Data Package include in the Have it all?

phoenix2009

I just wanted to enquire from past guests how reliabe the data package is thats included in the Have it all package? is it sufficient to surf the web, respond to emails and check social media? I also, understand there's an enhanced package available? Whats the typical upgrade cost for a 7 day cruise and is it worth it? Lastly, my wife and i have the package but kids do not, is it shareable? or should we purchase them their own package?

The Surf package in the HIA is fine unless you need the extra speed for streaming that is available in the Premium package.  The upgrade price for a seven day cruise is $40 once you are onboard.  Anyone who knows the password can share the internet connection.

Each internet account can have only one device connected at a time.  If any device tries to connect while another device is already connected, it will kick off the connected device. 

You can add three additional devices for $10/day on each account once onboard the ship.  You  cannot just add a single device to an account.  Price may vary on each ship.  This means that an account can have four devices connected at any one time.  With two accounts (one with a single device at a time) and one account with four devices at a time, everyone should be happy.

Edited by Crew News

Thanks for your response. Also, unfortunately i have payroll due while we are on the ship or my employees back home wont' get paid. I'm assuming i should upgrade my plan. I will only need access to the payroll website. Also, will i have to take my laptop down or is there a business center on board where i can have access to a desktop for 30 mins?

2 minutes ago, phoenix2009 said:

Thanks for your response. Also, unfortunately i have payroll due while we are on the ship or my employees back home wont' get paid. I'm assuming i should upgrade my plan. I will only need access to the payroll website. Also, will i have to take my laptop down or is there a business center on board where i can have access to a desktop for 30 mins?

After noting that you will be going to Alaska, I have to temper my earlier response.  Internet speed at sea so far north of the equator is terribly slow and spotty.  Upgrading to the Premium package will help some with speed but void areas cannot be overcome.

There should be a few computers for use while onboard but they will not permit the use of any USB devices.  They will not be any faster than the slow internet speeds in Alaska. I suggest that you do payroll using your laptop while in port and use your cell phone as a hotspot.  Cell phone connections in Alaska ports are excellent as soon as most of passengers disperse away from the cell towers near the dock. 

You can use the slow ship internet with less bandwidth competition (most passengers will be ashore) while in port and the signal should not be spotty.

• Like 2

Currently on the westerdam in Alaska. HAI internet has been quit sufficient for my needs. The only time o had issues was about 8am this morning. Everyone was waking up on their sea day. I even managed to stream a workout from peloton about 11am today. I expected to have that blocked, but it worked. 

There are some computers available, I haven’t seen anyone using them. Given this is payroll, I would assume you’d be better off for PII issues to bring your own computer. I wouldn’t want my boss doing payroll anything from a public computer. 

6 hours ago, phoenix2009 said:

I just wanted to enquire from past guests how reliabe the data package is thats included in the Have it all package? is it sufficient to surf the web, respond to emails and check social media? I also, understand there's an enhanced package available? Whats the typical upgrade cost for a 7 day cruise and is it worth it? Lastly, my wife and i have the package but kids do not, is it shareable? or should we purchase them their own package?

I think the answer is upgrade one pkg (yours) to the top package and add the additional log-ins to your other pkg for the kids to be able to occupy themselves at the same time. Then hope for the best from the satellites for your payroll!

I feel your pain!  I thought I had planned out my vacation so I would be home to do payroll on the day before I left and then the day after I returned.  Unfortunately, I counted wrong, and now I also have to do payroll mid-way through my vacation.  I am bringing my laptop to make sure I have all the connections and security needed.  One more thing to pack in my carry-on unfortunately.  Have a great cruise otherwise!

10 hours ago, phoenix2009 said:

For security purposes, will you need to use a VPN to do your payroll?  That could be a problem because others have reported that HAL blocks most VPNs.  If you need to use a VPN, that may be another reason you will need to do your work via cell service during a port stop rather than through ship satellite internet.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried calling in to have my package upgraded to higher speed internet and 2 logins added to my wifes account for my kids. The agent told me this can only be done once aboard? IS this correct? and what should the fee be to increase my speed? and to add 2 additional logins to my wifes account?

2 minutes ago, phoenix2009 said:

I tried calling in to have my package upgraded to higher speed internet and 2 logins added to my wifes account for my kids. The agent told me this can only be done once aboard? IS this correct? and what should the fee be to increase my speed? and to add 2 additional logins to my wifes account?

Upgrade price depends on your cruise length.  I was not able to add just a single new device to my account.  The charge to add three devices was $10/day.

• Thanks 1

Can you delegate someone at work to perform the payroll approvals? That would remove all concerns about a reliable shipboard connection, especially if you only have a limited window from final payroll numbers to approval. Being able to do it shore-based is probably the best way, especially if you need to use VPN or a reliable connection, but not sure your itinerary would line up with your payroll timing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SweetsugarNL said:

Gets every person acces with have it all?

Because you pay per person the package?

If your HAL booking document shows both persons 1 and 2 get the "Surf with promo," there will be two devices in the stateroom with separate access.