Open Seating Reservations

fkfad

I understand that we can reserve a table for open seating in advance.  What is the process for doing this?  Can you reserve the same table for each day in advance, or do you need to do this daily?

I'm going to follow this question because I'm looking for the same answer.  We have a group of 10 but it seems you can only book a table for 8.  Were not sure if we are at a specific time or if we need to adjust it once on board.   We're used to Princess, and HAL doesnt seem to have the same clarity with regards to dining as we are used to. 

On a recent cruise on Nieuw Statendam, we were able to reserve a specific table for 2 at a specific time although we had anytime dining. Initially we didn’t know it could be done but noticed the same group of people every night at the same table. 

4 hours ago, Drews_Cruise said:

I'm going to follow this question because I'm looking for the same answer.  We have a group of 10 but it seems you can only book a table for 8.  Were not sure if we are at a specific time or if we need to adjust it once on board.   We're used to Princess, and HAL doesnt seem to have the same clarity with regards to dining as we are used to. 

For a group that large, I would recommend that you chose fixed dining instead of anytime. I may be difficult to get a table to 10 for anytime.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fkfad said:

I understand that we can reserve a table for open seating in advance.  What is the process for doing this?  Can you reserve the same table for each day in advance, or do you need to do this daily?

In the past, I've only been able to make reservations 1 or 2 days in advance, not for the entire duration of the cruise. And reservations were only permitted for certain time slots. I "think" it was before 6:00 or after 7:30, but not sure. Since ships aren't as full now, perhaps the MDR is more flexible.

We had anytime dining on the Konsingdam this spring. The day we embarked I tried to get a table for 2 for the duration of the cruise. Was told there were no available. Did call and made reservations the first day or 2, and was when I got to the mdr was told that they were only for shared tables - which we didn't want. They told us our best option was to arrive at 5 when the restaurant was opening. They really tried to push the shared tables, but with covid, we just weren't interested. Ended up going to dinner earlier than we wanted, but got a table for 2 each evening.

• Like 1

On Zuiderdam in January /February, we had a congenial group on the first night and decided we would keep same group.  We all had anytime, but managed to get a reservation for same time/table for every night.  My guess is that it comes down to who is at dining room desk to set up seating.  

Of course, only deck 2 was being used for all dining, fixed and anytime due to low passenger count.

14 hours ago, dog said:

To make a reservation is there a place on app or website or do you have to call?

You don’t have to call. Reserve an open seating table for the Main Dining Room using the same online process as if you were reserving a specialty restaurant. Go all the way through check-out, which will show zero due. You’ll get an email confirmation.

I did this for an upcoming Christmas cruise after I could not get my preferred fixed Early Seating. No specialty restaurants were available for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but I noticed I could book the MDR for any night. And so I reserved the whole cruise that way.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

You don’t have to call. Reserve an open seating table for the Main Dining Room using the same online process as if you were reserving a specialty restaurant. Go all the way through check-out, which will show zero due. You’ll get an email confirmation.

I did this for an upcoming Christmas cruise after I could not get my preferred fixed Early Seating. No specialty restaurants were available for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but I noticed I could book the MDR for any night. And so I reserved the whole cruise that way.

I may be too early as it just shows menus for dining.

51 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

What Chris said.

I made four 6:30 PM MDR reservations from the website on May 20 for a June 25 cruise with zero issues.  Some of the nights, it really didn't matter as there was no line for open seating.  But on the Gala Nights - yeah, you want a reservation.  It was nice feeling turning the corner and seeing a line about 30 people deep, and then walking around all of them to see the maitre d to tell them I had a reservation.

Now, I did have a different table and therefore a different waitstaff every night, so if that's important to you...

We have sailed twice with a family group of ten.  We had anytime dining.  In 2015  we were on the Noordam and 2019 the Eurodam.  On both ships there were tables for ten.   Look at HALfacts for sketches of the dining rooms.  We had a Neptune suite, so the concierge was able to book one of tables for ten at 8 PM.  I think it is easier if you book a later time.  I had all the cabin numbers for our group.    We. had the same table for the entire trip.  

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 10:01 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Could you please show EXACTLY how to do this step-by-step (what page to start/what to click on etc exactly)?

Trying but the only options I see are the specialty restaurants and selecting any of those does not lead to the main dining room.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, glutenhab said:

Could you please show EXACTLY how to do this step-by-step (what page to start/what to click on etc exactly)?

Trying but the only options I see are the specialty restaurants and selecting any of those does not lead to the main dining room.

I logged into my account on a desktop computer, selected my cruise, and clicked “make dining reservations.” I entered the desired date during the cruise and time I wanted, and it showed a square to click for the MDR below Pinnacle, Tamarind, and whatever else was available. As said in previous post, I went through booking & checkout procedures with $0 charge.  I got an emailed confirmation. It was same process as any specialty restaurant.

However I checked tonight and don’t see it as an option any more. I suspect this is a work in progress!  

Tonight I found this info pictured below - see the Navigator app FAQs. 

AED64766-BCF1-42D2-9FF4-F958584A2157.thumb.png.40272a81615bdeeaed7805a8872ac31c.pngBut if you select the MDR, there is no “reserve now” button to click (such as you see if you click Pinnacle in the app).

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 4:12 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

I logged into my account on a desktop computer, selected my cruise, and clicked “make dining reservations.” I entered the desired date during the cruise and time I wanted, and it showed a square to click for the MDR below Pinnacle, Tamarind, and whatever else was available. As said in previous post, I went through booking & checkout procedures with $0 charge.  I got an emailed confirmation. It was same process as any specialty restaurant.

However I checked tonight and don’t see it as an option any more. I suspect this is a work in progress!  

Tonight I found this info pictured below - see the Navigator app FAQs. 

AED64766-BCF1-42D2-9FF4-F958584A2157.thumb.png.40272a81615bdeeaed7805a8872ac31c.pngBut if you select the MDR, there is no “reserve now” button to click (such as you see if you click Pinnacle in the app).

I've tried several times and don't seem to be able to get the MDR reservation option. 😞

I was trying to book for Xmas week this year. I have been able to book the Pinnacle Grill but have not found the option for a MDR booking. As Caribbean Chris said it may be under development! 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LuAnn said:

I was trying to book for Xmas week this year. I have been able to book the Pinnacle Grill but have not found the option for a MDR booking. As Caribbean Chris said it may be under development! 🙂

I was told on phone to try booking dining after  August 1st.

• Like 1

Perhaps HAL is trying out this option for now on selected cruises only? - a system for Open Seating passengers to have the option of pre-booking online for their desired times.  As mentioned above, for our Nieuw Amsterdam Christmas cruise, I was able to book the times I chose for every night.

FYI, in addition to an emailed confirmation (zero cost) the same way they email specialty restaurant confirmations, you can see these reservations on your HAL online account if you click "itinerary." 

HAL Dec itinerary.jpg

Edited by Caribbean Chris