B2B2B Panorama Oct 28/Nov 4/Nov 11 2023

UConn1

Hello all!  These B2B2B cruises will be numbers 22-24 for me on Carnival.  All of my other CCL cruises have been Caribbean/Hawaii.  I know all the tips/tricks of cruising, so not looking for that, but what I am looking for are recommendations on excursions.  I don't like to trust the CCL website ratings because I know that it seems that those with low ratings are from "Karen" types and I'm not sure I can trust them.  I'd like to do something that I haven't done in the Caribbean cruises - such as the camel rides (is it worth it?).  I'm easy going, not much bothers me, and as long as I have fun, then there is no problem (even if there was, I'd let it go and have a good time anyway).

I like zoos/aquariums, alcohol tastings, exclusive resort, and sailing excursions.  If I can find Jet Ski rental, I'd do that all day.

Any suggestions/recommendations for 'must do' in Cabo, PV, Mazatlan?  I'm a solo cruiser, so prefer to do excursions rather than on my own sight seeing due to safely concerns. 

Yes, I know 21 days same 7 night itins don't sit well with many, but that means i can do 9 different excursions (not that I will, but have that option). 

In addition, I'll be staying in Long Beach a couple of days pre-cruise (live in Vegas, so driving in).  What to do besides the obvious Queen Mary and Aquarium?

Thanks in advance for any input.

We did a Panorama B2B2B September/October last year - it was great! We did all ship excursions, since I was concerned about cancelations due to COVID.

My husband loved the Cabo Luxury Day Sail & Snorkel so much he did it twice. It was on a small sailing yacht and the staff was wonderful. For our third sailing we just tendered over to the port, did some shopping, and had lunch and drinks.

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/cabo-san-lucas/all-inclusive-luxury-day-sail--snorkel-314060

In Mazatlan we did the El Cid resort excursion twice. (We would have done this a third time except for Hurricane Pam causing us to skip Mazatlan.) There was the option to stay at the beach or take a no-charge water taxi over to hang out at the pools. We hung out at the farthest pool and purchased some nachos for snacks, since we didn't feel like going back to the beach area for the buffet lunch. There is now an option to do it as either all inclusive or open bar - I would do the open bar and buy food if you get hungry.

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/mazatlan/all-inclusive-beach-resort-getaway-306030

In Puerto Vallarta we went to Sabal Playa - it was also very nice. We tried to go a second time, but had an issue with the vendor's transportation and ended up getting a refund (they loaded a small groupof us onto on a separate, hot mini-bus and then had us waiting for people that never showed up, while most everyone else was sent on ahead in a large coach - we got off after 20 minutes and went back to the ship). I would try one of the other excursions if we go there again.

• Like 1

I'll second the El Cid in Mazatlan, clean pools, clean furniture, clean bathrooms, well landscaped, drinks flow-a-plenty and great pool (I prefer the last pool too). Tip the folks in the white carts out and they will drive you over once you get off the water shuttle, tip the towel lady a couple bucks (by back of the bar) and she will phone them if you want/need a ride back to the shuttle or to get food from the buffet. The buffet staff is awesome and they will keep your glass full. The food is kind of meh, I'd do as the above poster suggested and just get the open bar option and buy food, it wastes too much time going back and forth for mediocre food. If you will spend more time at the beach side, the buffet is the way to go for sure, it's literally steps away.  

For jet skis, Cabo would be your best bet. Lots of options there all up and down Medano beach. Very touristy and lots of folks around. Prices won't be as good as some of the AI's in Nuevo Vallarta offer with the independent folks that come right to the beach but it is what it is. Nice large area to jet ski and then you can grab drinks or grub after and mingle with fellow cruisers and other vacationing tourists.

For PV, the Exclusive Majahuitas Beach Cove is awesome! Club like vip deal with drinks-a-plenty, nice lounge set up, gang plank to get to shore, clean bathrooms, good local cooked food and an overall chill vibe that is somewhat intimate and exclusive (as the name suggests).     

• Like 1

Forgot to answer your second part, just my opinion but if I were coming a few days early, I'd spend it in San Diego over Long Beach or LA and just drive up the morning of. They have a great zoo, lots of jet ski options and water sports (San Diego Bay or Mission Bay both have plenty of options) and there is just more to do and interesting places with both the city vibe and beachfront vibe all rolled into one. San Diego is just popping all over, from La Jolla to PB, to Mission Bay, on down to Coronado and the Gas lamp and bay/harbor front. So much to see and do and the vibe there just feels more chill. Heck, I could spend three weeks in San Diego doing a B2B2B lol. Have a great trip on Panorama! Keep her clean for me, she's a great ship. I'll be getting on her shorty after you! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Forgot to answer your second part, just my opinion but if I were coming a few days early, I'd spend it in San Diego over Long Beach or LA and just drive up the morning of. They have a great zoo, lots of jet ski options and water sports (San Diego Bay or Mission Bay both have plenty of options) and there is just more to do and interesting places with both the city vibe and beachfront vibe all rolled into one. San Diego is just popping all over, from La Jolla to PB, to Mission Bay, on down to Coronado and the Gas lamp and bay/harbor front. So much to see and do and the vibe there just feels more chill. Heck, I could spend three weeks in San Diego doing a B2B2B lol. Have a great trip on Panorama! Keep her clean for me, she's a great ship. I'll be getting on her shorty after you! 

That is not a morning drive with traffic

29 minutes ago, TheSeagoer said:

That is not a morning drive with traffic

Sure is, about two hours, even on a weekday, about 20 min less on weekends. Totally doable. You can't board the ship super early anymore like you could before and if the OP will spend three weeks on her, there is no need to be first on. They could easily have a leisurely trip up without rushing or getting caught up in lines of traffic waiting to enter parking as those who arrive first always so. Plus cabin would be ready sooner if they get on a bit later.  

39 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Sure is, about two hours, even on a weekday, about 20 min less on weekends. Totally doable. You can't board the ship super early anymore like you could before and if the OP will spend three weeks on her, there is no need to be first on. They could easily have a leisurely trip up without rushing or getting caught up in lines of traffic waiting to enter parking as those who arrive first always so. Plus cabin would be ready sooner if they get on a bit later.  

Have you seen the port on cruise days?

2 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

OP, I hope you got a good price. Otherwise,  you're spending a lot of time and money for nine port days. You could have done all inclusives for a week in all three cities. 

Good point. AI's can be pricey though, cruising is usually a better deal but Airbnb prices drop significantly when you stay longer. There are some great condo deals right near the port stops. We were very tempted this summer to book two weeks (even considered a month) in Cabo or PV, would have been less than a one week cruise but airfare was nuts and covid going crazy so backed out at the last min. You bring up a good point that many overlook. 

6 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

OP, I hope you got a good price. Otherwise,  you're spending a lot of time and money for nine port days. You could have done all inclusives for a week in all three cities. 

I got an amazing price and I have zero interest in doing an AI.  I've got the time and the money so basically boils down to the fact that I prefer to cruise than be at one location for a week.

18 hours ago, snowballs mom said:

My husband loved the Cabo Luxury Day Sail & Snorkel so much he did it twice. It was on a small

I've been eyeballing that one, so good to hear.

15 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Thanks for all the information!  I'll be sure to look into options and maybe come in 2-3 days earlier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UConn1 said:

I've been eyeballing that one, so good to hear.

Just make sure to take bonine before hand if you are prone to seasickness. I forgot mine - that's why I did not go on that one the second time with my husband 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, UConn1 said:

I got an amazing price and I have zero interest in doing an AI.  I've got the time and the money so basically boils down to the fact that I prefer to cruise than be at one location for a week.

But you are in the same place...12 days going nowhere on the ship and 9 days in port to the same three locations. 

Enjoy.

Edited by cruizergal70

Do a tequila tour in PV. The place they take you too has great food and it's a good experience. Stone Island in Mazatlan and walk the blue line. Johann & Sandra offer great options in all of the ports. Toured with them many times.

We sailed the Panorama in May/early June.  We have a seven-year old so that really drove which excursions we did.

In PV, we swam with the sea lions.  It was pretty cool.  I know it gets mixed reviews on the Carnival site, but we all had a great time.

In Cabo, we did the Pirate Ship excursion (remember: seven-year old).  It was fun.  Not sure I would do it a second time.  The crew was great and all the kids really loved it.

In Mazatlan, we had planned to hike to the lighthouse, but changed our minds and went to Stone Island on our own.  We enjoyed our time there.  

On 7/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, UConn1 said:

If you like to cruise, than cruise :).  But any "good" AI is going to be more costly than a cruise, so if you have the time and money, it'd be a better option.  One thing to remember - in late October/early November, it's generally on the cooler side along the California / Baja coast, so it will be chilly on embarkation + your first & last sea days, to the point that most people choose to stay indoors and it gets quite crowded.  I live in the Los Angeles area and the lion's share of my cruises have been on the 7-day Mexican Rivera plus 3/4-day Ensenada, but the Panorama would not be my choice for three B2B cruises.  That said, we've had some goofy weather lately (it reached 100 during that time period last year), so who knows? 🙂

I remember now why left this site years ago.  All I did was ask for opinions on shore excursions and it turned into a debate over my vacation plans.  I'm no longer going to debate my decision, as it is how I want to spend my time and money.

Thank you to those that provided the information I asked about.  It helps in making my excursion decisions.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, UConn1 said:

I remember now why left this site years ago.  All I did was ask for opinions on shore excursions and it turned into a debate over my vacation plans.  I'm no longer going to debate my decision, as it is how I want to spend my time and money.

Thank you to those that provided the information I asked about.  It helps in making my excursion decisions.

Exactly. These people are the worst. You asked a simple question and they turn it about themselves. Enjoy your three weeks aboard.  Sounds like a great time.  There is a great local spot for lunch called El Tunel. You can walk back to the ship in 20inutes

Edited by TheSeagoer