Spinoff of Decorating Doors

48 minutes ago, DrSea said:

I am a teacher too. I teach medical students, residents, etc. And I work with many people who get section 8 housing, Medicaid, SNAP benefits, etc. If find these people to be the most grateful for my care.

As a nurse in a hospital, I found the Medicaid patients to be the most entitled-acting of all.  As a nurse, I had no idea who had which insurance because it didn't affect their nursing care, but if I dug through a bunch of screens, that information was listed with other demographic (non-medical) type of information.  I didn't normally have a need to go to that section of the medical record for most of my patients, but whenever I did, my guess matched the behavior every single time.  

The people that weren't paying for their care due to being low/no-income were the nastiest, most-demanding, meanest of the bunch.  I didn't find this same behavior with Medicare patients (most of whom had paid into the system while they were working and paid a deductible for their hospital stay) or those with private/employer-paid health insurance. 

And it wasn't EVERY Medicaid patient that behaved this way, either.  Maybe it's the demographic of the city I worked in -- it's the only area I've worked in a hospital setting.    But it was pretty standard behavior, the rule rather than the exception, especially so for our frequent flyers.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brillohead said:

As a nurse in a hospital, I found the Medicaid patients to be the most entitled-acting of all.  As a nurse, I had no idea who had which insurance because it didn't affect their nursing care, but if I dug through a bunch of screens, that information was listed with other demographic (non-medical) type of information.  I didn't normally have a need to go to that section of the medical record for most of my patients, but whenever I did, my guess matched the behavior every single time.  

The people that weren't paying for their care due to being low/no-income were the nastiest, most-demanding, meanest of the bunch.  I didn't find this same behavior with Medicare patients (most of whom had paid into the system while they were working and paid a deductible for their hospital stay) or those with private/employer-paid health insurance. 

And it wasn't EVERY Medicaid patient that behaved this way, either.  Maybe it's the demographic of the city I worked in -- it's the only area I've worked in a hospital setting.    But it was pretty standard behavior, the rule rather than the exception, especially so for our frequent flyers.  

This is a classic example of confirmation bias. You are only looking into chart for the insurance type when you get a certain feeling/hunch that they are medicaid patients.

I practice both inpt and outpt. In general, my most entitled patients are concierge/cash patients (to be clear, I am not a concierge doctor, they are just referred to me by concierge doctors). They demand certain tests/Rx that are not needed and may do harm. They are typically 2x my age. I get it. They are concerned about their health. My specialty is a critical one where people die/crash if I make a mistake. So I get why they are so insistent.

I will admit that patients tx nurses and doctors much differently. I see the pt maybe like 30 minutes on outpt basis and like 10 minutes for inpt when rounding. I had a patient where I saw them literally throw a pitcher of hopefully ?water at my nurse. When I walked in 5 min later, the pt was very docile and spoke to me as if nothing was wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrSea said:

This is a classic example of confirmation bias. You are only looking into chart for the insurance type when you get a certain feeling/hunch that they are medicaid patients.

Actually, YOU are the classic example of confirmation bias.  You assumed that I was looking for the insurance type because I was checking to see if the patient was a Medicaid patient, even though that was NOT the reason for being in that part of the chart.  

I *never* went into the chart to check on someone's insurance status... but that information just happened to be on the SAME page as the demographic information I was actually looking for at the time. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 7:18 PM, MJSailors said:

The average tuition for a public college or university was about $2500 per year. My father bought a 1972 Chevelle  Malibu for close to $4,000. He took a bank loan to purchase the car.

No offense, but I think your figures are a bit off. Average cost of Public college in 1974 was about $400 a year (private close to $2500). 1972 Chevelle Maibu sport started new at $2900 MSRP, not sure if could get to $4000 with options. Tuition and Fees at a state community college right now is running me about $5000 a year for my daughter.

• Like 1

UNo matter the prices - fact is , cost of living has gone up and salaries ( at least mostly in the NYC metro area ) have gone up too.

As to the car- it was loaded,plus dealer prep, NY license and registration fees and ,of course, NYS  sales tax 

Also interest on the auto loan. 

Anyway, I loved driving that car!

Good luck to your daughter.

Smart to go to a community college taking core courses,then go to college/university for the remaining years. If that is the plan.

Edited by MJSailors
Grammar correction and added two words

On 7/18/2022 at 12:55 PM, hazeleyes46 said:

Thanks, older kids so they are picky (24 and 18). Probably won't like anything I do anyway or won't be fazed lol. 

It's her birthday, just wondering why he has to feel excluded if the focus is on her, I'm sure he gets something focused solely on him on his special day.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 12:18 PM, LGW59 said:

It's her birthday, just wondering why he has to feel excluded if the focus is on her, I'm sure he gets something focused solely on him on his special day.

He has never celebrated his bday like she has multiple times on cruises. I doubt he will actually care once he gets there though. Thinking of just putting a magnet up of one of his favorite sports teams though lol

• Like 2

On 7/18/2022 at 12:59 PM, ReneeFLL said:

It's your daughter's birthday and the day should be special for her. It reminds me of the "everyone gets a trophy so they don't feel bad". Maybe she will not feel as special if you also decorate the door for your son. Each child should have their own special day.

DITTO!!!!!  Thank you soooo much for saying this!  My thoughts exactly....why can't the daughter get her special day without the son thinking that he is left out?  Give me a break!

• Like 3

Totally off topic but thought this tidbit from the NYT could interest some:

"In 1974, the median American family earned just under $13,000 a year. A new home could be had for $36,000, an average new car for $4,400. Attending a four-year private college cost around $2,000 a year: affordable, with some scrimping, to even median earners. As for public university, it was a bargain at $510 a year."

Back to the birthday door decorations, my vote is to celebrate whoever's birthday it is and tell the non-birthday person their door will be decorated when it's their birthday.....be it on a ship, a hotel room, bedroom at home, dorm, igloo, yurt, tepee or tent. 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

image.thumb.png.0f2e7b73228d393fdc8d6f1eb4ff0770.pngThis is how I decorated our door on a recent cruise.  The 4 of us shared a room and it was my daughters birthday.  You could put a grad hat on one for your son.

Edited by sprint180
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 5:40 PM, brillohead said:

Actually, YOU are the classic example of confirmation bias.  You assumed that I was looking for the insurance type because I was checking to see if the patient was a Medicaid patient, even though that was NOT the reason for being in that part of the chart.  

I *never* went into the chart to check on someone's insurance status... but that information just happened to be on the SAME page as the demographic information I was actually looking for at the time. 

"I didn't normally have a need to go to that section of the medical record for most of my patients, but whenever I did, my guess matched the behavior every single time."

This is what I read that may me think that you were specifically going to check.

This is from wikipedia:

"Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values."

From what you wrote, it sounds like what you were doing was a confirmation bias. See how someone reading what you wrote could mistake your intentions?

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 8:26 AM, RedIguana said:

No offense, but I think your figures are a bit off. Average cost of Public college in 1974 was about $400 a year (private close to $2500). 1972 Chevelle Maibu sport started new at $2900 MSRP, not sure if could get to $4000 with options. Tuition and Fees at a state community college right now is running me about $5000 a year for my daughter.

5 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Totally off topic but thought this tidbit from the NYT could interest some:

"In 1974, the median American family earned just under $13,000 a year. A new home could be had for $36,000, an average new car for $4,400. Attending a four-year private college cost around $2,000 a year: affordable, with some scrimping, to even median earners. As for public university, it was a bargain at $510 a year."

Back to the birthday door decorations, my vote is to celebrate whoever's birthday it is and tell the non-birthday person their door will be decorated when it's their birthday.....be it on a ship, a hotel room, bedroom at home, dorm, igloo, yurt, tepee or tent. 

Thanks to the both of you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DrSea said:

"I didn't normally have a need to go to that section of the medical record for most of my patients, but whenever I did, my guess matched the behavior every single time."

This is what I read that may me think that you were specifically going to check.

This is from wikipedia:

"Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values."

From what you wrote, it sounds like what you were doing was a confirmation bias. See how someone reading what you wrote could mistake your intentions?

Yes and no.... I specifically mentioned that there was other demographic info there. 

You were the one who assumed (prior belief) that I was going there for the insurance info and not the demographic info.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Yes and no.... I specifically mentioned that there was other demographic info there. 

You were the one who assumed (prior belief) that I was going there for the insurance info and not the demographic info.  

Miscommunication happens a lot (especially between nurses and doctors 😉 ).

Just curious...what kind of hospital do you work in? Community, academic, or VA? It might play a role in the pt's rxn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Miscommunication happens a lot (especially between nurses and doctors 😉 ).

Just curious...what kind of hospital do you work in? Community, academic, or VA? It might play a role in the pt's rxn.

Community hospital, night shift, at the time. 

I'm now doing private duty nursing (when I'm not cruising), which is also usually Medicaid-paid, but the patients' families are extremely grateful for the care.  (When your loved one is on a vent with tube feedings, you don't get to sleep at night if you don't have a nurse.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrSea said:

…From what you wrote, it sounds like what you were doing was a confirmation bias. See how someone reading what you wrote could mistake your intentions?

When I read her comment, I read it as she had to go into the chart to look up something and it wasn’t because of their insurance or lack there of. I know I have had to look at something and when other info is right next to it sometimes it’s hard to not see it even if you don’t care about it.

• Like 2