gone up they may prefer you to NOT add someone. Have you done a mock booking yet to see what current pricing is? 

I'd call and ask. 

I think you are just going to have to call Carnival and ask regarding if there will be a fee for a name change or if there will have to be an entirely new booking. 

FWIW, I changed a person in a cabin before and was charged something like $199...but it was also only DAYS before the cruise...and it was a fully-booked Christmas cruise.

You may also find that another person can not be added to another already booked cabin because of the life boat station to which the cabin is assigned.

If the cabins in the life boat station are filled to capacity of the station, no other passenger can be added to a cabin for that station (does not matter if the cabin has less than the assigned number of passengers that the cabin could potentially hold).