rooms available vs gty vs occupancy

So I am sure I am not alone in overthinking things.  with a huge 69 days until sailing, I am hoping to get my assignment at some point. None of this gets me any closer but I like information so some questions. 

First question, does the available rooms listed, the actual available rooms onboard? So if I log in and look over all categories that are available and lets say I add up 15 neighborhood balconies across all floors, do we think thats all the empty rooms?  I guess the question is, if yes, how do they account for the gty peeps? Do they do that by holding back certain rooms? better rooms shown in hopes of selling those?  when they switch to only they pick, what threshold have they crossed in terms of available?   I get there is a hierarchy of rooms represented in room category, crown and anchor and etc, and in a perfect world the formula to upgrade or move people around was predictable, and maybe it is. I can visualize how royal up works, but how does that effect the gty catagories.  I assume this is why I could be left roomless until I get onboard and I know none of this matters.  I am retired and at times for health reasons not very mobile, so I got all the time in the world to take these things to far, but I know I am not alone.  

Thanks in advance.  We dont always by gty, mostly we may start there, but during the approach we lock in a room at a lower rate.  because of covid, my health and many other factors, we took a break from vacation and cruising.  We kind of jumped back quickly.  Almost booked a christmas cruise with friends on carnival, but that cruise would have been 3x the cost.  I would rather the 3 cruises. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miyanc said:

So I am sure I am not alone in overthinking things.  with a huge 69 days until sailing, I am hoping to get my assignment at some point. None of this gets me any closer but I like information so some questions. 

First question, does the available rooms listed, the actual available rooms onboard? So if I log in and look over all categories that are available and lets say I add up 15 neighborhood balconies across all floors, do we think thats all the empty rooms?  I guess the question is, if yes, how do they account for the gty peeps? Do they do that by holding back certain rooms? better rooms shown in hopes of selling those?  when they switch to only they pick, what threshold have they crossed in terms of available?   I get there is a hierarchy of rooms represented in room category, crown and anchor and etc, and in a perfect world the formula to upgrade or move people around was predictable, and maybe it is. I can visualize how royal up works, but how does that effect the gty catagories.  I assume this is why I could be left roomless until I get onboard and I know none of this matters.  I am retired and at times for health reasons not very mobile, so I got all the time in the world to take these things to far, but I know I am not alone.  

Thanks in advance.  We dont always by gty, mostly we may start there, but during the approach we lock in a room at a lower rate.  because of covid, my health and many other factors, we took a break from vacation and cruising.  We kind of jumped back quickly.  Almost booked a christmas cruise with friends on carnival, but that cruise would have been 3x the cost.  I would rather the 3 cruises. 

There are pretty much always rooms available that are not listed on the website

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There are pretty much always rooms available that are not listed on the website

Hw do we know that?  is that all a marketing ploy?  Does that start at the beginning? So if I went to book the day the ship opened up would I have access to every room? when would that end? I assume they block off rooms everytime a gty is purchased, but sometimes knowingly push people up or expect some movement thru royal up.

1 minute ago, miyanc said:

Hw do we know that?  is that all a marketing ploy?  Does that start at the beginning? So if I went to book the day the ship opened up would I have access to every room? when would that end? I assume they block off rooms everytime a gty is purchased, but sometimes knowingly push people up or expect some movement thru royal up.

Royals site has never shown every available room.  I am a TA and have access to the booking site that shows more cabins than Royals site yet even it will not show cabins that Revenue has held back for various reasons

• Like 4

It won’t help you yet but once you check in and get your set sail pass, if you have an Apple phone (not sure if it works on Android) and add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet, the number under the barcode to the right is the cabin number they currently have assigned to you, even if it still says GTY. 

3 minutes ago, Ivana Cruise said:

It won’t help you yet but once you check in and get your set sail pass, if you have an Apple phone (not sure if it works on Android) and add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet, the number under the barcode to the right is the cabin number they currently have assigned to you, even if it still says GTY. 

Yes it works on android also.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

My thoughts are that if you want to know what room you have don't book a gty room.  Otherwise, wait and pray for the best. 

I tried to hedge that off in the op.  I 100% know and understand the risk and reason for going gty.  Like many things in life choices and what they are.  That doesnt mean it has to end there.  Rarely does my brain relax.  All my life, I have tried to look into and answer questions about things in all aspects.  This is no exception.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royals site has never shown every available room.  I am a TA and have access to the booking site that shows more cabins than Royals site yet even it will not show cabins that Revenue has held back for various reasons

I remember years ago using various online booking sites you could look up rooms and they would show different rooms available.  I also enjoyed ***** for the information it could provide.  

17 minutes ago, Ivana Cruise said:

yes, someone pointed that out. i guess 24 days for that.  Even though this question cam about as a result of my lack of room assignment, I still just like knowing stuff.  ty

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ivana Cruise said:

I'm getting my first (and probably last) GTY cabin. We found the room number when we were allowed to check in at 45 days; it popped up with a room number on their site the day that e-docs were available.

It's odd that they knew the number but didn't officially post it, so they must have been keeping the room in play for whatever reason.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Betatlake said:

also now that I though of it, if it still says gty and you do the room number thing and call cs will they tell you the room?  If they hold back I wonder if its because it still may get changed? Anyone ever do the room trick and get a different room.  I remember a few years ago, not sure which cruise line, but they didnt get a room assignment and when aboard given a room, only to find someone else in the room, only to find out the ship was full and had to exit the ship.  or something like that. 

2 minutes ago, flamingos said:

I'm getting my first (and probably last) GTY cabin. We found the room number when we were allowed to check in at 45 days; it popped up with a room number on their site the day that e-docs were available.

It's odd that they knew the number but didn't officially post it, so they must have been keeping the room in play for whatever reason.

when its just me and my wife, we plan ahead and book a room i know or research.  generally when we have done the gty its because we were doing the whole family and cost becomes a greater issue.  I would rather take more vacations and do more on those vacations then pick a room.  not that those are exclusive.  

Just now, miyanc said:

I wonder if a ta could see it or if I asked for that room, would it be available.  

@Ourusualbeach can confirm, but don't think they have any better view than you and no, that cabin won't be available, nor can you do anything with that info (like ask for a move to another location) until it is officially assigned.

50 minutes ago, Betatlake said:

Would someone please post instructions on how to do this on Android?  Simple instructions, please.  

I can see my Set Sail Pass, and it has a bar code, but no number is anywhere nearby.  The only number I can see is my reservation number, and I don't think it holds any secrets.  

32 minutes ago, flamingos said:

We're doing a guarantee for our upcoming cruise too -- I'm not sure if I'm satisfied with this choice or not.  This is our first cruise as a retired couple, and we're trying to do it budget-basement style.  

We just did our check-in (we sail in early September), and I can see our floor (and our muster station) but not our room number.  I'm thinking they already have us tentatively assigned to a room, but they're waiting to see if somehow they can make more money.  I don't see HOW that would work, but I rolled the guarantee dice, and they have every right to wait. 

30 minutes ago, miyanc said:

also now that I though of it, if it still says gty and you do the room number thing and call cs will they tell you the room?  If they hold back I wonder if its because it still may get changed? Anyone ever do the room trick and get a different room.  I remember a few years ago, not sure which cruise line, but they didnt get a room assignment and when aboard given a room, only to find someone else in the room, only to find out the ship was full and had to exit the ship.  or something like that. 

No, they won't tell you your room number.  We just had a price drop, and I called to ask for a price match -- I was secretly hoping the online representative would give me our room assignment, but before I could work up to asking, she asked if I wanted to "upgrade" and choose my own room.  She said guarantees aren't assigned until literally the day before sailing.  That doesn't match what I've heard online (and it seems unrealistic to think people could print luggage tags that late), so I kinda think she was trying to push me to upgrade.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

32 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Not letting you know the room number prevents a couple possibilities

- you switching to a different room

- you getting a price drop (CWC) on the newly assigned catgeory

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

@Ourusualbeach can confirm, but don't think they have any better view than you and no, that cabin won't be available, nor can you do anything with that info (like ask for a move to another location) until it is officially assigned.

Correct, TA's can't see a room before the guest in the app.  They are fed from the same field so we see them at the same time

11 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Would someone please post instructions on how to do this on Android?  Simple instructions, please.  

I can see my Set Sail Pass, and it has a bar code, but no number is anywhere nearby.  The only number I can see is my reservation number, and I don't think it holds any secrets.  

I don’t know what the Android equivalent of the Apple Wallet is but if you bring up that bar code on one device & scan it with another you should see the numbers. The digits after the dash are your cabin number.

Mum2 

I am not sure if Google wallet has the same feature, just switched from years of Samsung to a pixel phone and all isn't set up yet, but there are several upc apps in Google play.  Like the 1s you use to identify items to buy from the box.  Maybe even things like Google lens.  What you need is something to translate the upc.  Like a analog version of the qr codes.  The bar code is literally just a universal number decoding system.  Once you have the number, your room should be the last set ( not sure how they do 3,4 or 5 digit codes.  

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Nice lie to make you pay for an upgrade.

I thought the same thing, but I couldn't very well say that to the online representative ... especially while she was processing a price drop for me.  

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I don’t know what the Android equivalent of the Apple Wallet is but if you bring up that bar code on one device & scan it with another you should see the numbers. The digits after the dash are your cabin number.

Thanks, I'm going to try it.  

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

You can just use a QR scanner to read the bar code.

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Print out a copy of your Set Sail Pass

Use a QR Code / Barcode scanner on your mobile phone to scan the bar code.

On my iPhone it says invalid barcode but at the  bottom it show Barcode 

and then 10 digit number a dash and a four digit number that is our cabin number.

• Like 1