NEW CDC guidelines for COVID mitigation on cruise ships

hallux

47 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Still waiting to hear from NCL.  We know they said any country that does not REQUIRE testing they would not do testing as of August 1st, but when they made that announcement the US still required it.  I am waiting to see/hear the change to no longer include the US in that list, which I suspect is coming.  Virgin Voyages is no longer doing pre-cruise testing as of next week.

NCL's corporate sibling, Oceania, announced they were keeping testing for US-based cruises in place so it's conceivable that NCL will do the same.

4 hours ago, knitdiva said:

We were scheduled on Virgin for 7/31...we canceled that trip and booked with NCL because they are continuing with vaccination and testing requirements. We were excited to try Virgin, but they're throwing away the peace of mind/risk mitigation protocols so we we weren't comfortable. No testing AND no vaccination requirement in these times with surges? Yikes. To get rid of both is wild to me. 

Edited by mrsderitis
added more thoughts :)

13 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

NCL's corporate sibling, Oceania, announced they were keeping testing for US-based cruises in place so it's conceivable that NCL will do the same.

I spoke to a rep today from NCL and they confirmed that US based cruises will continue to require testing and vaccination. Looks like something changes perhaps on 8/1 but the rep said that is NOT for US based departures. 

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Nope.  They have at-home test kits that can be self-administered and monitored by a proctor using a computer, smart phone or tablet (as long as the device has a camera).  The proctor confirms the results and you get an email with the result within minutes of completion (addressing your other concern of when you get the result).  Oh, it doesn't HAVE to be taken at home, it can be done anywhere with an internet connection.  Those at-home tests are also CHEAPER than going someplace for a test - the free government kits can be proctored for a fee of $20 each (I think) or the Binax kits can be purchased for $70 for a pack of 2 with the proctor fee included.

I understand. I do not have pictures taken. I do not show my face on Zoom calls. It's a phobia, which is a real disease. Every device I have with a camera is taped over if it's facing me. Cameras are great for taking pictures of flowers, kitties, grandkids. Selfies are simply egotistical.

I'll get a test and the test facility had damned well better get my results to me so I can be vetted within the ridiculous 2-day period. I will pay for the BINAX test kits even though I have a stack of 8 iHealth kits which I got free from the government and are certified by the FDA. I would gladly test with my kit at the pier and wait 15 minutes for results. Why isn't that enough? Anybody who refuses vaxsing, buys a counterfeit vax card, and never wears a mask are the ones who are causing the problems and should be treated accordingly. I hear keelhauling was a popular punishment in the 18th C. navy.

3 minutes ago, IMNOFUN said:

I understand. I do not have pictures taken. I do not show my face on Zoom calls. It's a phobia, which is a real disease. Every device I have with a camera is taped over if it's facing me. Cameras are great for taking pictures of flowers, kitties, grandkids. Selfies are simply egotistical.

I'll get a test and the test facility had damned well better get my results to me so I can be vetted within the ridiculous 2-day period. I will pay for the BINAX test kits even though I have a stack of 8 iHealth kits which I got free from the government and are certified by the FDA. I would gladly test with my kit at the pier and wait 15 minutes for results. Why isn't that enough? Anybody who refuses vaxsing, buys a counterfeit vax card, and never wears a mask are the ones who are causing the problems and should be treated accordingly. I hear keelhauling was a popular punishment in the 18th C. navy.

So if you don’t wear a mask we are the Devil? You must be a joy to cruise with

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

After I've flown across the country and paid for a hotel room and other transportation?  Even testing at the port doesn't guarantee that I wasn't just exposed and won't test positive until I'm on the ship.  That's the silly part of all this testing.  It simply doesn't achieve Covid free ships.

You can do a free test at home prior to travel on the plane to make sure you don't have COVID.  I have 4 government tests that I can do prior to any travel.  I believe you can order 4 more after a certain time period between shipment.

On the Verge of NCL Sapphire

Edited by melareps
Forgot to add qualifying information
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drb116 said:

The problem is that the at home tests are not the same as the cruise port test. We did this only to find that our son tested positive at the cruise port where they used a NAAT test. He was fine, but likely just tested positive from having covid 45 days earlier, which was not picked up on our at home test.

Fortunately, we live 30 minutes from the port, but for most people, it is not reasonable to make them cancel their vacation once they arrive at the port. It is bad enough to have to cancel a vacation 2 days before you go.

But with the previous antigen test at home, your travel insurance should have reimbursed you for cruise, all travel, and quarantine (if required). 

21 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

I guess I'm in that category of "devil" anymore.  You DID happen to note their screen name, right?

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

I don't believe I said that. I did say: Anybody who refuses vaxing, buys a counterfeit vax card, and never wears a mask are the ones who are causing the problems and should be treated accordingly.

I actually am a joy to cruise with and everybody's best choice for Trivia games. However, don't invite me to your team. You don't sound like someone who's a joy to cruise with.

I hope we all get through all this and get to take the cruises we have so carefully planned. A little bitching and moaning is allowed for every plane, train, automobile, or ship trip.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Did they make some kind of official announcement?  I've tried searching for it as I wanted to read more about what they are saying.  

I did take a look at the Oceania forum and read a letter that a cruiser posted there.  It says testing will remain in effect but says 'through the month of August'.

Copied in part  below :

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We look forward to welcoming you onboard Regatta for your upcoming voyage to Alaska.

Recently, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) decided to end the COVID-19 program for cruise ships operating in U.S. waters. At this time, the testing requirement for cruise ships departing from U.S. ports will remain in effect through the month of August. 

Edited by Sand and Seas

8 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Did they make some kind of official announcement?  I've tried searching for it as I wanted to read more about what they are saying.  

Someone on an upcoming Oceania cruise posted a letter they just received with that information.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2867591-oceania-extends-covid-testing-requirement-us-departure-ports/#comment-63601440

Also it's on Oceania's website:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/health

ADDITIONAL PRE-EMBARKATION HEALTH SCREENING

FOR SAILINGS EMBARKING ON OR AFTER AUGUST 1, 2022, Oceania Cruises will no longer require guests to produce a negative covid test to embark their cruise, subject to local regulations.

Please Note: Voyages embarking from the United States, Canada and Greece as well as those sailing to Bermuda, will still require a negative covid test at embarkation, until further notice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, melareps said:

You can do a free test at home prior to travel on the plane to make sure you don't have COVID.  I have 4 government tests that I can do prior to any travel.  I believe you can order 4 more after a certain time period between shipment.

On the Verge of NCL Sapphire

1 hour ago, melareps said:

But with the previous antigen test at home, your travel insurance should have reimbursed you for cruise, all travel, and quarantine (if required). 

Insurance companies aren't in the habit of "taking our word for it."  They will require an official lab test result.

Am I reading too much into the letter from 'NCL sibling' Oceania board?    I read it as testing from US ports will possibly end after August.

On the other board is  a letter from Oceania that a cruiser posted there.  It says testing will remain in effect but says 'through the month of August'.

Copied in part  below :

We look forward to welcoming you onboard Regatta for your upcoming voyage to Alaska.

Recently, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) decided to end the COVID-19 program for cruise ships operating in U.S. waters. At this time, the testing requirement for cruise ships departing from U.S. ports will remain in effect through the month of August. 

5 hours ago, hallux said:

Nope.  They have at-home test kits that can be self-administered and monitored by a proctor using a computer, smart phone or tablet (as long as the device has a camera).  The proctor confirms the results and you get an email with the result within minutes of completion (addressing your other concern of when you get the result).  Oh, it doesn't HAVE to be taken at home, it can be done anywhere with an internet connection.  Those at-home tests are also CHEAPER than going someplace for a test - the free government kits can be proctored for a fee of $20 each (I think) or the Binax kits can be purchased for $70 for a pack of 2 with the proctor fee included.

I am using free gov’t test…. Proctoring was $15.   

42 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Am I reading too much into the letter from 'NCL sibling' Oceania board?    I read it as testing from US ports will possibly end after August.

On the other board is  a letter from Oceania that a cruiser posted there.  It says testing will remain in effect but says 'through the month of August'.

Copied in part  below :

Recently, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) decided to end the COVID-19 program for cruise ships operating in U.S. waters. At this time, the testing requirement for cruise ships departing from U.S. ports will remain in effect through the month of August. 

"Possibly" is the key word.  But also note that the website wording says "until further notice". 

In other words they are not committing to an end date in either version of the wording. It's indefinite.

4 hours ago, mrsderitis said:

No testing AND no vaccination requirement 

This is not entirely accurate. Virgin will allow a vaccine exemption for only 10% of it's cruisers. This is no different than Princess (who just made getting an exemption even easier). I believe RCL and CCL also allows unvaccinated with an approved exemption. It will not surprise me if NCL ends up with the exact same requirements as Virgin once they start making changes in response to the CDC ruling. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is not entirely accurate. Virgin will allow a vaccine exemption for only 10% of it's cruisers. This is no different than Princess (who just made getting an exemption even easier). I believe RCL and CCL also allows unvaccinated with an approved exemption. It will not surprise me if NCL ends up with the exact same requirements as Virgin.

You're absolutely right with the 90/10 breakdown.Thank you for clarifying.  I'm hopeful that if NCL drops to 90% they keep their testing; to remove both is too much for me! Hah! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrsderitis said:

You're absolutely right with the 90/10 breakdown.Thank you for clarifying.  I'm hopeful that if NCL drops to 90% they keep their testing; to remove both is too much for me! Hah! 

If you are sailing in the immediate future I think you have a good shot at it :). 

Happy travels!

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If you are sailing in the immediate future I think you have a good shot at it :). 

Happy travels!

Thank you 🙂 We sail on 7/31! Just booked our cruise on Breakaway this morning. 😎

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'll be rooting for you! I do understand that dropping both can be a bit intimidating. The Breakaway is a great ship. Enjoy!

My money would be on testing going away but vaccination requirements staying around for now. 

I am also looking forward to crew masking going away.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

My money would be on testing going away but vaccination requirements staying around for now. 

I am also looking forward to crew masking going away.

I agree with you. Remove testing first, then vaccinations. Question is, the timeline. There are lines starting to dabble in loosening the vaccination requirement already (for 10% of passengers).

Princess just posted that they "Welcome the Unvaccinated" with much easier exemption process. CCL and RCL have welcomed 10% unvaccinated for awhile now with stricter policies. Virgin appears to have loosened exemption process with the CDC news release this week. Starting with 10% unvaccinated seems reasonable to me, then, if it works, they can increase the percentage accordingly. 

• Like 1