Alaska from Seattle - Ketchikan to Victoria BC

bar1068

Question about sort of an oddity to me on our Alaska cruise next week.

The latter part of our Alaska cruise next week stops as many do in Ketchikan AK. We depart Ketchikan Sunday at 1:00PM and arrive in Victoria 8:00PM Monday. Along the way I believe there is a time change. I find it odd the 30+ hours from Ketchikan to Victoria is nondescript on our cruise itinerary. Nothing about "Fun Day at Sea"...cruising along....nothing. Just the time apparently it will take between the 2 ports....obviously we'll be "cruising". Monday should look feel and smell like a sea day, until we stop in BC. 

Something we're wondering is would the Sea Day Brunch possibly be offered Monday morning?  

I'm sure we'll get a "feel" for that day once onboard, just odd to me a significant chunk of time, really a full day, is just like...there. Can they not call it a "sea day" if we stop at a port at 8pm?

7 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

Question about sort of an oddity to me on our Alaska cruise next week.

The latter part of our Alaska cruise next week stops as many do in Ketchikan AK. We depart Ketchikan Sunday at 1:00PM and arrive in Victoria 8:00PM Monday. Along the way I believe there is a time change. I find it odd the 30+ hours from Ketchikan to Victoria is nondescript on our cruise itinerary. Nothing about "Fun Day at Sea"...cruising along....nothing. Just the time apparently it will take between the 2 ports....obviously we'll be "cruising". Monday should look feel and smell like a sea day, until we stop in BC. 

Something we're wondering is would the Sea Day Brunch possibly be offered Monday morning?  

I'm sure we'll get a "feel" for that day once onboard, just odd to me a significant chunk of time, really a full day, is just like...there. Can they not call it a "sea day" if we stop at a port at 8pm?

It's basically a sea day with that mandatory Canada stop at night. We did have Sea Day brunch when I did it on Splendor in May. You can check out the fun times here.

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

It's basically a sea day with that mandatory Canada stop at night. We did have Sea Day brunch when I did it on Splendor in May. You can check out the fun times here.

Thanks for that link

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

This usually shows on Alaskan itineraries as "cruising the inland passage" and is considered a attraction as much as a port stop,

Thats the part I find odd. None of the booking information, manager/planner, nor the itinerary attached to the booking email show anything more than depart Ketchikan at 1, arrive Victoria at 8. Obviously we'll be cruising, but strange to me no mention of that. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

Thats the part I find odd. None of the booking information, manager/planner, nor the itinerary attached to the booking email show anything more than depart Ketchikan at 1, arrive Victoria at 8. Obviously we'll be cruising, but strange to me no mention of that. Thanks.

I think it’s because it is technically 2 port days in a row, although you have a long day cruising after Ketchikan and long day cruising the following day before arriving at Victoria.  

You are mandated by maritime laws to stop in a foreign port.  I  believe it’s the The Passenger Vessel act. . Don’t quite me on the exact name.   I’m on the same cruise in sept. You are only in Victoria for Four hours

Edited by TheSeagoer

Just an fyi, we saw so much sea life that day, so many whales. Chris, the naturalist, would come in and report. It’s a really good day to be on alert to look out for all kinds of good stuff, whales, birds, fish, porpoises, etc. 

• Like 1