rooms available vs gty vs occupancy

6 hours ago, miyanc said:

I remember years ago using various online booking sites you could look up rooms and they would show different rooms available.  I also enjoyed ***** for the information it could provide.  

I am trying to figure out what verb was starred out but I can't come up with anything. Did you do that or was it done for you?

10 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

I am trying to figure out what verb was starred out but I can't come up with anything. Did you do that or was it done for you?

It was automatic as that site is not allowed to be named on CC 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SG65CB said:

I am trying to figure out what verb was starred out but I can't come up with anything.

It’s not a verb, but a European TA site- still works very well for a quick look at inventory. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It was automatic as that site is not allowed to be named on CC 

It's funny, because it doesn't exist anymore.  I love hoa's and mods.  Just what we need law and order.  Keeps everything so clean.  Keep up the noble work.  

9 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

So I scanned the bar code, and after the dash I see GYT /no room number.  Oh, well.  

It's never happened to me but I have seen others report that. Sorry, you'll just have to wait it out.

I have always been satisfied when I booked a GTY cabin. Maybe it's just luck. I've only really ever been disappointed with one cabin that I selected myself because it looked bigger on the deck plan (Norwegian). Turns out it was the same size--just more square. You had to practically climb over the bed to use the sofa.

Oh, just remembered the Disney cruise cabin which had a sewage smell coming from the ceiling vent--but that could happen regardless.

My understanding is that it is rare for them to literally wait until the last minute to assign a room. Chances are you will have an opportunity to switch to another cabin of the same category at some point.

You probably can't infer too much about the specific rooms available by doing a mock booking. I'm sure there is a substantial amount of "musical chairs" going on as upgrades happen, GTYs are assigned, and people get bumped. 

• Like 1

I would have to look at my numbers to see.  The worst room I ever had, I picked.  Our first balcony and the room was incredible.  Corner on the liberty.  The only reason it was bad was due to smokers.  I truly wish we could pick smoke free cruises. Anyway we couldn't open the door because of the influx of smoke coming from anyone up the line that was smoking.  We are generally easy going enough.  Roll with it.  The only other issue I recall ever having was the first cruise we took the kids.  4 of us in the room and it was on an old carnival ship and the ac wasnt doing well.  We called a few times and at some point they got it working.  Just being overly informational. 

On 7/25/2022 at 7:43 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

So I scanned the bar code, and after the dash I see GYT /no room number.  Oh, well.  

I've continued scanning, and I have a number now -- and I'm very happy with it!  Once a guarantee is assigned, is it likely to "stick" or do they ever change things around? 

On 7/26/2022 at 10:09 PM, miyanc said:

The worst room I ever had, I picked.  Our first balcony and the room was incredible.  Corner on the liberty.  The only reason it was bad was due to smokers.  

Yeah, but that was bad neighbors, not a bad room.  We can never anticipate who might have the rooms near us. 

20 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've continued scanning, and I have a number now -- and I'm very happy with it!  Once a guarantee is assigned, is it likely to "stick" or do they ever change things around? 

Very likely to stick but there are always exceptions.

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yeah, but that was bad neighbors, not a bad room.  We can never anticipate who might have the rooms near us. 

No you are right.  But it was to much and 2 often to be just 1.  And I get those people were breaking the rules but either way it's like getting a room near the elevator or stairs.  And maybe 9 out of 10 cruises don't experience that or maybe my cruise was an iron lung convention.  Either way, we won't book a balcony towards the back ( unless boardwalk or like in this case a gty and you get what u get).

On 7/24/2022 at 11:55 PM, DaKahuna said:

Print out a copy of your Set Sail Pass

Use a QR Code / Barcode scanner on your mobile phone to scan the bar code.

On my iPhone it says invalid barcode but at the  bottom it show Barcode 

and then 10 digit number a dash and a four digit number that is our cabin number.

If you have two devices, you can just scan the page that has the QR code on it, without actually printing it out.  Even easier.

2 minutes ago, flamingos said:

If you have two devices, you can just scan the page that has the QR code on it, without actually printing it out.  Even easier.

You can also add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet (if you use Apple devices) to see the numbers under the bar code.

• Like 1