Athens-Delphi and the Oracle excursion?

dcl999

1 minute ago, FetaCheese said:

Many capital letters in Greek are different than lower case.  Most advertising and store signage are in capital letters.  Takes awhile to become accustomed! 

Admire you for learning Greek.  A difficult language.

I didn’t say I learned “Greek” 🙀—I just studied up on the alphabet so I could read the signs for the turn-offs. You’d be surprised how many Greek words you’d understand once you can transliterate. But aren’t you Greek? Or just a Feta cheese lover? 🔱🤗

On 7/26/2023 at 12:50 PM, LindaS272 said:

I didn’t say I learned “Greek” 🙀—I just studied up on the alphabet so I could read the signs for the turn-offs. You’d be surprised how many Greek words you’d understand once you can transliterate. But aren’t you Greek? Or just a Feta cheese lover? 🔱🤗

Yes, of Greek heritage (4 grandparents).  Regrettably I only went to Greek School for 3 years.  I'm able to get by in Greece. Also a Feta cheese connoisseur!  There are so many. 

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 2:26 PM, Geri c said:

My husband and I went on our first Viking cruise in April this spring from Barcelona to Athens.  We added on the 4 night extension in Athens.

We did that same extension back in February as part of the Cities of Antiquities cruise from Rome to Athens. Terrific extension!  And, yep, sure enough we had a good amount of snow in Athens, and freezing cold! Steps going up to the Parthenon a bit dicey when snow covered.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:32 AM, longterm said:

On the 3rd excursion we visited Mycennae, which was another great ancient site and well worth the drive;

Did you get to the Tomb of Agamemnon while in Mycenae?  Pretty amazing! Our Viking guide was one of the best we've ever had for that extension. Those who wanted to went along with her on a pretty substantial walk. Scenery was incredible. There was one place where she got us to this "back door" (gate) that makes a creaking sound when opened. Said it's one of her favorite things to show people LOL. Our day at Delphi started and ended in the snow. By the time we got to Delphi (yes...long drive) it was sunny and beautiful. (Thanks, Apollo!)  And, the included lunches were fantastic. DW and I still talk about it.

47 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Did you get to the Tomb of Agamemnon while in Mycenae?  Pretty amazing! Our Viking guide was one of the best we've ever had for that extension. Those who wanted to went along with her on a pretty substantial walk. Scenery was incredible. There was one place where she got us to this "back door" (gate) that makes a creaking sound when opened. Said it's one of her favorite things to show people LOL. Our day at Delphi started and ended in the snow. By the time we got to Delphi (yes...long drive) it was sunny and beautiful. (Thanks, Apollo!)  And, the included lunches were fantastic. DW and I still talk about it.

We did; that was one of my favorite places as well--it was REALLY cold up there though, was snowing. Here are a couple of my Mycenae photos...

IMG_5331.jpeg

IMG_5332.jpeg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

We visited Mycenae last January. It was a beautiful sunny day and all the orange trees were full of colorful fruit. Viking pax were the only visitors there. The beehive tombs were deserted, making for some great shots.

IMG_9414.thumb.jpeg.f327ae2bd0f4e487b7edb8ecba25e94f.jpeg

IMG_9415.thumb.jpeg.1bb64b09eb57b3f4f8020b4d720f1b45.jpeg

IMG_9422.thumb.jpeg.d0e251cda51b737bebd706f6229fb0a6.jpeg

IMG_9418.thumb.jpeg.9b5544731e7080036e222736a56cfb3d.jpeg

IMG_9451.thumb.jpeg.9d5edfa95192c136b7fe0b05d5eb0966.jpeg

IMG_9443.thumb.jpeg.e2e1e29646de59cabbde66c8da96875d.jpeg

IMG_9453.thumb.jpeg.7dc656c12f62760994956f3fc61ae34e.jpeg

• Like 4

Thank you again for the great pictures and descriptions of the  excursions to Delphi and Mycenae . I have to wait till Feb 2025 for our Greek Odyssey  cruise.

A little snow flakes and cold temps  at higher elevations are fine with me , better than the heat of summer and the crowds of tourists. 

Feb in MN is no walk in  the park. 😂

I plan on bringing layers  including a quilted vest and light down jacket easy to pack .  What did you bring in way of outdoor wear?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Azulann said:

Thank you again for the great pictures and descriptions of the  excursions to Delphi and Mycenae . I have to wait till Feb 2025 for our Greek Odyssey  cruise.

A little snow flakes and cold temps  at higher elevations are fine with me , better than the heat of summer and the crowds of tourists. 

I plan on bringing layers  including a quilted vest and light down jacket easy to pack .  What did you bring in way of outdoor wear?

We hadn't planned on the colder weather, so bought caps and gloves once we were in Italy. In Greece, we wore jackets, gloves, and caps; if you plan to go in March or early April, plan on colder weather when you get to Delphi, which is at a higher elevation than Athens. I remember it being very windy and chilly on the Acropolis as well, and in Mycenae, where it also snowed, it was really cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gosh, what memories this brings back--I was in Mycenae and Delphi forty years ago--and just revisited Delphi last week!  Yes, it was scorchingly hot--and on our way home we saw plumes of smoke and wildfires very close to the highway! The sites were all opening extra early and closing mid-day due to the excessive heat. (If we would travel there with snow, my husband would want to head straight to the slopes!)

But, I just had to get to the Delphi museum to get my photo with the Naxos sphinx.  She is a sublime feline, and I just love animals.  Of course, there is something so wonderful about being in the "navel" of the world in the mountains, just waiting for a sacred message from the Oracle.  Nada.  Oh, well, I will just keep traveling.

P.S.  My father wanted to name me Clytemnestra, but the Church would not allow it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2023 at 9:31 AM, Azulann said:

We live in MN, too - Minnetonka. Did Greek Odyssey this past February and had our independent tour to Corinth canceled because of snow. It was an inch, maybe, so we were like “really”??? Our “guy” was great, though, and ended up giving us a wonderful tour of Athens, places not on our Viking included excursions and places only accessible in his taxi, rather than a tour bus. Highly recommend him. Kostas from George’s Taxi. To answer your question… we layered as we do in MN with a raincoat as the outer layer. Hat and mittens are generally always with us. As a good Minnesotan I’ll take the cold and snow over the heat they are experiencing now. You’ll love this trip! Hope you are doing the 4 day extension in Athens!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hazel52 said:

We live in MN, too - Minnetonka. Did Greek Odyssey this past February and had our independent tour to Corinth canceled because of snow. It was an inch, maybe, so we were like “really”??? Our “guy” was great, though, and ended up giving us a wonderful tour of Athens, places not on our Viking included excursions and places only accessible in his taxi, rather than a tour bus. Highly recommend him. Kostas from George’s Taxi. To answer your question… we layered as we do in MN with a raincoat as the outer layer. Hat and mittens are generally always with us. As a good Minnesotan I’ll take the cold and snow over the heat they are experiencing now. You’ll love this trip! Hope you are doing the 4 day extension in Athens!

Thank you so much for the for your post and reference about George's tax. We are doing the two night post extension and flying one day early on our own. I think I will hire them for a day tour. 

I went to Corinth many years ago. Saw the historical site of Corinth, the museum and had a boat ride through he Corinth canal. Sorry  that it was 1 inch of snow that kept you from experiencing it. 

Half of the ports I have been too but half will be new for me.

My sister has never been to Greece.

I do want to spend time in the Athen's archeology museum.I missed it the  last two times in Athens.

Cannot wait to eat some great Greek olives and feta cheese. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Azulann said:

Thank you so much for the for your post and reference about George's tax. We are doing the two night post extension and flying one day early on our own. I think I will hire them for a day tour. 

I went to Corinth many years ago. Saw the historical site of Corinth, the museum and had a boat ride through he Corinth canal. Sorry  that it was 1 inch of snow that kept you from experiencing it. 

Half of the ports I have been too but half will be new for me.

My sister has never been to Greece.

I do want to spend time in the Athen's archeology museum.I missed it the  last two times in Athens.

Cannot wait to eat some great Greek olives and feta cheese. 

Please tell me how you booked the boat ride through the Corinth Canal.

1 hour ago, HDS said:

Thanks for responding.  I'd like to find a Corinth Canal cruise for our trip to Greece next year. 

The canal has been closed for a couple of years due to landslides. It just reopened a month ago. Not sure if anyone’s offering sailing tours of it.

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, mimijes said:

Is it really as demanding as the description says?

I don't recall it being listed as demanding (?) I wouldn't categorize it that way. You'll be fine. A good part of the day is spent on the bus getting there and back. Definitely go for it. Well worth it. We had trekking poles with us, which worked well. Some of the steps are fairly high, so for shorter people that part can be a bit harder. It was a highlight of our Greece experience for sure. The provided lunch was terrific. Scenery from the bus alone was great.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, mimijes said:

Thanks for the information on the Delphi excursion . How long was the bus ride?  9.5 hour excursion is a long time!

It’s about a 2 hour bus ride but they stop at a cafe for a bathroom break on the way there and you stop at a restaurant for a meal on the way back. It was also a highlight of our Classic Greece extension. 
Here is our post about Delphi 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1