Steakhouse Questions

br76jook

We are dining in the Steakhouse on the Freedom during our upcoming cruise.  Does anyone know if you can order more than one appetizer?  There are so many good options!  Also, can you go in and order a drink from the bar without reservations?  Looks like they have the best bourbon selection on board.  Thanks

I recently ate at the steakhouse.  We were allowed to order multiple appetizers and desserts.  As for the bar, it is like any other bar on the ship.  People seem to think it is just for those eating in the restaurant, but you can go there at any time that they are open.

37 minutes ago, waytoodeep03 said:

Is this steak any different than what you get in the dining room?

Yes. Vastly different. Cooked to perfection, and very tender. I had the small filet. And for 9 oz. it was huge! i had it with the sautéed mushrooms. A perfect pairing. You absolutely cannot go wrong to treat yourself to the Steakhouse! :classic_wink:

• Like 5

Don't forget, if you book on the first night you get a free bottle of house wine.  Note though:  Make sure you ASK them when you are seated about it.  Our waitresses never even mentioned it.  I knew, and didn't care because we aren't wine drinkers, but I thought it wrong they didn't offer for those that might not know.  I heard another waiter a few tables offer speaking to all his tables when sat about it, ours just did not.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, waytoodeep03 said:

To be blunt...  I think if you are used to eating in the MDR, going to the steakhouse will change your entire perspective of eating on a Carnival ship. Everything is cooked to order in the steakhouse.

In the MDR, they have to feed so many, nearly all at once, that everything is prepped and pre-cooked, then held just below the ready to serve threshold until it's time to finish and send out hundreds of plates at once - like the buffet but on separate plates instead of a bin.

Even if you were to directly compare the upcharge steak in the MDR to the steakhouse... the rest of your meal is prepared to order from the salad to the main course. Yes, the service is better also, but honestly that is just because there are fewer tables per staff team.

Now that CdCap is reopened, between that and the steakhouse, I typically won't eat dinner in the MDR but one time per cruise.  

20 hours ago, waytoodeep03 said:

Back in the day a sirloin steak was offered in the MDR.  Then it became a flat iron steak.  Now it's a strip loin.  Each time a lower in quality piece of meat.  

There are higher quality choices in the steakhouse, filet, wagyu and rib eye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brkintx said:

To be blunt...  I think if you are used to eating in the MDR, going to the steakhouse will change your entire perspective of eating on a Carnival ship. Everything is cooked to order in the steakhouse.

In the MDR, they have to feed so many, nearly all at once, that everything is prepped and pre-cooked, then held just below the ready to serve threshold until it's time to finish and send out hundreds of plates at once - like the buffet but on separate plates instead of a bin.

Even if you were to directly compare the upcharge steak in the MDR to the steakhouse... the rest of your meal is prepared to order from the salad to the main course. Yes, the service is better also, but honestly that is just because there are fewer tables per staff team.

Now that CdCap is reopened, between that and the steakhouse, I typically won't eat dinner in the MDR but one time per cruise.  

What you said.

I have only sailed on ships with multiple specialty restaurants for years now. I too only eat in the MDR a maximum of one night per sailing (often never as my sailing on Mardi Gras in April and Horizon in September of last year). The food is actually quite good in the specialty restaurants. I would have stopped cruising Carnival years ago if not for these options. That said said, I booked on the Magic next month out of NYC because; my Mom has always wanted to go to Bermuda and it gives me the chance to fly up to New York a couple days early to party. I had reservations about the ship for it's lack of specialty dining. The pause in service on Cucina has made me consider not sailing. I booked 2 nights in Cucina, 2 nights in steakhouse and Chef's Table... I figured I could do Seafood Shack one night and only have to eat in the MDR once. Now that's all messed up. I just keep hoping they announce that Cucina will open next month... unfortunately it's almost August and it ain't happened yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WKUTopperFan said:

What you said.

I have only sailed on ships with multiple specialty restaurants for years now. I too only eat in the MDR a maximum of one night per sailing (often never as my sailing on Mardi Gras in April and Horizon in September of last year). The food is actually quite good in the specialty restaurants. I would have stopped cruising Carnival years ago if not for these options. That said said, I booked on the Magic next month out of NYC because; my Mom has always wanted to go to Bermuda and it gives me the chance to fly up to New York a couple days early to party. I had reservations about the ship for it's lack of specialty dining. The pause in service on Cucina has made me consider not sailing. I booked 2 nights in Cucina, 2 nights in steakhouse and Chef's Table... I figured I could do Seafood Shack one night and only have to eat in the MDR once. Now that's all messed up. I just keep hoping they announce that Cucina will open next month... unfortunately it's almost August and it ain't happened yet. 

Not sure on your sailing, but CdeCap is open and taking reservations on my Vista Aug 13 sailing… as is Chef’s table. Might be worth checking. Last official communication I got from CCL on topic said ‘thru July 31’ so I suppose an extension email would be coming any time now if one is coming..

56 minutes ago, redsox1584 said:

Thank you for asking this. I was wondering the same thing.  

I am eating at the steakhouse for the first time on the Panorama in September. I’ll order multiple things and report back 😂 

Note that while you can order multiple appetizers and multiple sides, even multiple deserts… unlike the MDR, ordering multiple mains in the steakhouse would result in an additional charge. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brkintx said:

Note that while you can order multiple appetizers and multiple sides, even multiple deserts… unlike the MDR, ordering multiple mains in the steakhouse would result in an additional charge. 

I don’t think I could eat more than one main dish anyways lol

• Haha 2

On 7/24/2022 at 9:42 AM, ineed-a-vacation said:

I recently ate at the steakhouse.  We were allowed to order multiple appetizers and desserts.  As for the bar, it is like any other bar on the ship.  People seem to think it is just for those eating in the restaurant, but you can go there at any time that they are open.

The alchemy bar was crowded so we went to the bar in the steakhouse on the Panorama . The bartender was very nice but she seemed very confused that we were there and seemed to have a hard time with our order..yes there were seats at the bar but I had the feeling they were not used very often!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pinto18 said:

The alchemy bar was crowded so we went to the bar in the steakhouse on the Panorama . The bartender was very nice but she seemed very confused that we were there and seemed to have a hard time with our order..yes there were seats at the bar but I had the feeling they were not used very often!

Maybe that needs to be my new, go to bar, when all the popular bars are slammed. Thanks!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Brkintx said:

Not sure on your sailing, but CdeCap is open and taking reservations on my Vista Aug 13 sailing… as is Chef’s table. Might be worth checking. Last official communication I got from CCL on topic said ‘thru July 31’ so I suppose an extension email would be coming any time now if one is coming..

They are accepting reservations for Cucina on my Aug 15 sailing. Chef's Table is not shown so I am assuming it is Sold Out. Hopefully I'll not miss Cucina or Chef's Table

11 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Back in the day a sirloin steak was offered in the MDR.  Then it became a flat iron steak.  Now it's a strip loin.  Each time a lower in quality piece of meat.  

There are higher quality choices in the steakhouse, filet, wagyu and rib eye.

Don't hold your breath for the Wagyu... 3 sailings so far this year and all 3 was told it wasn't available.  I think they aren't buying it to save $$$  May be phasing it out too, not sure.

On 7/24/2022 at 11:34 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

do they offer chimichurri in the steakhouse?

Yes, it's one of the sauces they offer and it's delicious.  I always order this with my filet. It's on the menu, no need to call ahead.

On 7/24/2022 at 11:01 AM, br76jook said:

We are dining in the Steakhouse on the Freedom during our upcoming cruise.  Does anyone know if you can order more than one appetizer?  There are so many good options!  Also, can you go in and order a drink from the bar without reservations?  Looks like they have the best bourbon selection on board.  Thanks

I went in March of Freedom.

2 Appetizers

1 Entree

2 Sides

1 Dessert

**If you get Art at Your Table it counts as the dessert for everyone

You need a reservation to visit their bar. The watermelon martini is delicious.

Edited by NanoGirl21

34 minutes ago, NanoGirl21 said:

I went in March of Freedom.

2 Appetizers

1 Entree

2 Sides

1 Dessert

**If you get Art at Your Table it counts as the dessert for everyone

You need a reservation to visit their bar. The watermelon martini is delicious.

Just off Sunrise and no more Art at the Table.  Was there earlier this year when we booked.  I think the menu has changed sometime between May and July.... We used to always get that.

On 7/25/2022 at 7:58 PM, WKUTopperFan said:

What you said.

Opens Aug 6 per John Heals