Bucket List Greece Ports

MillbrookMom

We are planning a European trip for our 30th in 2024.  We plan to visit relatives in Switzerland for a few weeks and also do a Mediterranean cruise.  Greece is a bucket list destination for us.  We are more beach/scenery/foodie type people vs History.  What 3 ports would you say are bucket list ports.  (there are so many different itinerary choices, just trying to make the right decision as we likely would only do a Mediterranean cruise once. TIA

For scenery I recommend Santorini. The sailing within the caldera is quite unique.

For beaches probably Mykonos.

As third may Rhodes because you can find everything, beaches, history, scenery and great restaurants.

Of course, if you do not totally rule out history, Athens is the number one must see place in Greece. Actually the Acropolis is quite scenic, too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, carlmm said:

For scenery I recommend Santorini. The sailing within the caldera is quite unique.

As third may Rhodes because you can find everything, beaches, history, scenery and great restaurants.

Of course, if you do not totally rule out history, Athens is the number one must see place in Greece. Actually the Acropolis is quite scenic, too.

Thank you.  We may look at flights in and out of Athens and would do a few days on one side of the cruise there.

On 7/29/2022 at 9:27 AM, carlmm said:

We totally agree with you!  We've been twice to Santorini (Oai is stunning) and Rhodes (history, Lindos, charm); these islands are our top two favourites of the six islands we have visited.

We love Crete, but would suggest at least a week on this vast island to really enjoy it.  It has everything, spectacular scenery, beaches and great food.  Santorini is spectacular to see, but is overcrowded and suffers as a result.   Mykonos is my least favourite island, again so overcrowded and expensive.   We have also enjoyed Keffallonia, Corfu and Rhodes on cruises.  

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 12:03 PM, MillbrookMom said:

We are planning a European trip for our 30th in 2024.  We plan to visit relatives in Switzerland for a few weeks and also do a Mediterranean cruise.  Greece is a bucket list destination for us.  We are more beach/scenery/foodie type people vs History.  What 3 ports would you say are bucket list ports.  (there are so many different itinerary choices, just trying to make the right decision as we likely would only do a Mediterranean cruise once. TIA

I agree with @carlmm, @WESTEAST, and @bennybear, and would like to add the following:

Mykonos is a very popular tourist destination, including celebrities.  It is overrun with tourists.  There are about 60 beaches, including the organized beaches on the western half of the southern coast.  You'll need to be comfortable figuring out the bus schedules on how to get to the beaches or rent a car; taxis as pretty non-existent.  

Santorini is also a small island, and also extremely touristy as Mykonos.  The towns of Fira and Oia on the cliffs above the caldera are one of the most photographed sites in Europe.

Personally, though, I like the Ionic Islands, of the WEST coast of Greek mainland, including Corfu and Kefalonia (listed as "Argostoli" on itineraries).  If you are beach connoisseur, you'll likely find the beaches even more picturesque than in the Aegean. The weather is also not as hot. And the scenery is also nicer.  But that is just my view.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

I agree with @carlmm, @WESTEAST, and @bennybear, and would like to add the following:

Mykonos is a very popular tourist destination, including celebrities.  It is overrun with tourists.  There are about 60 beaches, including the organized beaches on the western half of the southern coast.  You'll need to be comfortable figuring out the bus schedules on how to get to the beaches or rent a car; taxis as pretty non-existent.  

Santorini is also a small island, and also extremely touristy as Mykonos.  The towns of Fira and Oia on the cliffs above the caldera are one of the most photographed sites in Europe.

Personally, though, I like the Ionic Islands, of the WEST coast of Greek mainland, including Corfu and Kefalonia (listed as "Argostoli" on itineraries).  If you are beach connoisseur, you'll likely find the beaches even more picturesque than in the Aegean. The weather is also not as hot. And the scenery is also nicer.  But that is just my view.

Agree.  We did three weeks in the Ionian Islands pre covid.   Stopped on a cruise a few years earlier.  DW wants to go back...

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 10:43 AM, MillbrookMom said:

Thank you.  We may look at flights in and out of Athens and would do a few days on one side of the cruise there.

We very much enjoy Med cruising.  But...we also like venturing out on our own in the islands.  Traveling by ferry with no set schedule other what when and where we have to be for our flight home.

Both are great experiences, but they are different experiences.  We often try to combine them now that we are retired. 

We have had three one week stays on Crete over the years.  Hoping to go back this fall. We start in Piraeus  and work our way south to Crete. 

Another pre or post option is a quick, inexpensive flight to Cyprus for a week or two.  Very different experience.

Edited by iancal

We’ve spent many months on different Greek islands. We try to spend at least two weeks if we can each time.    Each island grouping is vastly different.  

Crete is one of our favourites and we’ve spent nearly two months there on three separate trips and we still  would love to go back.   It truly has everything.  

There are many enticing areas to explore if one is not limited by a cruise,   Skiathos and Skopelos are also lovely, where much of Mamma Mia was filmed.  And picturesque Keffallonia and Zakynthos,  have stunning scenery and beaches.   We also enjoyed Paros, and staying on Santorini.  

Unfortunately,  on a cruise you just get a taste of an Island. 

• Like 1

If you're into historic places the big peninsula of  peloponnes just west of Athens might be a place to visit. It have historic places like Olympia, where the olympic torch are lighted, the enormous amphitheater of Epidaurus, the ancient ruins of Mistras just to mention some. And there is also very beautiful beaches there. Voidokilia beach is very nice and special. And on the way from Athens you will pass the chanel of Korith

I agree with Bennybear's assessment.  There are many cruisers who only experience the Greek Islands (and Europe) when on a cruise.  While I love cruises (and have cruised in Europe dozens of times) it is a different experience when you spend a few days (or weeks) on land, be it a Greek Island or mainland Europe.  That is why we have long suggested that cruisers try to find the time and money to combine a cruise vacation with some significant land time.   As to the Greek Islands I agree that Crete is a great choice for an extended stay because it is a huge island with much to see.  The smaller more popular islands (such as Santorini, Mykonos, Paxos, etc) are certainly worth a multi-day stay.  

Speaking of the Greek islands, there is an extensive ferry system that can get folks between many of the islands and "ferry hopping" can be an interesting vacation.  

Hank

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I agree with Bennybear's assessment.  There are many cruisers who only experience the Greek Islands (and Europe) when on a cruise.  While I love cruises (and have cruised in Europe dozens of times) it is a different experience when you spend a few days (or weeks) on land, be it a Greek Island or mainland Europe.  That is why we have long suggested that cruisers try to find the time and money to combine a cruise vacation with some significant land time.   As to the Greek Islands I agree that Crete is a great choice for an extended stay because it is a huge island with much to see.  The smaller more popular islands (such as Santorini, Mykonos, Paxos, etc) are certainly worth a multi-day stay.  

Speaking of the Greek islands, there is an extensive ferry system that can get folks between many of the islands and "ferry hopping" can be an interesting vacation.  

Hank

We have done this several times.  Hopefully again  this Sept/Oct.   Milos, Naxos (again), Folegrandros,  Amorgas, and Serifos are on the list at the moment, plus a week, perhaps two in Crete to finish it all off.

It will depend on how well our bucket list matches the ferry schedules.