How much for renting a complete tuxedo and shoes?

Hello all,

When I went to Europe, I thought I would fly back to the US so I did not bring my tuxedo, shirt and shoes with me. But then I booked a ticket on QM2 to travel to NYC. I know it's possible to rent clothing on board. Does anybody know how much it would cost to rent a tuxedo suit, shirt and shoes for the crossing?

Thank you!

A few years back [2018?], it was suggested to purchase an off the rack tux at [for example] Marks and Spencer at the West Quay mall in Southampton. Looking at their web site it shows 99 pounds for a "Black Regular Fit Tuxedo Suit". 

Add a shirt and tie and you get to keep the Tux for your next formal event.

This old thread indicated rental prices started at $90 for one night [the thread has a dead link into the old Cunard FAQ page for the price list]. 

Pasting in part of the Cunard FAQ [2018 prices],  pasted into the old thread...

Black Tuxedo Packages**

Includes Dinner Jacket, trousers, shirt, bow tie & handkerchief.

Number of Nights - Cost (USD)

1 - $90

2 - $125

3 - $170

4 - $210

5 - $250

Shoes are not part of the rental - I would think almost any black shoes would be suitable - even sneakers 😉

The bow ties available on board were the pre-tied variety. On our 2019 crossing a passenger presented a hands on seminar on bow tie tying - standing room only in one of the tender lounges.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

A dark suit will work as well on formal evenings and may be less expensive than a tux and still useful. Enjoy your crossing!

Good suggestion - since a dark suit (which will not need black shoes or dress shirt) will cost very little more than a tux rental (if anything) and leave you with something for future use.

1 hour ago, EuropeanAmericanTraveler said:

Thank you for your very thorough answer! I have already a tux suit and shirt, a bow tie (and shoes) but they stayed at home... Buying a new tux at M&S seems like the best option but then I don't need 2 tux...

Maybe I'll go with rental if it's still available.

...and how do you know they have your size available?

Best idea is to buy a low price one and give it away (to the crew?) at the end of the trip. You also save money that way.

• Like 1

Shoes 😱   I'm afraid you will not be able to rent 'Shoes onboard Cunard',  best to invest in a new pair of shoes and perhaps rent a tux.    Better still , maybe visit M&S and purchase a dark suit which will always come in handy. . 

From a quality point of view I would also suggest Marks and Spencer.

Primark do a few dark suits, sold as mix and match separates; Jacket £35 and Trousers £15.

Depending on where you are, there are branches in Oxford St, London or at:

22 - 28 Above Bar Street, Southampton SO14 7DQ.

Both options are likely to be cheaper than rental and can be donated to a charity shop after use. Or to crew as others have suggested.

When we were onboard the QM2 in May the tux rental was still around $125 for the 2 formal nights. A friend traveling with us had planned to rent onboard and had confirmed the price. The tuxedos can be adjusted somewhat for size. The issue was, Cunard would not guarantee that the rental shop would be open due to COVID/Staffing issues. As it turned out it was open but our friend had decided to purchase instead. 

Jack