Are we crazy...thinking of only bringing carry on bags to Europe!

Cruising7in2017

43 minutes ago, Sascol said:

This is all a joke, right?  Never, ever less than two rollers and two garment bags for 2 people. You’re going on a cruise, not to WalMart and a Motel 6. 

Some people are doing far more than a cruise. Traveling around Italy for more than a month before we board our transatlantic cruise, it is much easier toting just a carry on sized suitcase. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, paulh84 said:

For a cruise there is no benefit to us. If I had to pack like I was bouncing from city to city every 2 to 3 days I would just do a tour by land. Part of the trade-off for getting the limited drive-by experience a cruise gives you is unpacking and packing only once. In a few weeks we will have two men, limited toiletries, two 25" rollers and 2 carryons + backpacks or day bags. I'm not washing underwear in a sink or dressing for dinner like I'm hiking the Amazon just to save a few pounds. 

Sounds like you need lessons in how to pack smartly

9 hours ago, paulh84 said:

For a cruise there is no benefit to us. If I had to pack like I was bouncing from city to city every 2 to 3 days I would just do a tour by land. Part of the trade-off for getting the limited drive-by experience a cruise gives you is unpacking and packing only once. In a few weeks we will have two men, limited toiletries, two 25" rollers and 2 carryons + backpacks or day bags. I'm not washing underwear in a sink or dressing for dinner like I'm hiking the Amazon just to save a few pounds. 

It's not for everyone.  And besides. hiking gear would take up way too much space

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, xamsx said:

Some people are doing far more than a cruise. Traveling around Italy for more than a month before we board our transatlantic cruise, it is much easier toting just a carry on sized suitcase. 

Not to mention there is such a thing as laundry service. There's no need to pack your whole closet.

I get why some people do it....they don't want to make decisions about what they will want to wear while they're packing. Too much planning ahead. They'd rather decide each day of their vacation what to wear that day, so they need all of their options available. That has its own convenience for those who don't want to spend time planning outfits.

It is interesting though how the judginess seems to start mostly in one direction. I don't even get why those not interested in carryon travel would be bothering with this thread other than to just pop in and criticize.

Edited by vjmatty
Typos
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sascol said:

This is all a joke, right?  Never, ever less than two rollers and two garment bags for 2 people. You’re going on a cruise, not to WalMart and a Motel 6. 

It's not for everyone.

Two people can't share a garment bag? Even on Cunard sailings with my gowns and hubby"s tuxes (yes, plural), we can fit them in one with room to spare. Maybe you need a bigger garment bag.

Anyway I'm sure it depends on the cruise.....I doubt you need all that on a 7-day Caribbean sailing. 

Edited by vjmatty
Dreaded Autocorrect

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Not to mention there is such a thing as laundry service. There's no need to pack your whole closet.

I get why some people do it....they don't want to make decisions about what they will want to wear while they're packing. Too much planning ahead. They'd rather decide each day of their vacation what to wear that day, so they need all of their options available. That has its own convenience for those who don't want to spend time planning outfits.

It is interesting though how the judginess seems to start mostly in one direction. I don't even get why those not interested in carryon travel would be bothering with this thread other than to just pop in and criticize.

I make decisions while I am packing. I decide I don't want to wear the same outfits over and over, and I decide that I don't want to wash clothes in the sink or send them out to be washed in hot water. 

I don't judge carry-on-only packers. Do as you like. I will do the same, even on a 7-day Caribbean cruise.

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

I make decisions while I am packing. I decide I don't want to wear the same outfits over and over, and I decide that I don't want to wash clothes in the sink or send them out to be washed in hot water. 

I don't judge carry-on-only packers. Do as you like. I will do the same.

Hence the word “some” people. And if you read the quote embedded in my post, I wasn’t responding to you, it was to another poster.

The “decisions” I was talking about that some people don’t want to make ahead of time are what to wear each day,  not about washing clothes or wearing the same thing twice  Sorry I wasn’t more clear. 

My reference was not meant to be offensive, in fact it was about a dear friend who packed a huge suitcase for our 3 day Zumba convention. When I saw the method behind it I understood.

4 hours ago, vjmatty said:

judginess - hmmmm I don't see it here.  Just because some can travel with just a carry-on and explain why and others need larger suitcases and to take a huge parrt of their wardrobe, and we comment on the pros and cons, it's not judgy, it's what works for each person.  Stop being so sensitive.

4 hours ago, vjmatty said:

It's not for everyone.

Two people can't share a garment bag? Even on Cunard sailings with my gowns and hubby"s tuxes (yes, plural), we can fit them in one with room to spare. Maybe you need a bigger garment bag.

I wish - but part of the reason we love to cruise is to dress up.  On a 12-night trip that's 12 dresses/outfits for my wife.  This alone takes up one garment bag (and we have big garment bags).  I have at least 4 pairs of evening slacks for myself as well.

Throw in a European itinerary which requires heavier clothing.  That requires more space as well.  Perhaps if we were backpacking through Europe in the summer with no need/desire to dress up a carry on MIGHT work but like I said, this is a cruise.

We just did a TWO-night trip to the mountains and even that with two carry ons in the car was close. I wore the same pants both nights.

I’ve done it both ways. Next spring we have a transatlantic followed by a river cruise, with six hotel nights as well.  I still will pack our roll aboards as if they were IT because the idea of losing luggage rattles me. I’m hoping one full size case will be enough for the other “would be nice to have.” Plan to utilize the ships laundry on the Apex crossing, and leave with all clean clothes. But that still leaves 17 nights to go! No laundry on river cruises I’m assuming? I guess there will be some in the bathroom sink! Reading this thread for tips as much as anything!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sascol said:

I wish - but part of the reason we love to cruise is to dress up.  On a 12-night trip that's 12 dresses/outfits for my wife.  This alone takes up one garment bag (and we have big garment bags).  I have at least 4 pairs of evening slacks for myself as well.

Throw in a European itinerary which requires heavier clothing.  That requires more space as well.  Perhaps if we were backpacking through Europe in the summer with no need/desire to dress up a carry on MIGHT work but like I said, this is a cruise.

We just did a TWO-night trip to the mountains and even that with two carry ons in the car was close. I wore the same pants both nights.

Ah.. as someone who lived in the Adirondacks for 25 years, I can definitely see how two nights can add up when you're in the mountains.  The variety of temperatures from day to night, even in the summer, makes it particularly difficult.

Most of our Cunard sailings have only been 7 days so we manage with one garment bag... plus my dresses aren't very poofy so they don't take up a lot of room.

Less luggage sounds nice, but I wonder how do people handle the souvenirs they buy.  I've been to the Caribbean many times, so I don't really do much shopping, but I've done 1 British isles cruise and want to do another in the future.  For those packing light where do you pack your gifts and items you buy for yourself?

7 minutes ago, Tak8 said:

Less luggage sounds nice, but I wonder how do people handle the souvenirs they buy.  I've been to the Caribbean many times, so I don't really do much shopping, but I've done 1 British isles cruise and want to do another in the future.  For those packing light where do you pack your gifts and items you buy for yourself?

For us, we stopped buying souvenirs years ago.    We've been to 40+ countries due to business and leisure travel.  We still purchase an ornament from every where we travel for the first time.   Ah, the memories when we are decorating our Christmas tree.   🙂  

I don't re-wear dirty clothes.   I pack lightweight clothing that rolls easily.   I wear cotton shirts, gauzy shirts, and lots of simple dresses.   I can layer when I need to.  I try to bring only a couple of pairs of shoes, in addition to those on my feet.    My husband wears fine dress polo shirts, casual polo shirts, cotton shorts, linen shirts, and cotton slacks.   He packs one pair of dressier shoes and another casual pair.    He doesn't mind wearing his dinner slacks twice.   He usually wears his sport coat on the plane.   No tuxedo.   

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 12:34 AM, lifeisrealygood said:

Some girls seem to have just a suitcase for their shoes alone.  My wife looks great, but only takes three pair of fancy evening dress shoes, one pair for walking, and one pair for water activities.  

Unfortunately that  is my DW too and it not just because of fashion. Due to some foot issues she's had over the years, she needs to switch out walking shoes every day. So we end up 5-6 pairs of shoes that she rotates through just for her. I can get by with 3 pairs (sturdy walkers + Tennis Shoes + Sandals) and a pair of dress shoes for formals nights. But still that ends of with 10 pairs of shoes. 

So I just don't think we are ever going to be able to do just carry-ons. We are trying to cut down on packing. For our upcoming 21 days travel (16 Day Canada/Greenland with pre-land) we are targeting only 2 or maybe 3 of our standard 26" luggage for checking. Need to bring layering and some outer wear as we are doing some Open boat Fjord Tours in Greenland where the expected temperature is only going to be high 40s/low 50s and probably a bit cooler out in the Fjords. 

Edited by drowelf

Since retiring 12 years ago, per covid we would do two 7-9 week trips per year.  Many included a 10-14 day cruise.    

We have only done carry on, international size, on each of these trips.  It works for us.  Not for everyone of course.    We were in Portugal this past May/June.  So glad we did carry on.  No issues with lost luggage.  Taking trains was a snap.

For us the trick was buying the bag first, then prioritizing.  We stopped with the liquids, shoes, and just in case items.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tak8 said:

We have wine shipped home. We have purchased artwork and had it shipped home. Same for Persian carpets.

Momentos are small, and fit in the carry on. We also pack a collapsible bag in case we need it. To date we haven't used it, but just in case, we bring it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LGW59 said:

judginess - hmmmm I don't see it here.  Just because some can travel with just a carry-on and explain why and others need larger suitcases and to take a huge parrt of their wardrobe, and we comment on the pros and cons, it's not judgy, it's what works for each person.  Stop being so sensitive.

Perhaps the "carry on only" contingent could stop being so smug?  With all the "look at me, I just walk off the plane with my one suitcase and I'm good to go" attitude.  Sorry, but I wouldn't want to be the one sitting next to the person on the plane on their way home from a vacation where they've been wearing the same clothes (and underwear) for one week straight.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tak8 said:

When we downsized from 3700 sq feet prior to retirement we decided that we no longer needed to accumulate any garage sale or jumble sale items.

We don't buy anything.  Well DW bought a pair of sandals in Portugal last month but that was an exception.  Nor do we bring back gifts.  No room...but the reason is no desire.    Our children live in different cities...they do not want the trinkets either.

Makes for some interesting looks at customs and immigration when we come home after 9 weeks.  And once after 7 months.  Nothing to declare.  Other than sometimes an uneaten bar of chocolate.

We do always have the option.  If we wanted to bring something back bigger than a pair of earings I could bring it back in a bag as had luggage vs carry on.   We travel with a small, collapsible nylon bag (one of those TA promo items)  that we use for the beach and poolside.  Also use it to carry a few bottles of locally purchased wine on to the ship.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

Perhaps the "carry on only" contingent could stop being so smug?  With all the "look at me, I just walk off the plane with my one suitcase and I'm good to go" attitude.  Sorry, but I wouldn't want to be the one sitting next to the person on the plane on their way home from a vacation where they've been wearing the same clothes (and underwear) for one week straight.

I detect just a wee smidge of anger in your posts on the subject

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

I detect just a wee smidge of anger in your posts on the subject

On the contrary, I'm a firm believer in it's your vacation, do what you want.  I was just finding the superior attitude of one side of this particular debate to be a bit much.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tak8 said:

Personal item. Plan on a backpack or "beach bag" purse as your personal item for the plane and use it for souvenirs.  

5 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

Underwear and socks go first. Minimum of 1 set per day, plus a reasonable amount of extras.  It's really a matter of thoughtful packing beyond that.  DW brings lightweight dresses that take up minimal space.  More flats than heels, at least in the suitcase. DW's 'fat' shoes went in her personal item bag.    Space bags help with efficient packing. On our last 7n, we brought more clothes than we needed, and managed to stuff our queen size pillows (down) into our luggage as well.   

Been to China and Thailand for 10days.each. Granted climate was warm but went with carry on and back pack. Brought older socks, underwear, and shirts. Discarded them when used thus having room for souvenirs if needed. Worked out great!

• Like 1