TV sets on Silver Whisper

NetworkGuy

6 hours ago, NetworkGuy said:

We are cruising for the first time with Silverseas.

Do the TV sets on Silver Whisper allow you to plug in a USB stick to watch your own content?

Not that I recall, they are basically ‘dumb’ sets. Best to bring an iPad or tablet and use that.

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Like 1

As discussed in another thread as more and more cruise lines go to interactive in-cabin systems available through the television screen they are going more with what might be called a monitor rather than a television.  They look and work basically the same but monitors offer less flexibility than a full out television.  Part of the reason for monitors is that they are less expensive.  Part of it is that there are fewer things to go wrong with them.  Part of it is by taking away the ability of the passenger to access various inputs the ship’s IT people reduce the chance of a passenger accidentally introducing a computer virus or malware into the system.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

Am on the Whisper right now and there is no USB stick plug on my TV in a deluxe veranda suite.

Thanks! Is there a second HDMI input? I could always use my laptop to play content.

The TV's on the Moon had HDMI ports, but they were not active.  As Randyk47 indicated, they disable all of the extra ports to prevent malware/viruses from being introduced into their system.   We brought a flash drive (USB stick) with us and had to play the content on our laptop.  The TV's are not all that great.  Ours kept locking up and our butler showed us how to reset it which was unplugging both the TV and ethernet cable from the wall.  For a ship that was in service for less than 1 year, it was a little surprising we had so many problems with it.  They have a fairly limited entertainment library link on the main menu, along with several networks that show limited content.  We only used our TV to book dinner reservations, look at daily restaurant menus, daily activities, upcoming excursions, weather forecast, etc.  

34 minutes ago, NetworkGuy said:

How bad is the Wifi? We are on the NYC - Quebec City cruise, so we will be close to land at all times.

The WiFi can be marginal….barely good enough for emails and not much else.  Being close to land will not impact the WiFi since the ship’s system is satellite based not land.   Sometimes cell phones can connect with land based towers but again that’s not really reliable.

5 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

The WiFi can be marginal….barely good enough for emails and not much else.  Being close to land will not impact the WiFi since the ship’s system is satellite based not land.   Sometimes cell phones can connect with land based towers but again that’s not really reliable.

So much for streaming services. Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, NetworkGuy said:

So much for streaming services. Thanks for the info.

FYI - some cruiselines disable streaming services, and others only provide it in an enhanced extra-charge internet option.  Further, even if streaming is available, as a network guy you would know there is only so much bandwidth, being divided by X number of guests using it at a time.

Personally, if you want to spend your vacation time watching streaming services, I'd suggest saving thousands of dollars and just stay home with your 70 inch flat screen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, NetworkGuy said:

Thanks! Is there a second HDMI input? I could always use my laptop to play content.

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

None.

It is to bad, that this is not possible.  I'd like to connect my mobile phone to the HDMI and use the  TV as (big) monitor to view localy stored content.

Contenent could be  own pictures and videos from the cruise or of course stored movies.

Edited by wintersno

13 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Personally, if you want to spend your vacation time watching streaming services, I'd suggest saving thousands of dollars and just stay home with your 70 inch flat screen.

I am a night owl and my wife is not. I like to watch TV after she goes to bed. I guess I will be watching stored content on my tablet.

Our ship has a good selection of TV shows and movies that have proved to be more than enough entertainment for us when we want to stay in our cabin.  There are also enrichment and port lectures on the TV, which we never seem to have enough time to watch. So, from my perspective, I don't need anything else to be happy.

I was on Whisper a couple of weeks ago and found the selection of films, documentaries and port lectures to be perfectly adequate. I saw several films I'd been meaning to catch up with for a while.

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, NetworkGuy said:

We are currently on Whisper and the TV has multiple active HDMI ports. I was able to connect my laptop with ease.

Also, they block all streaming services.

Hope you are having a good cruise. What has the weather been like? Sailing her a week from today😀

On 10/15/2022 at 1:06 PM, Lois R said:

Hope you are having a good cruise. What has the weather been like? Sailing her a week from today😀

Rain every day and night. They are doing a good job keeping her centered in storm. 😬