Spinoff of Decorating Doors

Just now, Scoobydobe7 said:

Have your son help decorate the door with you (not sure of his age)...but he will know he help "surprised" his sister every day of the cruise...

Ahhh he actually complained that it is HIS door too lol. I picked up some decorations yesterday and he didn't complain but I feel bad leaving him out. 

• Like 1

Make a sign that says something like "Mom, Dad and Big Brother Johnny, are Celebrating Mary's 5th Birthday!"  And then put a photo of each of you, and a larger photo of the Birthday girl. 

If you want to go further, laminate it, and put magnets on the back so you can just put it on the door.  Easy peasy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Ahhh he actually complained that it is HIS door too lol. I picked up some decorations yesterday and he didn't complain but I feel bad leaving him out. 

It's your daughter's birthday and the day should be special for her. It reminds me of the "everyone gets a trophy so they don't feel bad". Maybe she will not feel as special if you also decorate the door for your son. Each child should have their own special day.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MCazer said:

Make a sign that says something like "Mom, Dad and Big Brother Johnny, are Celebrating Mary's 5th Birthday!"  And then put a photo of each of you, and a larger photo of the Birthday girl. 

If you want to go further, laminate it, and put magnets on the back so you can just put it on the door.  Easy peasy.

I think it's funny that most of us thought the OP's children were 5

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

My suggestion, since they're older and might not like the decorations you picked you said, is just ask them to decorate the door, and you provide one to add on to the door. Yours could a family group photo or something recognizing your daughter's birthday during the cruise. But then they get to collaborate and "own" the majority of the door. Might make the son feel more included.

Personally, I don't think it's like "everybody needs a trophy." He might honestly just feel a bit unseen if the whole family is pushing to do something fun for his sibling's birthday. You're going on a big trip and it's her birthday, and she gets decorations. Just let them do the decorations together and I think he'd be happier, because it's less you forcing him to have fun and celebrate something for her and not him.

• Like 2

I decorated all the family doors with the same family magnet, but for the wedding couple, birthday person or whatever occasion, that individual (s) gets an extra magnet to commemorate their special day.  It's a family cruise/family vacation that happens to celebrate other things as well. This is inclusive of everyone🥰

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, loman said:

Why not skip the decorations and slip her a Benjamin to have a few drinks on board .😆

She already got her bday gift so she is done 🤣 These kids find things way before their bdays that they just need lol. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

He's an adult! Tell him to act his age. Is he expecting you to do something nice for her on HIS birthday? Sorry to be rude but, I can't believe this problem exists.

They fight like cats and dogs so don't expect anything less. He didn't get upset over the decorations I bought but since we are decorating our door too, just thought he would want to be included too 🙂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, derorim said:

What do you do for your daughter on your son's birthday?

We have actually never been on a cruise for his bday and this is her 2nd or 3rd time for her bday and her h.s. graduation. He has been slighted a few times already lol. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

We have actually never been on a cruise for his bday and this is her 2nd or 3rd time for her bday and her h.s. graduation. He has been slighted a few times already lol. 

We cruise almost every year for my wife's birthday. It happens to be in March which is when we like to cruise. We have never cruised for my birthday, It's in October. I've never felt slighted while on a cruise for my wife's birthday because I'm on the cruise also. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We cruise almost every year for my wife's birthday. It happens to be in March which is when we like to cruise. We have never cruised for my birthday, It's in October. I've never felt slighted while on a cruise for my wife's birthday because I'm on the cruise also. 

I wouldn't either but I am old lololol

11 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

So, what has been done for his birthday?

I understand siblings being jealous of one another, thinking that the other sibling is being favored over them.  I have 16 (almost 17) and 24 year old sons.  The last couple of years have favored my oldest son because of his being in college and playing basketball, etc.  He just graduated from college in May and we went on a cruise to celebrate it (among other things).  It may not seem fair but the youngest son has had to just deal with everything. 

Now, the youngest is going into his senior year of high school and everyone knows that this year will be his year.  The focus is now on him and he will have a cruise celebrating both his high school graduation and birthday next year.  While we as parents do need to make sure that each child is celebrated when it is warranted, the children need to understand that there will be times when it's not about them and they need to suck it up.

Edited by TechDiva
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TechDiva said:

So, what has been done for his birthday?

I understand siblings being jealous of one another, thinking that the other sibling is being favored over them.  I have 16 (almost 17) and 24 year old sons.  The last couple of years have favored my oldest son because of his being in college and playing basketball, etc.  He just graduated from college in May and we went on a cruise to celebrate it (among other things).  It may not seem fair but the youngest son has had to just deal with everything. 

Now, the youngest is going into his senior year of high school and everyone knows that this year will be his year.  The focus is now on him and he will have a cruise celebrating both his high school graduation and birthday next year.  While we as parents do need to make sure that each child is celebrated when it is warranted, the children need to understand that there will be times when it's not about them and they need to suck it up.

Not much for his bday honestly as hers has fallen on vacations as well as graduation too. 2 cancelled cruises which would have been to celebrate his graduation. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Not much for his bday honestly as hers has fallen on vacations as well as graduation too. 2 cancelled cruises which would have been to celebrate his graduation. 

Then I think a nod to his Graduation is in order!  Happy Birthday to your daughter and a CONGRATS sign for your son.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1