MDR cocktails in other bars

Buckeye94

I like to begin my evening dinner with a cocktail, which usually means a stop at the ol' reliable Martini Bar. Sometimes, I see cocktails that look interesting on the MDR menu. I don't see the MDR cocktails on the menus at other bars, and when I've asked, they haven't always known how to make the drink. If I'm sailing Beyond, and I want an Old World Old Fashioned (Woodford Reserve, yeni raki (?), orange bitters, figs - ingredients that may not be at every bar location) outside of Cyprus Restaurant, where would I go?  Where are the MDR cocktails made?

Edited by Buckeye94
  • Like 1

Hello, "Buckeye94."

Although this may not help you on a E-class ship, some (if not all) of the MDR aperitif cocktails are on the menu at the Passport Bar on S-class ships.

If we were you, we would go to one or more bars and approach the most senior bartender ... because he/she may have had to work in an (out-of-view) MDR's bar, over the years -- and may know how to make your beverage.  If you get a negative response, try another bar, etc..

Also ... we were under the impression [mistaken impression?] that recipes for "X" cocktails were available at all times, to all bartenders -- either in printed form or viewable on a bar's computer screen.

A last idea:  Go to the MDR on Embarkation Day, and try to get its bartender to write down the recipe for you.  Then you can carry it during the cruise, to show other bartenders throughout the ship.

Go, Buckeyes!  (We've cheered for them since about 1958 -- and briefly lived in Columbus, on Neil Avenue.)

• Like 1

Most bars can make most drinks (except for the World Class Bar offerings), but not all have some of the more particular things.  You pretty much have to ask each place for each drink, or (as mentioned) the bartenders may know where you can find what.

Happy sailing!