Alaska CruiseTour luggage question

jeffndallas

6 minutes ago, jeffndallas said:

Any limitations on number/size of luggage for motor coach and train on land tour 8A? 

My assumption is that there would be a limitation of some sort, there would almost have to be the way some people travel.  I'd go to the various tour companies offering tours in the area(s) you want to go.

No restriction.   At least on our tour when you checkin at your meeting at the hotel they will give you two different color luggage tags.   One color tags stay on the bus for the entire journey and the other color is delivered to your room each evening.   Most only have one bag for delivery to their room each evening.     On our trip while we took a train trip the bus met us on the other end of the train journey.

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

No restriction.   At least on our tour when you checkin at your meeting at the hotel they will give you two different color luggage tags.   One color tags stay on the bus for the entire journey and the other color is delivered to your room each evening.   Most only have one bag for delivery to their room each evening.     On our trip while we took a train trip the bus met us on the other end of the train journey.

We have done 2 land/cruise tours and the same applied.  No restrictions, but they did ask that if at all possible we try to keep what we needed for the land part in one suitcase. But the suitcase that was tagged for the ship and kept in the bus was available if you needed it.  You just had to ask and they would find it and get it out.  

When we sailed with Princess on a Land/Sea tour, we packed two different sets of luggage. One for land, one for sea. Princess took the sea based luggage and held it until we got to the ship. 

All told we had four pieces of luggage, 2 full sized pieces of luggage and two carry-ons, plus two backpacks. So for the land portion, 1 full size and 1 carry on came with us. 

The BEST piece of Alaska advice I can give you is to purchase a 3 In 1 jacket from a company like Land's End. Fleece inner liner, waterproof windbreaker outer liner. Can wear the fleece or the windbreaker individually or together as one jacket. That was the only jacket we took with us for the 17 days we spent in Alaska and then Vancouver. 

The other advice is layers. It might be 38 in the morning and 68 by afternoon. The ability to peel off layers, especially if you're on an excursion is awesome. And those chemical warmers for gloves and shoes do work, and they work well. I only needed them for my boots one time but I was so glad I had them for a white water rafting trip. 🙂  

Have an AMAZING time in Alaska, simply one of the best cruise experiences ever. 

On 7/27/2022 at 11:42 AM, itsanita said:

We have done 2 land/cruise tours and the same applied.  No restrictions, but they did ask that if at all possible we try to keep what we needed for the land part in one suitcase. But the suitcase that was tagged for the ship and kept in the bus was available if you needed it.  You just had to ask and they would find it and get it out.  

We are going Northbound. Is the bus really going to stop at all of the same stops as the train, so if needed, mid-tour access could be accomplished?

12 hours ago, jeffndallas said:

We are going Northbound. Is the bus really going to stop at all of the same stops as the train, so if needed, mid-tour access could be accomplished?

I'm not sure what your question is.  If your asking if the bus with all your luggage goes to the same stops as you.  Yes. 

When you are on the train portion of the tour, your bus will meet you at your next stop with all the luggage.  They will then put the luggage marked for the land tour at your hotel room door/or in your hotel room if they get there before you.  The rest stays on the bus unless you indicate that you need something in one of the other (marked for the cruise) suitcases.

Recent Alaska land tour and cruise tour this summer on Celebrity. No real restriction.....however, some "hotels" did not have elevators----but the bus driver and helpers delivered bigger bags to the room door. I felt glad we only asked them to transport the two "larger and smaller" four wheel rolling bags (typical for travel) that DH and I had. You were responsible for the items you had on the bus with you (back packs/totes etc)......While on the bus portion of the tour, the bigger bags went underneath the bus and smaller bags (think back pack, totes etc) went on top with passengers. Do not expect to get smaller roll ons (like you might get to fit up top on a larger plane) on the top/seating area of the bus every day unless you have someone who can lift it and unless you are sure, and I mean sure it will fit in the overhead compartments (which are smaller than an airline). There may or may not be extra seats on the bus for "storing" items and the room under the seats is  ok for a small bag but not a larger bag. All larger luggage/bags however are delivered to your room each day and on travel mornings are to be outside the roomdoor or at a specific site at a specific time for loading on the coach.

When and if you go on the train portion, the guide will tell you, noooooo large bags on the train with you. Only what will fit in your lap, because the top of the train car is glass and without storage and the seats are all filled with people on the train (that was true)....I packed our meds and important items in a backpack like bag that I could fit on my lap. DH carried his CPAP on his lap and a small bag and the rest of the luggage went I believe on a bus/truck to meet the train at the end of the train portion (only a few hours).

The land portion is a multistop trip and the fewer bags you have to keep track of the better. My husband has CPAP to add to our "bag count." I also found it most helpful that the smaller tote etc that I carried every day on the land portion would totally close. Open totes/bags are more likely to lose items on this tyoe of trip. HTH.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 7:47 AM, itsanita said:

I'm not sure what your question is.  If your asking if the bus with all your luggage goes to the same stops as you.  Yes. 

When you are on the train portion of the tour, your bus will meet you at your next stop with all the luggage.  They will then put the luggage marked for the land tour at your hotel room door/or in your hotel room if they get there before you.  The rest stays on the bus unless you indicate that you need something in one of the other (marked for the cruise) suitcases.

Thank you. You answered the precise question I asked.

• Like 1