If you cough, please cover your mouth.

CDNPolar

I hope that this does not violate the new Covid discussion policy.  In fact this is not about Covid, but pure manners and decency for your fellow traveller.

We just came off a 14 day ocean cruise, and I admit that we are likely more hyper vigilant when we hear someone cough because of the past couple of years, but please, please, please, if you are going to cough, cover your mouth.

I cannot tell you how many times we moved away from someone in the theatre or in the World Cafe because they were coughing and not even attempting to cover their mouth.  They would be in the buffet line or serving themselves and coughing without covering their mouth.  They were sitting at a table and coughing and not covering their mouth.  They were walking anywhere on the ship and coughing and not covering their mouth.  They were on a bus and coughing and not covering their mouth.

Have we not learned anything over the last couple of years?

Did we not grow up hearing our parents tell us to cover our mouths when we cough of sneeze?

This was not a single isolated person or incident - this was all over the place.

What has become of us?

Forget Covid, I don't want your Flu or your Cold either. 

Please cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

I hope that this does not violate the new Covid discussion policy.  In fact this is not about Covid, but pure manners and decency for your fellow traveller.

We just came off a 14 day ocean cruise, and I admit that we are likely more hyper vigilant when we hear someone cough because of the past couple of years, but please, please, please, if you are going to cough, cover your mouth.

I cannot tell you how many times we moved away from someone in the theatre or in the World Cafe because they were coughing and not even attempting to cover their mouth.  They would be in the buffet line or serving themselves and coughing without covering their mouth.  They were sitting at a table and coughing and not covering their mouth.  They were walking anywhere on the ship and coughing and not covering their mouth.  They were on a bus and coughing and not covering their mouth.

Did we not grow up hearing our parents tell us to cover our mouths when we cough of sneeze?

This was not a single isolated person or incident - this was all over the place.

What has become of us?

I totally agree! Why would you cough without covering your mouth? I’ve seen it too much and agree it’s so selfish. Germs can spray very far away😱. So we are about to do Into the Midnight Sun. Planning to mask when possible and keep to ourselves. What cruise were y’all on, and did you catch Covid-19. Hopefully no. 

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

What has become of us?

Better yet—wear a mask!😆🤣😷

• Like 7

I am constantly amazed how much we "older generation" have un-learned.  I know my Momma told me to cover my mouth, take of hats indoors, etc. etc.  Everyone I knew growing up was also trained in manners.  Now it seems everyone is special and does not have to consider others.  Where is the Coach with the paddle when we need him???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I am constantly amazed how much we "older generation" have un-learned.  I know my Momma told me to cover my mouth, take of hats indoors, etc. etc.  Everyone I knew growing up was also trained in manners.  Now it seems everyone is special and does not have to consider others.  Where is the Coach with the paddle when we need him???

I am always astonished and grossed out by the number of people who don't wash their hands after using public bathrooms. This is my main apprehension about becoming sick on a cruise: I hope "our demographic" has the common sense to eliminate this concern.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

What has become of us?

Yes, we noticed lots of uncovered coughing on our Alaska and the Inside Passage cruise in May. No excuse for terrible manners. 
Almost as bad as being 

“mask shamed” on two different occasions. 

19 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

Recent suggestions in the UK is to cough into your elbow as this area does not go on to touch surfaces before you can wash your hands.  It is taught in primary schools.  

Same here in the states. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tobique33040 said:

I totally agree! Why would you cough without covering your mouth? I’ve seen it too much and agree it’s so selfish. Germs can spray very far away😱. So we are about to do Into the Midnight Sun. Planning to mask when possible and keep to ourselves. What cruise were y’all on, and did you catch Covid-19. Hopefully no. 

We were on Homelands, and no we did not catch Covid.  Luckily.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

I am always astonished and grossed out by the number of people who don't wash their hands after using public bathrooms. This is my main apprehension about becoming sick on a cruise: I hope "our demographic" has the common sense to eliminate this concern.

The one thing I will say is that I never saw anyone on this cruise enter the World Cafe without being "forced" to wash their hands.   The Greeter stood conspicuously with his/her back against the sanitizer station and asked everyone to wash their hands.  

This does not mean that they were not immediately coughing into their hands and then using the tongs at the buffet.  

We did see some people go and wash their hands again after getting their food before eating.

Covid or not, there is still Norovirus that runs rampant on a cruise ship.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I'm surprised that people didn't make comments to people coughing without covering.  We have moved before and will again if that happens.....but it would be hard to walk by them without giving them the stink eye. 

Some did make comments, but that never ends well.  You end up looking like the "Karen" for making teh comment and sometimes looking worse than the offender.

You never know how someone will respond, so we just very obviously stood up and moved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I'm surprised that people didn't make comments to people coughing without covering.  We have moved before and will again if that happens.....but it would be hard to walk by them without giving them the stink eye. 

Oh, if I’m close to someone on my cruise in two weeks and they cough without covering their mouth; I’ll definitely say something. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

made me smile Mr Avery.   My folks were raised in the depression era but that didn’t stop them instilling basic manners.   Your comments about hats triggered a memory of my mom promptly removing my ballcap if I forgot

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Or the nun with the big ruler.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

The one thing I will say is that I never saw anyone on this cruise enter the World Cafe without being "forced" to wash their hands.   The Greeter stood conspicuously with his/her back against the sanitizer station and asked everyone to wash their hands.  

This does not mean that they were not immediately coughing into their hands and then using the tongs at the buffet.  

We did see some people go and wash their hands again after getting their food before eating.

Covid or not, there is still Norovirus that runs rampant on a cruise ship.

Yes on our 2 2021 cruises the Greeter did stand conspiciously in front of the sanitizer instead pointing to the wash basin.  Even after just washing my hands in the public bathroom and using the paper towel on the door handle, i still washed my hands again when re-entering the WC to make the Greeter happy.  Glad they are continuing this practice in 2022.  Would also carry one of the provided hand sanitizers into the WC, place it on our table so each of us could use it after each buffet visit.

Thanks for this thread and good reminders about health safety habits.  The coughing and covering your mouth issue goes way beyond cruise ship venues.  We see it every day in public areas.  That is why we still wear a mask while out and about.

Jan

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We were on Homelands, and no we did not catch Covid.  Luckily.

So happy you were spared the Covid-19.  
Yes, manners seem to be lacking. Same as y’all, we were brought up with manners which survive to this day. And taught our children the same. Plus Catholic school kept them in line😉. Let’s hope we all have safe travels, but we must be proactive because as we’ve noted, many were not brought up with manners or have misplaced them. 🤷‍♀️
Glad a lot of us are on the same page figuratively. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Or the nun with the big ruler.

Damn! I remember that - my nun called her big ruler "Medicine" ----- "Paul, come up her now and take your 'Medicine'". Must have worked, because I turned out OK .... mostly.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, id est said:

Well, don't forget sometimes folks just imitate cough to make other people move away from them. I used to do that, just don't want to stay in a crowd. :classic_biggrin:

A fellow misanthrope...🍸

• Like 1