Travel SIM card - anyone used this one?

Kate-in-Canada

On 8/6/2022 at 8:09 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I have been look at the same one for Sept Copenhagen to Boston TA , it does not cover Greenland 

buy two or and get 5% off 

I will probably or a couple today 

I got a 2 EU SIM cards from simcorner.com, for $70 cad with taxes and delivery included

it work great to Norway , Denmark and Iceland but not in Greenland 

also pick up signal in Scotland as we passed close to one of their islands 😁

it was 3UK CARD 

I would use them again

On 8/8/2022 at 11:53 AM, sidvan said:

Can confirm the sim card arrived in an envelope with a Canadian stamp. So locally mailed.  Ordered on July 28th and arrived via Canada Post regular mail August 5th.  Put phone on airplane mode and then inserted the sim to check the phone number. It will be a UK phone number +44 1234 457890.

image.thumb.png.d541e2571e49e6ad77d11eeec3547047.png

Worked well in Europe for me. Would use again. Italy/Greece/Spain - didn't try in Montenegro or Turkey.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 11:46 AM, netpj said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a SIM card to use for an extended stay in the Caribbean?  Thanks!

Can you tell us how long a period of time you will be staying, and whether it's on one or multiple islands?

We will be staying about 3 months, primarily in Barabados but could be visiting some other islands.  I was thinking I'll try to get a local SIM card in Barbados from Digicel or Flow but happy to receive any other suggestions.

17 hours ago, netpj said:

We will be staying about 3 months, primarily in Barabados but could be visiting some other islands.  I was thinking I'll try to get a local SIM card in Barbados from Digicel or Flow but happy to receive any other suggestions.

This article provides a pretty comprehensive overview of your choices. I hope it helps. https://www.phonetravelwiz.com/buying-a-sim-card-in-the-caribbean-guide/

• Like 1

So these sim cards are for both calling and data? Looked at a few and they do not include calling. Does anyone know if there is a combo which is reasonable. Looking for Europe data and calls and texts  to and from Europe to Canada.

Edited by tottenhamfc

13 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

So these sim cards are for both calling and data? Looked at a few and they do not include calling. Does anyone know if there is a combo which is reasonable. Looking for Europe data and calls and texts  to and from Europe to Canada.

Most SIM cards and e-sims provide both calling and data. The amount of data, texts and calling minutes varies, while calling minutes can be subject to geographic limitations, and limits may very between incoming and outgoing texts. You really need to carefully review what each sim offers before buying.

Take a look at the details for this popular card: https://www.amazon.ca/Preloaded-Unlimited-Worldwide-Tethering-Allowed/dp/B0B2DZRM8T/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1HLYU1TL6GTRR&keywords=sim+cards+for+europe&qid=1664032862&sprefix=SIM+cards%2Caps%2C85&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMEhOMkVKNDhZSzI2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTI4OTkwMjY2RU5KQzZHMThLTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTUwMDU2RDkyR0JOQU5YR042JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

I just purchased an Orange travel package from Amazon for an upcoming trip to Germany and France. It provides 8 GB (currently increased to 15GB) of data as well as 30 minutes of calls + 200 SMS from mainland France and Europe to the rest of the world. Also includes unlimited calls and texts in Europe. Only drawback for me is the 14 day validity. If we need anything the last 2 days that we can’t do on wi-fi we’ll use my sister’s (US) Verizon roaming. 

8 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I just purchased an Orange travel package from Amazon for an upcoming trip to Germany and France. It provides 8 GB (currently increased to 15GB) of data as well as 30 minutes of calls + 200 SMS from mainland France and Europe to the rest of the world. Also includes unlimited calls and texts in Europe. Only drawback for me is the 14 day validity. If we need anything the last 2 days that we can’t do on wi-fi we’ll use my sister’s (US) Verizon roaming. 

Do you know if it supports esim. And also when going from country to country are there any toggling ir adjustments made to the phone?

14 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

Do you know if it supports esim. And also when going from country to country are there any toggling ir adjustments made to the phone?

This is a physical SIM, but yes they do eSIM. Check it out at travel.orange.com/en/. No adjustments needed when you cross European borders. You have a French (country code 33) phone number.

26 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

This isn’t really true. A lot of travel cards are data only; I guess that they expect tou to use wi-fi calling and iMessage?

LOL. Perhaps I should have written that most popular travel sims, like the one you just purchased, offer both calling and data. 😇

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

This is a physical SIM, but yes they do eSIM. Check it out at travel.orange.com/en/. No adjustments needed when you cross European borders. You have a French (country code 33) phone number.

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated!

• 11 months later...

Last summer we didn't bother with a European SIM card. Had wifi and used iMessage, FB messenger and FaceTime for a couple of 'emergencies'. Now also using What's App.

After re-reading this, another eSim thread and other light research, I'm deciding the eSIM thing providing a second number on my iPhone may be above my 'tech'-scale. I don't want to mess anything up on my phone. I don't need to physically chat with family and friends back home by phone, only be reachable in case of emergency. I'm taking a vacation from them too and will connect to wifi daily in case something important comes up.

For an upcoming cruise that's mainly in Spain (18 travel days), I'm leaning towards taking my older iPhone and buying a SIM card with data that works for European countries so it works if/when I need it for any reason. Maybe to call a taxi. OTOH, I may buy it and never use it! Therefore, I may be better off just activating Bell's Roam-Like-Home for a 'day' if needed, for example, if flights need rebooking.

A friend bought a Vodafone S Prepaid SIM card from Amazon and activated it online before leaving for Spain for a land trip for three months. Worked great, can be topped up if needed. 

It is easier using an esim. You just toggle on and off in settings. Airalo is the one of choice. You can download it any time prior to leaving and then just toggle on when you are on the plane. It will auto connect when you arrive. For your purpose it will give you data so that you can GPS your walking from point a to b. For emergency calls I would just pay as you go. If you know you will be calling on a specific day then pay the day plan by turning on and off of esim. It is not as difficult as you make out. Alternatively you can go into an Apple store and they will Guide you.

37 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

It is easier using an esim. You just toggle on and off in settings. Airalo is the one of choice. You can download it any time prior to leaving and then just toggle on when you are on the plane. It will auto connect when you arrive. For your purpose it will give you data so that you can GPS your walking from point a to b. For emergency calls I would just pay as you go. If you know you will be calling on a specific day then pay the day plan by turning on and off of esim. It is not as difficult as you make out. Alternatively you can go into an Apple store and they will Guide you.

Thanks

Just remember to turn off data on your main number when toggling or you will be charged roaming. It is easy when you look at settings. Just an on off toggle.  As I said If you have time I would just go to an Apple store and they will show you to make you feel comfortable. 

32 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

Just remember to turn off data on your main number when toggling or you will be charged roaming. It is easy when you look at settings. Just an on off toggle.  As I said If you have time I would just go to an Apple store and they will show you to make you feel comfortable. 

This is a reason I like physical SIM card , less chance of screwing up 

If you feel that you want to swap out then fine, it is much simpler to just toggle. It is a very small learning process. Do not be afraid to try new technology. I love the fact that you font have to swap out a sim. You could lose your main provider sim as they are so small. There are risks in everything. The price is so good for Airalo and works beautifully.

1 hour ago, tottenhamfc said:

If you feel that you want to swap out then fine, it is much simpler to just toggle. It is a very small learning process. Do not be afraid to try new technology. I love the fact that you font have to swap out a sim. You could lose your main provider sim as they are so small. There are risks in everything. The price is so good for Airalo and works beautifully.

I find Tim or Vodafone much cheaper than Airalo 

add another 10€ on the Tim to get sim so 25€ , much better deal 

IMG_5970.png

IMG_5971.png

I went with Ubigi and DH used Airalo esims during our UK adventures this summer. 

Ubigi had better coverage and connectivity, especially in the more remote locations of Highlands and Hebrides of Scotland. However, there was some serious battery drain with my phone that hasn't been an issue in the past and has gone away since turning off the Ubigi esim.

We are booked for South America this winter, so will likely stick with Airalo from now on.