Booked Haven Suite on Epic - so angry before even leaving

ASD19001

Once again, a CC thread has simultaneously made me chuckle and shake my head at the same time.

Plus, got some insight to how others treat crew on board (“wake me when you leave?”  Really?).

Haven is still available to the guest who is “displaced”.  Riding an elevator to get there is NOT a big deal.  I have never stayed in the Haven proper (always in Haven Spa Suite).  Always use the stairs to get to the Haven bar and restaurant.  Is that really a “chore”?

I love traveling solo.  One of the reasons is I’m not tripping over others in the cabin.  I don’t have to wait for them to get in or out of the bathroom.

I guess you could push it and get some sort of compensation, maybe.  But to me, this scenario is a win-win.  The person staying in the solo balcony is the winner and so are the folks staying in the Haven Suite, as there will be one less person in what sounds like a very crowded cabin.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 16

9 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

If you are OK with paying for a Haven room and sleeping in a balcony, that's great for you. Not sure I understand why you would want to do that, but it's your choice. I just would expect some sort of discount if it happened to me, so I don't think that the original poster is off base at all in expecting that.

If I was one of the losers stuck sleeping on a sofa bed and my alarm clock was a guy setting up pancakes, I’d be THRILLED to be sleeping in my own cabin, waking when I chose, and heading to the haven at my leisure (I eat a few hours after waking and the thought of food arriving while sleeping is not appetizing). Best of both worlds.

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

But if there is any Haven room available for upgrades, then why not give that Haven Room to OP?

I don’t think it is clear that the ability to upgrade is an indication that rooms are actually available. They just appear to offer everything regardless.

12 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

But in this case the OP is paying for Haven for everyone.  

I suspect that 5 in the Haven room is probably cheaper than 4 in the Haven and a solo in a balcony. My point (in response to the post I quoted) was that some people are willing to pay these amounts for such a set up, which would suggest that they would be happy with it.

15 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Once again, a CC thread has simultaneously made me chuckle and shake my head at the same time.

Plus, got some insight to how others treat crew on board (“wake me when you leave?”  Really?).

Haven is still available to the guest who is “displaced”.  Riding an elevator to get there is NOT a big deal.  I have never stayed in the Haven proper (always in Haven Spa Suite).  Always use the stairs to get to the Haven bar and restaurant.  Is that really a “chore”?

I love traveling solo.  One of the reasons is I’m not tripping over others in the cabin.  I don’t have to wait for them to get in or out of the bathroom.

I guess you could push it and get some sort of compensation, maybe.  But to me, this scenario is a win-win.  The person staying in the solo balcony is the winner and so are the folks staying in the Haven Suite, as there will be one less person in what sounds like a very crowded cabin.

image.jpeg.a00afde97f5efbc2b587aa44b767a0c0.jpeg

• Haha 2

Another vote for this seeming like a dream for the sofa-sleeping-guest, if I was in those shoes. I'd jump on the chance to take the balcony in this instance! There's gotta be someone in the group that would like a little more privacy. And a real bed over a sofa bed.

Edited by weltek
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

How do you have the exact same experience if you are in a balcony cabin? For example, one of my favorite Haven features is having the butler quietly set the table for breakfast with a white tablecloth, hot, fresh French press coffee and warm almond croissants while I am still sleeping - and then waking me on his way out.  Awesome vacation experience. Not happening while you are sleeping on a balcony.

Different story if there was some financial compensation. But for the same price?? Not the same service at all.

Not everyone in your party may agree that your breakfast arrangements are more valuable than sleeping in a private room (and bed) and riding an elevator to get breakfast with you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

But if there is any Haven room available for upgrades, then why not give that Haven Room to OP?  I know why - revenue. But regardless, I think that's the OP's point, if there is a Haven avaialbel, give them that instead of the balcony.

OK. 

I read it as the OP thinking that the entire group could be able to move to a different/higher (DOS) stateroom. 

I'm still trying to figure out what the original sleeping arrangements were for 5. If 2 are in the bedroom, 2 are in the 2nd bedroom, and 1 on the sofa, all 5 can fit. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

24 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I'm still trying to figure out what the original sleeping arrangements were for 5. If 2 are in the bedroom, 2 are in the 2nd bedroom, and 1 on the sofa, all 5 can fit. 

Only thing I can think of is that they don’t count a sofa as a sleep surface unless it pulls out into a bed (even a twin bed).  

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

You are NOT using your butler to the fullest.  When we stay in the Haven Spa Suites and need to make that arduous journey down the hall, around the corner, and up that interminable single flight of stairs we call our butler and have him carry us horsey-back.  If we're sleeping we ask that he make gentle "neighing" sounds until we awake, nuzzle the sleep from our eyes, and say "Your horsey ride is here, your worshipfulness."  It really elevates the Haven experience .

• Like 1
  • Haha 24

18 minutes ago, raitch said:

Only thing I can think of is that they don’t count a sofa as a sleep surface unless it pulls out into a bed (even a twin bed).  

If that's the case, guest 5 could sleep in the pullman bed that's in the 2nd bedroom. I'm guessing that 2 (master bedroom) +3 (2 in bed, 1 in pullman above) won't work. 

I'm still trying to figure out how the loss of the sofa bed dropped sleeping capacity from potentially 6 to 4. 

EDIT

Is it the sofa bed in the 2nd bedroom that is the problem? If it is, the sleeping would be 2 in master bedroom, 1 on sofa bed in living room, and 1 on the pullman in 2nd bedroom (total 4). If a basic sofa is put there, guest 5 can sleep on it. If nothing is put there, only 4 could sleep in the suite. 

48 minutes ago, weltek said:

Another vote for this seeming like a dream for the sofa-sleeping-guest, if I was in those shoes. I'd jump on the chance to take the balcony in this instance! There's gotta be someone in the group that would like a little more privacy. And a real bed over a sofa bed.

Totally agree.   We are also in this same cabin category next March on the Epic and I know my two young adult children would be fighting over who "wins" the balcony cabin for sleeping only.     I also tried to book an additional cabin for sleeping purposes for a potential fifth passenger and was not permitted.    

OP, you definitely have reason to be unhappy that NCL is not providing what you booked and paid for. If you really want everyone in the same room, it seems as though they should be able to make that happen. But, as others have said, the person who was going to be stuck on the pull out couch might find that having their own balcony cabin for sleeping to actually be a positive. I am pretty sure I would! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If that's the case, guest 5 could sleep in the pullman bed that's in the 2nd bedroom. I'm guessing that 2+3 won't work. 

I'm still trying to figure out how the loss of the sofa bed dropped sleeping capacity from potentially 6 to 4. 

Having never been allowed pas the gates of steerage I was unaware of the bed configuration in the Haven.  I assumed the sofa was convertible into beds 5 & 6 (like a hotel sleeper sofa).  If you are saying one of the 6 beds is actually in one of the BRs, then I agree something doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, agrimm01 said:

If I was in the same situation I would count my blessings.  Another room that has Haven availability, sounds like a win-win.

BINGO!     5 Adults in one Haven Cabin? Not a chance in hell I'm one of them LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I assumed the sofa was convertible into beds 5 & 6 (like a hotel sleeper sofa).

I'm starting to think that the sofa bed in the 2nd bedroom is the problem. That one sleeps 1 or 2. If NCL removed it completely from the room and replaced it with nothing, the sleeping capacity would be 4. 

10 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I'm starting to think that the sofa bed in the 2nd bedroom is the problem. That one sleeps 1 or 2. If NCL removed it completely from the room and replaced it with nothing, the sleeping capacity would be 4. 

The bed in the second bedroom isn't a traditional sofa bed.   It's a futon arrangement, also called a fold down bed.  Doesn't seem likely to fail but don't know in this case.

15 minutes ago, davencl said:

The bed in the second bedroom isn't a traditional sofa bed.   It's a futon arrangement, also called a fold down bed. 

That's why the OP's use of "sofa bed" made me think of the living room....

19 hours ago, ASD19001 said:

THEN, we get a phone call today saying that the sofa bed in our room is broken and can only be replaced with a normal sofa (does not open to a bed), so our room that we were told would sleep 6 now only sleeps 4.   

...but even if that is the case, a "normal sofa" can be used for sleeping, IMO. 

TBH, if you throw a twin mattress on the floor, someone could sleep on it. 😉

(I still think that giving someone their own balcony room is better but if all 5 really want to share the suite...)

• Like 1

My guess on the sleeping arrangement is; 2 in Master bedroom, 2 in second bedroom (one upper and one lower)  the lower bed is not really good for 2 people unless they are small children.  That would have put the 5th person on the sleeper sofa in the living room.

If they replaced the sleeper sofa with a regular sofa then that may be an issue.  Many of the sofas on NCL are not really full size sofas.  They are often more a love seat size or maybe a little bigger, not really something someone would want to sleep on for a week.  the only other option would be a rollaway, which would be a bit of a pain.

I'm with many of the others here.  I would take my own balcony cabin with a real bed and my own bathroom over a sofa bed any time.

To the OP.  I hope you're able to work this out somehow and don't let this spoil your cruise.

Having just been on Bliss in 18700 it has a master bedroom, 2nd bedroom and a sofa in the lounge that converts to a bed. So cabin could sleep 6.

However. If 1 or 2 people were on the sofa bed they would not have their own bathroom or wardrobe space and any one in the other two bedrooms needed something from the lounge or wanted to go on the balcony they would disturb them

And as for the butler bringing breakfast while we slept - he would also disturb the people in the sofa bed as its where the table is. (not that ever have room service as we prefer to walk the 50 yards to the Haven Restaurant and have the hot food we fancy at that moment. 

On the MegaCruise on Pearl in 2019 I had a balcony cabin on 11 near the elevators and a Haven key card to go to meet my friends in the band I was looking after. Room to Haven -1 minute. 

The balcony cabin is an excellent offer in my opinion

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ASD19001 said:

Yes, they can access the Haven but have to go up and down the elevators to / from their room all the time.  This is a family trip and we paid for the larger room so we can all be together.  How can it be ok to have your room downgraded but not be offered any refund or compensation at all?  How is ok for them to take this person's money and then not give what they paid for?  Am I really supposed to just be ok with that?  

Since they are only going to sleep there, seems like a bonus to me!  Aah, the quiet, the extra bathroom…

• Like 1

OP never said it was a 2bdr, all we got was that all the adults  staying in the same room paid the same. My burning question is who got the master bedroom if all the adults paid the same? Did we have to pull straws or what, no way I’d volunteer to be on the couch 😂

12 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

How do you have the exact same experience if you are in a balcony cabin? For example, one of my favorite Haven features is having the butler quietly set the table for breakfast with a white tablecloth, hot, fresh French press coffee and warm almond croissants while I am still sleeping - and then waking me on his way out.  Awesome vacation experience. Not happening while you are sleeping on a balcony.

Different story if there was some financial compensation. But for the same price?? Not the same service at all.

Wait, aren't some of your guests sleeping in the living room? Near the table? And you want the butler to set up for breakfast? That's just creepy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

This seems simple to me.

Couples or just 4 people make use of the 2 BR in the Suite.  Other two make use of the "free" balcony and the separate twin beds.  

Done as EVERYONE still gets all the Haven amenities except the stalker Butler bringing in breakfast while everyone sleeps.  FWIW - The Butler can still setup for 6 people, and the 2 ostracized members can just join the others when ready.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2