Passports In Port

I’ll be taking my first cruise in four years and will be bringing my passport. I’m trying to remember if it’s necessary to bring the passport when we leave the ship in each port or if a copy will suffice which would allow us to leave the original in the safe. Surprised by the things one can forget. 

We did not carry our passport in any port during our recent 2 week cruise. We left it in the safe. Sometime during general announcements we were told that we did not need them in any port on our itinerary, and that the ship would make an announcement if any port were to require it. We always took a photo ID (never needed it) but left our passports safely locked up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Garycruz said:

I’ll be taking my first cruise in four years and will be bringing my passport. I’m trying to remember if it’s necessary to bring the passport when we leave the ship in each port or if a copy will suffice which would allow us to leave the original in the safe. Surprised by the things one can forget. 

It is very rare that a passport is required in port.  SeaPass and photo ID is the norm.

• Like 3

If something happens while you are in port, such as being hit by a car or missing the ship, you are going to wish you had your passport with you.  It doesn't do you any good in your safe on board the ship.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Garycruz said:

Leave your passport on the ship in your safe. People are more likely to lose or get pick-pocketed while ashore than actually miss the ship's departure and need to fly home. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

If something happens while you are in port, such as being hit by a car or missing the ship, you are going to wish you had your passport with you.  It doesn't do you any good in your safe on board the ship.

In the rare emergency that you might need it, the ship will get it for you. This could mean they leave it for you at the port. 

Not worth the risk of taking it ashore

• Like 6

This is a thought I have had.  Which is why, to this point, I have never had a passport.  I see 2 reasons to have a passport on a trip of any kind.  1, it is required.  Airport, cruise company or port.  and 2, in case you need it.  What purpose does it serve if its not required but in the safe.  Why even bring it.  I have lived 48 years without 1, I have my original birth certificate and ss card.  I have carried both on every cruise.  

So if I loose it, no harm, I can still get on the ship.  If I had it in my safe, its not helping get on.  If its stolen, well the passport may be the least important item taken at that point.  AND if needed, couldnt I just replace it at some point.  

I feel, the sole purpose of having it , and why we are for the first time scheduled to get ours, is if something were to happen while away from the ship we would have access to come home.  Without it, in my case traveling to aruba and curacao. we would be a bit far from home.  In other areas of the caribean I felt ok without 1 because getting home or to a US island wasnt very far.  

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

In the rare emergency that you might need it, the ship will get it for you. This could mean they leave it for you at the port. 

Not worth the risk of taking it ashore

Thats if they know to do that.  

3 minutes ago, miyanc said:

This is a thought I have had.  Which is why, to this point, I have never had a passport.  I see 2 reasons to have a passport on a trip of any kind.  1, it is required.  Airport, cruise company or port.  and 2, in case you need it.  What purpose does it serve if its not required but in the safe.  Why even bring it.  I have lived 48 years without 1, I have my original birth certificate and ss card.  I have carried both on every cruise.  

So if I loose it, no harm, I can still get on the ship.  If I had it in my safe, its not helping get on.  If its stolen, well the passport may be the least important item taken at that point.  AND if needed, couldnt I just replace it at some point.  

I feel, the sole purpose of having it , and why we are for the first time scheduled to get ours, is if something were to happen while away from the ship we would have access to come home.  Without it, in my case traveling to aruba and curacao. we would be a bit far from home.  In other areas of the caribean I felt ok without 1 because getting home or to a US island wasnt very far.  

If you get stuck in the Caribbean, you definitely need a passport to fly home. SanJuan and St Thomas might be the exception.

• Like 1

On the Anthem two weeks ago in Europe we did.   We also took proof of travelers insurance just in case, I didn't want to stuck in a hospital in Spain or France with no passports in hand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miyanc said:

Doesn't matter how far, you will need a passport to fly home from Bahamas, Mexico or any Caribbean island except St Thomas or San Juan.

Your seapass has your info loaded to permit you back onboard but sometimes port agents will ask to see your ID or passport before you approach the ship.

Another benefit is a passport can be used in lieu of Real ID that will be mandatory sometime in the future.

Edited by Sunshine3601

Your chances of being hurt so badly that you cannot make it back to the ship are tiny.  As long as you use common sense and don't wait until the last minute, your chances of being left behind are tiny.  You're very unlikely to find yourself in a situation where you need your passport on an island stop -- and you have tremendous control over whether you use caution and whether you head back to the ship with plenty of time to spare.  

On the other hand, pickpockets and other evil-doers exist everywhere, and some of them prey on tourists.  You have very little control over whether such a person chooses to target you.  And accidents happen -- a friend of mine, who is a very smart and responsible person, left her passport in a taxi.  It slipped between the seats while she was organizing her shopping bags.  You don't have complete control over whether you lose things, including your passport. 

Leave your passport in the cabin safe, where it is ... safe.  

• Like 4

I always carry my passport with me when I leave the ship in a non-USA port.  In the future, when the "REAL ID" laws are enforced for domestic air travel, I'll take my passport in USA ports because I am not going to the trouble of getting a "REAL ID" as my state is a real PITA about it.   I simply don't lose things.  I am very methodical about where my important stuff is carried and placed, so it won't get left in a taxi or restaurant.  It's an important document so I take care of it and carry it so I won't get pick-pocketed.  

The claim that the cruise line will check your safe and leave your passport at the port if you miss the ship is not something I want to test.  I've read a few stories over the years about people being left in port w/o a passport and it's not something I want to experience.  As for the "small chance" of being injured or falling ill in port, I am more concerned about that than COVID.

• Like 1

I brought my passport with me in Nassau only because I wanted a Bahamas stamp in it.  There is a little trailer right there at inside the port that did that.  Very simple & quick.  If I go back to the Caribbean islands, I will probably take it just for the stamps.  I only had Cuba before.  I now have 2 stamps.

I won't take it with me if I go back to Nassau again.

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

If you get stuck in the Caribbean, you definitely need a passport to fly home. SanJuan and St Thomas might be the exception.

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Doesn't matter how far, you will need a passport to fly home from Bahamas, Mexico or any Caribbean island except St Thomas or San Juan.

Nope.  A passport is preferred, but you miss the ship or get hurt, you'll still get home....

As mentioned, if your passport is in your safe, the ship's agent will have it after the ship leaves. 

Worst case you'll have to explain to a CBP agent what happened.  I worked in the customs facility for several years at ORD, JFK and occasionally DFW.  You might get hit with a fine, but they still let you in after taking you to secondary inspection.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Nope.  A passport is preferred, but you miss the ship or get hurt, you'll still get home....

As mentioned, if your passport is in your safe, the ship's agent will have it after the ship leaves. 

Worst case you'll have to explain to a CBP agent what happened.  I worked in the customs facility for several years at ORD, JFK and occasionally DFW.  You might get hit with a fine, but they still let you in after taking you to secondary inspection.

I was referring to someone who does not even have a passport. Just the birth certificate and DL route. Wouldn't that require a trip or call to US consulate 

8 hours ago, rudeney said:

I am not going to the trouble of getting a "REAL ID" as my state is a real PITA about it.  

I am very methodical about where my important stuff is carried and placed, so it won't get left in a taxi or restaurant.  It's an important document so I take care of it and carry it so I won't get pick-pocketed.  

I got the REAL ID when I last renewed my license -- just before Covid hit us.  It just requires the right documents.  I figured it'll never be convenient to gather a few more items together, so why not go ahead and do it.  

My friend who lost her passport in a taxi is an accountant -- you think she isn't methodical and careful by nature?  

35 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I got the REAL ID when I last renewed my license -- just before Covid hit us.  It just requires the right documents.  I figured it'll never be convenient to gather a few more items together, so why not go ahead and do it.  

My friend who lost her passport in a taxi is an accountant -- you think she isn't methodical and careful by nature?  

I've mentioned  this before...in Alabama, getting a REAL ID is a huge hassle.  You have to deal with a State Trooper who would rather be out writing speeding tickets than doing paperwork, and they treat everyone like dumb criminals.  You wait for hours, then about half the people who apply are denied due to improper docs, even if they aren't, like bringing your W-2 as a printout because you get it electronically instead of as a instead dot-matrix printed from from 1985.  But of course you can't argue with a police officer.  Anyhow, I find it easier to just use my passport.  I've never lost it. As an adult, I've never lost my driver's license, car keys, credit card, billfold, sunglasses, phone, watch, etc.  The only thing I've ever "lost" is my 20+ year old lucky pen that I usually carry clipped into my front pocket.  Twice it has fallen out, but both times it was recovered (hence it being "lucky").

As of yet i have never needed to take passport off the ship.

1, i have photo d, military ID card and driving license.

2, i always make sure i am back on board before boat leaves.

Passport are used around the world to track your travel and identify your country of origin. ( Same as bank cards and mobile phones) They are used by lots of different agencies and are hardish to fake. Yes i know lots of fakes out there but a lot get caught. Its an easy all encompassing id document for people who travel outside of their own country.