Outerwear jacket - Canada/NE Cruise that is lightweight and good for elements

Hi all,

I live in Southern Ontario, Canada and we are cruising the East Coast and New England in September for a B2B cruise.  We understand layering of clothing is going to be key to being comfortable and dressing for the weather.  What I’m looking to purchase is a good quality outerwear jacket that is going to be lightweight with a little warmth.  However, I want it to be suitable for windy conditions and light rain.  I don’t want it to be so waterproof or wind proof that it causes me be be sweaty.  My plan thus far is to pack my Columbia rain jacket, but this only is good for rain & wind (no warmth whatsoever and does cause me to be a bit sweaty) (sorry!  Yuck!).  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone! 

September is not a cold month.  Are you going early or late part of the month?  Even toward the end of the month, you can get temps in the high 60s to 70s.  I have lived in the Boston area all my life and don't even think about warm clothes in September.  If I need outerwear, I usually wear a jean jacket or light jacket and if needed, a long sleeve top or sweater.

• Like 2

When it comes to packing, it's always rain that gets you.  I travel with a heavy cotton cardigan and a weightless Totes windbreaker with a hood.  In winter I also bring a calf-length raincoat.  The 'raincoat' is somewhat waterproof.  I've encountered little rain, but the raincoat has been comfortable.  An umbrella keeps me fairly dry and I prefer that to hauling around bulky rain-proof jackets/coats that may never be needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WELDON said:

September is not a cold month.  Are you going early or late part of the month?  Even toward the end of the month, you can get temps in the high 60s to 70s.  I have lived in the Boston area all my life and don't even think about warm clothes in September.  If I need outerwear, I usually wear a jean jacket or light jacket and if needed, a long sleeve top or sweater.

We are starting the cruise Sept 6 and returning Sept.24.  We are also doing Northern Newfoundland (St.Anthony) as well.  Sounds like the Boston/NE area will be a bit warmer than I thought.

A Pategonia, Eddie Bauer, Colombia hooded rain jacket (that folds into its own pocket, a warm hat & gloves (just in case). A sweater or jean jacket. Otherwise pretty much what you’d wear at home

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from Alaska/ Vancouver 12 night cruise.

hubby wore a light windbreaker over a heavy weight hoodie. he also wore a long sleeved cotton tee shirt and those zip off legs came in handy when the weather changed. We always take an unstructured backpack to carry an umbrella and the outerwear we shed over the day. I wore a medium weight stylish hoodie under a lightweight waterproof jacket.

Our pants were treated with a water proofing spray.

most likely when we cruise from Quebec City to Florida in late October, we will pack the same. 

• Like 1