Balcony or Mini Suite on Majestic to Alaska?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I'm rebooking....again....my originally summer 2020 Princess to Alaska, Vancouver to Whittier, which I most recently missed this  b/c we had a death in the family.  I was originally booked in a balcony cabin and am considering upgrading to a mini suite.  I am a solo traveler though so this seems kind of extravagant.  Mainly, I think it would be nice to have the couch.  I was just watching videos about the two cabin types and when they got to the point where they showed there are 2 tvs I though well I don't need that. But, I still really like the idea of having the couch.  This will be my first cruise so I don't have any experience actually being in a cruise cabin yet.  I don't have any claustrophobic etc so a small room is fine.  I just tend to be a homebody and think I might spend more time in the room than others might.  Any thoughts are welcome.  Thanks!

Majestic has a Deluxe Balcony category that has a sofa and only one TV. I like the category because the bathroom has a walk in shower. My joint issues make the shower over tub in the mini suites a problem, but I also travel solo and enjoy alone time.

• Like 1

I went on my first cruise recently and really struggled with no couch.  There were three of us in a balcony room and sitting in the room meant sitting on the bed or fighting over the desk chair, which isn’t that comfortable for 7 days.

I have booked another cruise in a mini suite for this reason. It is for 14 days and I would not go without comfortable room seating for that long.

• Like 1

I have experienced both as a solo traveler and really enjoyed the mini suite but for my Alaska trip I booked an obstructed view balcony cabin. The only obstruction was the lifeboat below my line of sight. Alaska is an expensive itinerary so I saved my money on the cabin to indulge in extra experiences on board and in port.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ghgeckos said:

I have experienced both as a solo traveler and really enjoyed the mini suite but for my Alaska trip I booked an obstructed view balcony cabin. The only obstruction was the lifeboat below my line of sight. Alaska is an expensive itinerary so I saved my money on the cabin to indulge in extra experiences on board and in port.

That was how I ended up on Carnival to Alaska, they gave me an offer for a balcony I couldn't refuse with the only downside being if I looked straight down I saw lifeboat.  I enjoy them, but not really my preferred experience but Alaska is a destination where I truly believe beyond a balcony/Oceanview, just getting to Alaska is the important part

17 hours ago, Cruise Crazy 62 said:

Majestic has a Deluxe Balcony category that has a sofa and only one TV. I like the category because the bathroom has a walk in shower. My joint issues make the shower over tub in the mini suites a problem, but I also travel solo and enjoy alone time.

Agreed, not a huge fan of the tub unless one likes to take a bath or has children.  But I can't stand that stupid Princess shower curtain either.  I'll upgrade to a base full suite just to get away from that thing.

I was in a full suite solo (not by choice/cruise mates had to cancel).  I will tell you that it was lovely to have all that space to myself.  But completely unnecessary.  Let us know what you finally decide on.  My vote would be to take the (deluxe) balcony and call it good.  Use the difference for excursions, specialty restaurants, Princess Plus package, etc.  

You will enjoy Alaska.  You will meet other passengers.  You will have a great time.

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I decided on the deluxe balcony b/c it had the couch and was less $ than the mini suite.  But I could see a mini suite in my future if traveling with family.  I am soooo happy there is a small couch in there, as I like to be comfy when hanging out in the room, and sitting up in the bed isn't always comfy for me.

• Thanks 1