Miss the days of aft pools being adult only!

pe4all

Off the Magic 7/6.  Boy, do I miss the days of aft pools and hot tubs being adult only!  Granted, on this sailing there were tons of kids due to schools being out right before the sailing.  As a retired teacher and native NYer I kind of knew what to expect as I used to have to cruise only during school breaks/summer but back then the aft area was adults only.  On this cruise the hot tubs and pool was overrun with kids.  Yes, there was Serenity to go to, but no pool there!  I had sailed on Horizon in the winter (Havana aft wrap) and it was paradise!  Note to self - no more summer cruises unless in Havana area on ships that have Havana.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Off the Magic 7/6.  Boy, do I miss the days of aft pools and hot tubs being adult only!  Granted, on this sailing there were tons of kids due to schools being out right before the sailing.  As a retired teacher and native NYer I kind of knew what to expect as I used to have to cruise only during school breaks/summer but back then the aft area was adults only.  On this cruise the hot tubs and pool was overrun with kids.  Yes, there was Serenity to go to, but no pool there!  I had sailed on Horizon in the winter (Havana aft wrap) and it was paradise!  Note to self - no more summer cruises unless in Havana area on ships that have Havana.

I couldn't agree with this more.  Carnival really needs a nice adults only area.  Yes, Serenity, but I would really like a cold pool for my adult only area.  I was on Magic in June, and SO MANY kids.  The Serenity area was very limited, and no pool. 

I could tolerate getting in the pool, but you could tell there were a lot of adults who just wanted to relax in some pool water with a nice drink without 25 kids splashing around.

And before anyone comes at me, yes, Carnival is a family line, I get it.  But so is Disney, and from what I hear, they have a pretty decent adult only area on the ships.  Just because a line is family-oriented doesn't mean a nice adult area wouldn't be appreciated, regardless of intended audience (or price!).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, spsarrocco said:

And before anyone comes at me, yes, Carnival is a family line, I get it.  But so is Disney, and from what I hear, they have a pretty decent adult only area on the ships.  Just because a line is family-oriented doesn't mean a nice adult area wouldn't be appreciated, regardless of intended audience (or price!).

Havana areas are 12 and over and very few cabins hold more than two in that area so even few 12 and up are in there. To me,  expecting hundreds or maybe a thousand kids on board to use one small pool is even more unreasonable on a family line. 

• Like 1

Just now, slavigne5577 said:

Got off Glory 7/3, the aft pool area was nearly kid free. It was very crowded but I never saw kids in pool (we were not there all the time). A few sitting at tables eating pizza. We saw far more adults acting badly than kids. 

I believe the aft pool on the Glory is adults-only. The area is not adults only, but the pool and hot tubs are.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, spsarrocco said:

But wanting adult time means yOu HaTe KidS.

/sarcasm

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, ultrafighter said:

But wanting adult time means yOu HaTe KidS.

Lol. I've seen this so many times on this forum specifically and I'm always so very very confused.

RCL has their 16+ area with plenty of areas that include kids, and it always feels like a nice balance. I'm genuinely surprised that any modern cruise line would omit an adults only area- with the exception of Cunard or HAL which often have less kids on board to begin with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delcocruiser said:

Spirit class ships are still adult only in the aft area.  It's there serenity area.  Nice!

Good to hear.  Next cruise is on Spirit in January.  No school vacay, but will still be nice to have an area without even little kids not in school yet.  I taught elementary school for 37 years - love kids - just made Diamond on CCL so not quite ready to try lines that are a bit "stuffier" than CCL - lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

And the thing is, even with all the kids onboard Disney has the sense to have actual, really nice adult-only areas onboard -- And they do a way better job of keeping those areas adult-only. Novel idea. Plus the adult-only restaurants, because kids don't need to be EVERYWHERE. Seriously, Carnival, it's not mutually exclusive to be a "family-oriented" cruise line but still allow grownups some places to be with just grownups for a little while. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, pe4all said:

I was on the Magic for the 6/20 cruise and felt the same exact way. 

2 hours ago, Delcocruiser said:

Spirit class ships are still adult only in the aft area.  It's there serenity area.  Nice!

Yes!  Another benefit of the Spirit class ships (they also just don't feel near as crowded in the public areas as the Dream class ships to me either).  We were recently on Miracle and loved the aft pool serenity - it always had at least 50% of the lounge chairs available and was very calm/quiet (even over the 4th of July weekend when the ship was full).  

• Like 1

That's part of the reason I ended up not going on splendor despite how cheap it was. I don't want to be in an area with kids. Hell, even Disney has adults only areas and pools. It's clear to me though that CCL wants to now be more geared towards families than singles. I just don't want to be around children when I want to have a relaxing trip which includes sunbathing and hottubbing with adults. 

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

I believe the aft pool on the Glory is adults-only. The area is not adults only, but the pool and hot tubs are.

That is correct. I was on the Glory in May and saw the lifeguard ask a family with kids to leave after they got in the pool. The lifeguard showed them the sign that said adults only in the pool. I think this is true on all Conquest style ships.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

That is correct. I was on the Glory in May and saw the lifeguard ask a family with kids to leave after they got in the pool. The lifeguard showed them the sign that said adults only in the pool. I think this is true on all Conquest style ships.

Yay, booked for the Glory in February!

22 hours ago, pe4all said:

Sounds like you need to be on a senior citizen ONLY cruise!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bernardo62 said:

Nope.   Enjoy all ages.  Went on a few cruises that were an "older" crowd and did not like the lack of activity after dinner. Glad to see some CCL ships still have adult only aft/hottub areas, and will lean towards booking them in future - especially during school vacays. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bernardo62 said:

I don’t think wanting somewhere to have peace and quiet means you need a seniors citizen cruise. I think there’s just something to be said about quiet time and how relaxing that is.

I’m a mom and love my kids dearly but dang sometimes it’s just nice to have quiet time! 

• Like 11