Occupancy rates

ivyleaguegent

6 hours ago, ivyleaguegent said:

Good evening,

What has the occupancy rates been on the ships for the past several months?

Thank you.

I think it varies on time and itinerary. For example my current 35 day cruise on Sojourn capacity 450 pax:

1st 7 day segment low 300s, 2nd segment of 11 days around 350, 3rd segment of 10 days is low 400s and 4th segment of 7 days is back down to low 300s.

Although occupancy rates are easy to learn while on a cruise, Seabourn (and other lines) seem to be keeping the aggregate figures somewhat of a secret.   On our recent Seabourn cruises the company (and onboard staff) refused to disclose how many COVID cases we had onboard (quite a few).

When assessing occupancy rates you also need to factor how many cabins have been pulled out of inventory in order to be allocated as quarantine cabins.  On our SB cruises in the past year, SB has closed-off the forward section of Deck 5 (I think these would all be V1 suites) which are reserved for quarantine.  On the Ovation that was at least 14 suites and there may have been more out of that one area.   Quarantine suites must continue to be set aside for both passengers and crew.  Even newly arriving crew are quarantined for a period of time (it used to be at least a week) before they are cleared to work.   The crew quarantines can be noticeable on a cruise such as times when there is a temporary shortage of bar tenders/bar waiters because a few are in quarantine.

Hank

@ivyleaguegent No. It can happen when you arrive to check in and find you've been upgraded (which may or may not be an upgrade in your own opinion), but I don't think that happens often. (We experienced this last year when the ship was sailing pretty empty.) But I don't think there's an opportunity to swap cabins after you've already occupied one… unless there's a problem with your suite which can't be fixed.

P.S. Please don't post the same question in multiple threads; it clutters things up and makes it hard for people to read and reply. 

Edited by cruiseej
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 6:25 AM, Hlitner said:

Although occupancy rates are easy to learn while on a cruise, Seabourn (and other lines) seem to be keeping the aggregate figures somewhat of a secret.   On our recent Seabourn cruises the company (and onboard staff) refused to disclose how many COVID cases we had onboard (quite a few).

When assessing occupancy rates you also need to factor how many cabins have been pulled out of inventory in order to be allocated as quarantine cabins.  On our SB cruises in the past year, SB has closed-off the forward section of Deck 5 (I think these would all be V1 suites) which are reserved for quarantine.  On the Ovation that was at least 14 suites and there may have been more out of that one area.   Quarantine suites must continue to be set aside for both passengers and crew.  Even newly arriving crew are quarantined for a period of time (it used to be at least a week) before they are cleared to work.   The crew quarantines can be noticeable on a cruise such as times when there is a temporary shortage of bar tenders/bar waiters because a few are in quarantine.

Hank

I think we were on the same cruise MIA -> LIS and the lack of transparency re: Covid cases was more than disappointing.  Despite walking down the various halls and seeing the benches.  Tell us the TRUTH, we can understand what it means.  Seabourn is in denial IMO about what is happening on the ships.

52 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

I think we were on the same cruise MIA -> LIS and the lack of transparency re: Covid cases was more than disappointing.  Despite walking down the various halls and seeing the benches.  Tell us the TRUTH, we can understand what it means.  Seabourn is in denial IMO about what is happening on the ships.

We were very disappointed in the lack of transparency and even the lying of Seabourn.  It was not just the COVID issue, but the lack of honesty regarding the two ports in Morocco.  To this day Seabourn has never notified us of the cancellation of those two ports and the reason!  We did find out (later) that the cancellations were likely because of Morocco requiring COVID testing.  But we sure did not hear this from Seabourn.   Some cruisers lost money on private tours because SB failed to give us adequate notice of the port cancellations.  

But I should add that we loved the cruise,  met lots of terrific passengers/crew and we had no hesitation in booking another SB cruise.

Hank

I would be interested to know why Seabourn crew should tell passengers on board about the number of ill passengers. After all, the passengers identified as such are out of circulation by being confined to their cabins until they test negative. Isn’t that good enough? And if you want stringent reporting with controls, do you endorse mandatory testing daily?

I don’t believe that piling on criticism of Seabourn is warranted unless the context above is clear and outcome sought is purposeful.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, markham said:

I would be interested to know why Seabourn crew should tell passengers on board about the number of ill passengers

If 3% of passengers and crew are covid positive, I will go about my business. If 25% of passengers and crew are covid positive, I will stay in my cabin and on the balcony as much as possible.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, markham said:

I would be interested to know why Seabourn crew should tell passengers on board about the number of ill passengers.

If there is one passenger in isolation, it would tell me there hasn't been much spread on the ship currently and we can continue dining in restaurants, going to shows, etc. without much concern. If there are 25 passengers and 15 crew in isolation, it tells me that there's considerable community spread, and we need to mask going to every venue and to focus on distancing from others. 

(Oops, I stated typing this before the nearly identical reply from @whogo )

• Like 4

Exactly if 5 cases on-board then no concern.  If 50 then need to change your behavior.  And we did get C19 from being on the ship - flew home day we disembarked and was sick before we got to the arrival airport and positive when tested so hence my complaint about lack of transparency.  Although we were mostly careful had we known the infection rate we would have avoided certain situations we thought were safe.  No guarantee it would have made a difference but knowledge is a wonderful thing if one has a brain to use with it.

• Like 4

On 8/1/2022 at 8:54 AM, whystayhome said:

Just off 3 weeks on Ovation (and still jet lagged). July 9-16 somewhere around 170 guests. July 16-30, about 500. The first week the service was so good it was almost annoying 🙂

Linda

And the second week?