Dover hotels near port

I've been looking at hotels in Dover near the port and would appreciate some reviews and recommendations.  Maison Dieu Guest House, Best Western, Royal Norfolk to name a few. Anything you could tell me would be appreciated.  There will be 5 of us so I would need one single room and 2 doubles. Planning to go to Southampton seems a lot simpler.  But we're looking at a Carnival cruise that begins and ends in Dover.

Thanks, Lynn

Premier Inn Dover Central (linked to excellent pub / restaurant) and Best Western Plus Dover Marina are both on the waterfront. Best Western a 15 min walk from the cruise terminal, Premier Inn 20 mins.

We've stayed at that Premier Inn, excellent budget+,

There's also a Travelodge on the other side of the main docks road.

JB 🙂

Thank you.  I want to take my son and daughter and their spouses on a cruise and they are running me in all directions -- British Isles or Med  with Princess,  Europe with Carnival or Med with NCL.  So I'm looking at hotels in Southampton, Dover and Rome.  I'm beginning to be sorry I thought of this idea.  My husband and I  have been on many cruises.  But he passed away 3 years ago and I would like to do a trip with the "kids" before I'm too old to travel.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gunnywife said:

Thank you.  I want to take my son and daughter and their spouses on a cruise and they are running me in all directions -- British Isles or Med  with Princess,  Europe with Carnival or Med with NCL.  So I'm looking at hotels in Southampton, Dover and Rome.  I'm beginning to be sorry I thought of this idea.  My husband and I  have been on many cruises.  But he passed away 3 years ago and I would like to do a trip with the "kids" before I'm too old to travel.

Public transport in S E England (indeed, even throughout England) is London-centric.

All public transport options for travel to Dover from a "London" airport is a pain, to Southampton by  direct bus (from LHR) or train (from LGW) is simpler. But either airport to central London is very very easy with a number of options.

And if you spend pre-cruise time in central London, both Dover and Southampton have excellent links from central London.

From London or its airports, most folk travel down to Dover or Southampton on sailing day, altho' Dover is mebbe worth considering a day earlier (to visit Dover Castle), and Southampton much the same for a variety of options.

But Rome is as iconic as London, both are well worth several days pre-cruise, though both are expensive. If you're planning to pay for the kids' cruise, mebbe give them the option of adding a few days pre-cruise if they pay the extra cost.

JB 🙂

We stayed at the Premier Inn Dover on Folkestone Road.  I was really happy with the room, liked the restaurant next door and the price was so reasonable.  Not close to the port, and there are several local hotels in this chain so I've read it's important to have the address of the one you want the taxi driver to take you to.  This one was set in the country across the road from a pasture with sheep.  

• Like 1

I stayed at Premier Inn Central (Eastern Ferry Terminal) in Dover.  We took the meal plan - breakfast and dinner. A short taxi to the dock.  Walk through their parking lot and you are at the water front.  We could see our ship in the morning.

We took a taxi to/from Dover Castle.

• Like 1