NEW CDC guidelines for COVID mitigation on cruise ships

hallux

I would guess that the CDC is still getting reports of covid numbers (even if voluntarily) from these lines.  It would not surprise me at all if they were still guiding the ship as it were, with regards to what the lines are doing.  Just seems too much of a coincidence that all the lines seem to be moving slowly to no pre-cruise test and 10% unvaccinated with no real exemption process other than not wanting to be vaccinated.  

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Bob121 said:

I don’t understand why people want to cruise while infected with COVID. It doesn’t seem like a fun time. Testing before hand reduces the chance of being sick on the cruise, which seems like a good thing. 

Not sure how testing beforehand reduces chances of being sick on the cruise unless you mean those who test positive before boarding don’t go on the cruise. Otherwise you can test negative the day before but develop Covid a day later…after you’ve already boarded. 

• Like 3

If you test negative before a cruise, that doesn't tell you a whole lot, especially if the test is done 2 days before sailing.

But I don't think we can dismiss the value of a positive test. If you test positive before sailing and don't sail, you won't be spreading it to others onboard. The less people onboard that are spreading the virus, the more manageable cruising will be.

I'm not sure what the solution is, to be honest.

Pier-side rapid-testing would be better—not foolproof, but significantly better. I'm just not sure how they can implement that without making the embarkation process incredibly long. I would like to not have to bother with finding proctored testing ahead of time, and just bring a rapid-test to the pier.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree with you. Remove testing first, then vaccinations. Question is, the timeline. There are lines starting to dabble in loosening the vaccination requirement already (for 10% of passengers).

Princess just posted that they "Welcome the Unvaccinated" with much easier exemption process. CCL and RCL have welcomed 10% unvaccinated for awhile now with stricter policies. Virgin appears to have loosened exemption process with the CDC news release this week. Starting with 10% unvaccinated seems reasonable to me, then, if it works, they can increase the percentage accordingly. 

Whenever this current wave that the US appears to be in abates would probably be a good time to try rolling back on vaccination.

5 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

If you test negative before a cruise, that doesn't tell you a whole lot, especially if the test is done 2 days before sailing.

But I don't think we can dismiss the value of a positive test. If you test positive before sailing and don't sail, you won't be spreading it to others onboard. The less people onboard that are spreading the virus, the more manageable cruising will be.

I'm not sure what the solution is, to be honest.

Pier-side rapid-testing would be better—not foolproof, but significantly better. I'm just not sure how they can implement that without making the embarkation process incredibly long. I would like to not have to bother with finding proctored testing ahead of time, and just bring a rapid-test to the pier.

All things considered I don't think there is a 'better' testing solution, and I don't see them putting any more effort into coming up with one.  I think it will just go away soon enough.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

All things considered I don't think there is a 'better' testing solution, and I don't see them putting any more effort into coming up with one.  I think it will just go away soon enough.

I think that's what they're counting on.

56 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I would guess that the CDC is still getting reports of covid numbers (even if voluntarily) from these lines.  It would not surprise me at all if they were still guiding the ship as it were, with regards to what the lines are doing.  Just seems too much of a coincidence that all the lines seem to be moving slowly to no pre-cruise test and 10% unvaccinated with no real exemption process other than not wanting to be vaccinated.  

Canada still requires testing so that is probably a big reason why pre-cruise testing is not going away immediately.  This is high season for Alaska so lots of ships calling in Canada.

I believe there are still some very good reasons for limiting unvaccinated passengers, so I think it's not surprising that lines are making similar decisions (and going slowly) even if they are determining them independently.

I am all for being done with pre cruise testing.  However,  for my own personal reasons, I feel more comfortable knowing my chances of contracting the virus while on the cruise seemed way less because almost everyone way just tested. Even thought they may have been already exposed and still not showing up as positive.  It was like a safety net.  It sort of set the odds.  

• Like 2

It may be a game of chicken right now.  Each of the big lines waiting for another to "blink."  It's time to move on from the CDC, because if they dignify the new "guidelines" by aligning with them, it will just prolong the agony.  Keep mandatory testing and the CDC will still be strongly recommending it ten years from now.  Blow them off and it may just go away.

• Like 5