Explora not doing it for this Yacht Club cruiser.

Nashna

On 7/19/2022 at 12:23 PM, HipHipOnAShip said:

Actually my EXPERIENCE DOES suffer because it angers me that some people think that they are "too good" to follow the polite rules of ladies and gentlemen dressing like ladies and gentlemen.

It's 2022, and this is not the Titanic. The definitions of "ladies and gentlemen" have changed, just like the roles of women and men in society have changed.

Honestly, dress codes for the most part are outdated. There can be a general code like "resort chic," etc with entry allowance left up to the host(ess), but specific item lists need to be done away with.

Women are allowed to wear short skirts and dress sandals, but God forbid a man wears shorts and sandals. This stigma is so outdated.

There are multiple types of shorts. Trust me, I can wear a nice button down shirt and pressed shorts with Hermes sandals and look much more sophisticated than some baggy, oversized/ill-fitted pants with too many folds at that bottom than many seem to think is acceptable. Or I guess one could just wear sweatpants, because, hey...at least they're not shorts!

I get someone shouldn't be allowed in basketball or athletic shorts or pool flip flops but again...this is why it should be an overall "look" and not nit-picking piece by piece.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

There are multiple types of shorts.

“If you look a mess, you are a mess.

Right or wrong, books are judged by their covers and so are people. It's a scientific fact. Attractive people are considered more intelligent and capable than they really are. On the other hand, unattractive people are thought to be less intelligent and capable than they really are. It's just the way it goes."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, zackarykeef said:
On 7/19/2022 at 12:23 PM, HipHipOnAShip said:

It's 2022, and this is not the Titanic.

Not according to Miss Manners: https://www.washingtonpost.com/advice/2022/06/14/miss-manners-friend-t-shirt-shorts/

"Dear Miss Manners: We have a close friend who is really one of the nicest people you’d ever want to meet. His family and ours often get together for dinners at each other’s homes, restaurants, etc.

The problem, which causes some of us a bit of embarrassment, is that his “dress” is always shorts and a T-shirt. Dinners with guests beyond our group, holiday meals, outings at nice restaurants (including some that in past years would not have let him in dressed that way) — the same shorts and T-shirt.

In all other respects, he is a kind, friendly, wonderful, outgoing person. Is there any way that you can suggest to politely address this with him?"

"There's a dress code: long pants and sleeved shirts. I hope you don’t mind.”

That people do mind, vehemently, has always puzzled Miss Manners. Everyone claims to dress only for comfort or self-expression, but at the same time, everyone is using clothing choice as a way of sizing up others."

"Your friend may well mind, claiming that you don’t value him for his real self (which you obviously do). You will have to decide whether it is worthwhile to explain to him that clothing is a visible symbolic system and that not conforming to basic standards is interpreted as lack of respect.

Or you can just stop being embarrassed for him. You are not responsible for his choices."

Edited by morpheusofthesea
Bold type is Miss Manners

17 hours ago, JAGR said:

Not all YC guests, but I honestly feel that more than a few I have met on sailings are a bit vain.  The like being in their secure area, and do play the status game.  I hear one person on Seashore last March complaining to Robbie (who was relieving Balla as YC Director), and said to him, "We pay good money for our cabin and balcony.  Why do these interior people have the same access as we do to the Lounge and The One Deck?"  I was so mortified, I had to run to my cabin and take a shower to try and clean myself!  Alas, since I was an "Unwashed", it was to no avail.

Our first Seaside our kids like 21 and 18 had a YIN.  They kept sitting with us everywhere on the ship.  Ate most meals with us.  Had BC lunch with us, I wish they would enforce some YIN distancing.  I was a bit more relieved when we saw how neat they kept their YIN.  The actual biggest problem is it smelled like sewage in and around the room most of the trip, no joke about that.  The old water down drain did not work.  It was in the corridor too.

I took at least two showers a day but I do that pretty much every cruise.

4 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

Honestly, dress codes for the most part are outdated

Not according to etiquette expert.

"Jeans of any sort should not be worn in nice restaurants. They pollute the landscape. They should also not be worn in the workplace if no other workers wear them. However, if your office is casual, go for it."

Letitia Baldrige

12 hours ago, christa920 said:
On 7/18/2022 at 6:40 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

More than once we have had to leave venues where others sit down and start coughing not covering their mouths.

So I guess that eliminates Sunbury Grill as an option for Morpheus.  At least he could survive at the Galena Diner.  I saw someone cough there once, though!

Edited by JAGR

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

“If you look a mess, you are a mess.

Right or wrong, books are judged by their covers and so are people. It's a scientific fact. Attractive people are considered more intelligent and capable than they really are. On the other hand, unattractive people are thought to be less intelligent and capable than they really are. It's just the way it goes."

"Be curious, not judgemental" - Ted Lasso

6 hours ago, Gatordad1967 said:

"Be curious, not judgemental" - Ted Lasso

"We all judge. It is the most natural human tendency. Anybody who says they don’t judge are lying. We’re all judging all the time. Every opinion you have is a judgement in itself – whether good or bad. Judging is perceiving."  Ankush Bahuguna 

6 hours ago, JAGR said:

So I guess that eliminates Sunbury Grill as an option for Morpheus.  At least he could survive at the Galena Diner.  I saw someone cough there once, though!

How close do they place the tables ?

"Galena Diner

Service options: Dine-in · Takeout · No delivery

Address: 13 Columbus St, Galena, OH 43021

Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 8PM

Updated by this business 9 weeks ago

Health & safety: Staff required to disinfect surfaces between visits ."

Edited by morpheusofthesea
punctuation

18 hours ago, no1talks said:

For our February cruise, I almost packed an ascot for afternoon tea. Maybe for a Mediterranean cruise.

301297649_TeaTimeMera.jpg.c9e042bc986a0d65fdc35a33ff02ab5c.jpg

“Oh dear, you forgot to have your pinkie up. You deserve another cruise to get it right!”

Cheers 😜

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2022 at 2:03 AM, zackarykeef said:

According to whom?

Honestly, dress codes for the most part are outdated. There can be a general code like "resort chic," etc with entry allowance left up to the host(ess), but specific item lists need to be done away with.

Is this thread drift?   Began reading this an hour ago and now finishing the bottle of wine.  

What I've learned is that everyone is different (around here).   Heck, it is an MSC thread that mentions Explora in the title.   Why expect anything else?   Starting with the OP....clueless to concept of luxury cruise market.   Which is what I think Explora is attempting to enter.   Catering to North American market, competition would be Regent (I guess), Seabourn,  and Silversea.   Selling themselves as ultra luxury and that is a total myth.   They are nice, upscale lines that share some kind of all inclusive nature.  Once you paid your fare, it is very possible to walk off the ship without any $$ added.   And while you were on the ship you had decent F&B and all guests were given fairly equal treatment.   

I've been in ports with MSC ships.  Not tempted to try.  YC concept has no appeal.  Explora I am excited to try.  Booked a couple trips and looking forward to trying something different.   Pretty confident this will be a winner......based on nothing but blind faith.

On 7/26/2022 at 5:58 AM, emmas gran said:

Our first MSC cruise on Preziosa a man was turned away from YC restaurant at dinner , he was wearing a soccer logo t shirt.

My guess it wasn’t so much the soccer t-shirt that got him in trouble. It was the lack of pants. 

• Haha 2

I live in Miami Beach and my building overlooks many $5+ Million Dollar homes.  This gets me thinking, why fly commercial, when you can go private?  Why not charter a vessel (with crew), even up to a super yacht with friends, and split the cost?  Its like going to Casa de Campo and having a private villa with staff.  Why would you stay in the Presidential Suite, when you could live large, in a mansion?

Edited by gkbiiii
  • Like 1