New testing protocols

MeganGC1983

1 minute ago, ninjacat123 said:

Okay, so if I'm doing an at-home proctored test then I need to do it 2 days before embarkation?  Just want to make sure, because I didn't notice this as well.  UGH!

That's how I interpreted it. However, if you look more closely, it only specifically says Bermuda and Canada. So does that mean the Bahamas is 3 days like for the shorter cruises? It's not very clear, and I'd hate to misinterpret and show up with an invalid test result because we took it too early.

• Thanks 1

Just now, prmssk said:

Where are you cruising to?  The 72 hours for PCR/2 days for antigen seems to only apply to Canada and Bermuda.  This has been a Canada requirement for a while.  (I haven't followed Bermuda requirements.). For other itineraries (including the Bahamas), it seems to still be a 3 day requirement.

I just re-read and it does seem to be only Canada and Bermuda, but it's not explicitly clear, especially since they have all this info lumped together.

21 minutes ago, JessieMae said:

No one has mentioned the fact that up until yesterday, we could take the at-home antigen tests 3 days in advance if we are up to date on the vaccine (i.e. boosted). Now it looks like the at-home test can only be taken 2 days in advance. My family had planned to take our tests this Thursday, which will be 3 days. Good thing I noticed the change. I imagine not everyone is as anal as I am, though. This is going to cause problems for some people.

From the website: * BAHAMAS, BERMUDA, CANADA, AND GRAND CAYMAN: Pre-cruise testing requirements remain in place for ALL guests on ALL itineraries which include Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, and Grand Cayman. Fully vaccinated guests traveling to Bermuda and Canada can take either a PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing, or an antigen test no earlier than two days prior to sailing, in order to comply with destination regulations.

Are you sailing to Bermuda or Canada?  Those are the only ports that require the antigen within 72 hours.  If doing a PCR you can do it 3 days before.

The 3 day before has been in place for a while now for fully vaxxed and boosted for cruises of all lengths.

Still says that as well.  It is only the 2 exceptions (port related) of Bermuda and Canada that narrow it to 2 days and only if doing Antigen.

It all just depends on where your sailing, if you are fully vaxxed, and and for how long you are sailing.  This below makes it pretty clear.

TESTING REQUIREMENTS (UPDATED 8/01/22)

CRUISES 5 DAYS OR LESS

Except where destination requirements differ, effective with sailings departing August 4, 2022, there will be no pre-cruise testing for fully vaccinated guests booked on certain cruises with itineraries 5 days or less. Due to destination requirements, ALL guests on itineraries that include Bahamas, Bermuda and Grand Cayman must complete a pre-cruise test, irrespective of the length of the cruise. For these itineraries, guests may take either a PCR or antigen test starting 3 days before departure and including embarkation day, provided test results are received in time for check-in (for example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday). See below for specific testing requirements for Bermuda.*

CRUISES 6 DAYS OR MORE

On cruises 6 days or longer, testing requirements remain in place for guests age 2 and older. Except where destination requirements differ, all guests may take their test (PCR or antigen) starting 3 days before departure.* Guests traveling on back-to-back cruises 16 days or more will be tested between voyages.

* BAHAMAS, BERMUDA, CANADA, AND GRAND CAYMAN: Pre-cruise testing requirements remain in place for ALL guests on ALL itineraries which include Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, and Grand Cayman. Fully vaccinated guests traveling to Bermuda and Canada can take either a PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing, or an antigen test no earlier than two days prior to sailing, in order to comply with destination regulations.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

So if Margaritaville at Sea jumps off a bridge, Carnival should follow? Doesn't make sense.

Carnival's cruise line; Carnival's rules.

huh?  are you new here?  The protocols are being based off of the requirements of the DESTINATION. You think Carnival suddenly wants to require tests for the Bahamas just for fun?  No.... not how it works. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wemjam said:

Are you sailing to Bermuda or Canada?  Those are the only ports that require the antigen within 72 hours.  If doing a PCR you can do it 3 days before.

The 3 day before has been in place for a while now for fully vaxxed and boosted for cruises of all lengths.

Still says that as well.  It is only the 2 exceptions (port related) of Bermuda and Canada that narrow it to 2 days and only if doing Antigen.

It all just depends on where your sailing, if you are fully vaxxed, and and for how long you are sailing.  This below makes it pretty clear.

TESTING REQUIREMENTS (UPDATED 8/01/22)

CRUISES 5 DAYS OR LESS

Except where destination requirements differ, effective with sailings departing August 4, 2022, there will be no pre-cruise testing for fully vaccinated guests booked on certain cruises with itineraries 5 days or less. Due to destination requirements, ALL guests on itineraries that include Bahamas, Bermuda and Grand Cayman must complete a pre-cruise test, irrespective of the length of the cruise. For these itineraries, guests may take either a PCR or antigen test starting 3 days before departure and including embarkation day, provided test results are received in time for check-in (for example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday). See below for specific testing requirements for Bermuda.*

CRUISES 6 DAYS OR MORE

On cruises 6 days or longer, testing requirements remain in place for guests age 2 and older. Except where destination requirements differ, all guests may take their test (PCR or antigen) starting 3 days before departure.* Guests traveling on back-to-back cruises 16 days or more will be tested between voyages.

* BAHAMAS, BERMUDA, CANADA, AND GRAND CAYMAN: Pre-cruise testing requirements remain in place for ALL guests on ALL itineraries which include Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, and Grand Cayman. Fully vaccinated guests traveling to Bermuda and Canada can take either a PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing, or an antigen test no earlier than two days prior to sailing, in order to comply with destination regulations.

I don't think it's very clear regarding the 2 vs 3 days for Bahamas and Grand Cayman for 6+ days cruising. The final asterisk lumps all four destinations together, but the final sentence only mentions Bermuda and Canada. So it is a little ambiguous. 

5 minutes ago, JessieMae said:

I don't think it's very clear regarding the 2 vs 3 days for Bahamas and Grand Cayman for 6+ days cruising. The final asterisk lumps all four destinations together, but the final sentence only mentions Bermuda and Canada. So it is a little ambiguous. 

This paragraph simply specifies that these 4 ports (regardless of the length of sailing) require the Covid testing (1st sentence).  The last sentence then specifies of those 4 ports, two - Canada and Bermuda can test 3 days before for PCR, but 2 days before for antigen (again regardless of length of sailing).

Edited by wemjam

5 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

huh?  are you new here?  The protocols are being based off of the requirements of the DESTINATION. You think Carnival suddenly wants to require tests for the Bahamas just for fun?  No.... not how it works. 

No, I'm not new. As a company, Carnival can set any protocols they want, but weren't tests required for the Bahamas before? or cruises in general?

No, I'm not new. As a company, Carnival can set any protocols they want, but weren't tests required for the Bahamas before? or cruises in general?

Sorry you haven't been keeping up with the latest news.  I can see how it can be confusing! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

How it works:

circle-info-icon.png Carnival is pleased to announce that we are adjusting certain protocols to reflect the lifting of CDC requirements for the U.S. cruise industry. These changes will be made in phases, with the first taking effect on Thursday, August 4, 2022, and focused on short cruise itineraries of 5 nights or less. All changes are subject to any requirements of destinations on the itinerary. We are waiting to hear back from certain destinations and these protocols will continue to evolve.

How it works:

circle-info-icon.png Carnival is pleased to announce that we are adjusting certain protocols to reflect the lifting of CDC requirements for the U.S. cruise industry. These changes will be made in phases, with the first taking effect on Thursday, August 4, 2022, and focused on short cruise itineraries of 5 nights or less. All changes are subject to any requirements of destinations on the itinerary. We are waiting to hear back from certain destinations and these protocols will continue to evolve.

Great...?? I'm not sure if you think you're actually contributing to this conversation or not but regardless I wish you the best of times on your future cruises! 

Edited by Fredric22
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wemjam said:

This paragraph simply specifies that these 4 ports (regardless of the length of sailing) require the Covid testing (1st sentence).  The last sentence then specifies of those 4 ports, two - Canada and Bermuda can test 3 days before for PCR, but 2 days before for antigen (again regardless of length of sailing).

I get what you're saying, but the way the information is formatted isn't clear. That last paragraph is under the 6+ day heading, and the previous paragraph about 5 day cruises already stated that testing is required for three of the four destinations, so there is no need to reiterate that in the asterisk. Moreover, they don't mention Canada in the 5 day section; however, the asterisk clearly indicates that it requires testing regardless. So why didn't they include it since they included the other 3 destinations?)

I know I'm being nitpicky...can you tell I'm a professional writer? My point is that it isn't explicitly clear, and Carnival won't care if we misinterpret something.

Edited by JessieMae

2 minutes ago, JessieMae said:

I get what you're saying, but the way the information is formatted isn't clear. That last paragraph is under the 6+ day heading, and the previous paragraph about 5 day cruises already stated that testing is required for three of the four destinations, so there is no need to reiterate that in the asterisk. 

I know I'm being nitpicky...can you tell I'm a professional writer? My point is that it isn't explicitly clear, but Carnival won't care if we misinterpret something.

I hear you, the formatting sucks.  

We always just tested 2 days before anyhow to be safe lol!  Even though for months we could have done it 3 days before.  Figured better safe than sorry

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I hear you, the formatting sucks.  

We always just tested 2 days before anyhow to be safe lol!  Even though for months we could have done it 3 days before.  Figured better safe than sorry

Exactly! I'd hate to miss our vacation because of a misunderstanding.

I have my family quarantined this week to make sure we stay healthy, and we'd planned to test Thursday to set our minds at ease ASAP. I can't truly look forward to this cruise until we have those negative tests in hand, especially since some friends of ours recently had to cancel due to an unexpected positive test. But we'll wait an extra day to make sure we test in the correct window. I'm okay with following the rules--I just want a clear understanding of those rules.

Edited by JessieMae

I hate to keep adding extra questions to this topic but now I’m triple guessing myself….9 year old with two doses of Pfizer -  - is THAT considered “fully vaccinated” to also have a proctored home test with us? I honestly don’t even know if that age has boosters bc we never looked into it….

1 minute ago, Brieanna817 said:

I hate to keep adding extra questions to this topic but now I’m triple guessing myself….9 year old with two doses of Pfizer -  - is THAT considered “fully vaccinated” to also have a proctored home test with us? I honestly don’t even know if that age has boosters bc we never looked into it….

From Carnival's website: While the CDC has strongly recommended that individuals obtain a COVID-19 booster vaccination, when eligible, for the purposes of Carnival's protocols, the definition of “fully vaccinated” does not generally include reference to a booster except when explicitly stated. 

So your 9yo is considered fully vaxxed.

Having a booster is called vaxxed and up-to-date. There used to be language like this on the website, but it looks like it went away when they changed the requirements a few days ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brieanna817 said:

Never mind. I found something for you. 

What is considered fully vaccinated?

A guest is considered fully vaccinated 14 days after receiving the last dose in their primary vaccine series. On embarkation day, a minimum of 15 days must have passed since receiving the final dose in a vaccine series. Some destinations define a fully vaccinated guests as someone who has received their booster dose, if eligible.

What is considered "up to date" relative to COVID vaccines?

Up to date means a guest has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, if eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated and not yet eligible for a booster, the guest is also considered up to date. Fully vaccinated guests are encouraged to visit the CDC's website Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. to determine when they are eligible for a booster.

Are guests required to be boosted on any of your sailings?

Boosters may be required for specific voyages based on duration and destination requirements. The following voyages require guests, age 12 and older, to be fully vaccinated. In addition, all guests, age 18 and older, who are more than 6 months past the last dose of their initial vaccine series must be boosted (if eligible) in order to sail:

• Carnival Pride® and Carnival Celebration Europe – All 2022 sailings
  • Carnival Splendor® 23-day Carnival Journey (Transpacific) – September 6, 2022
  • Carnival Spirit® 16-day Carnival Journey (Panama Canal) – September 20, 2022
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still, they should NEVER have announced any change until they had information from ALL the countries.  It was not fair to release this information to the public To send emails to everyone booked no matter where their cruise was going.  This was a clusterfluck of major proportions and I hold all the top Carnival brass right up to old Donald himself responsible.  

I have literally been defending Carnival on several threads lately but I think I am done.  This is my line in the sand.  Other cruise lines have not backpedaled which means there is something fishy going on at Carnival.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, trvlgirlmq said:

Still, they should NEVER have announced any change until they had information from ALL the countries.  It was not fair to release this information to the public To send emails to everyone booked no matter where their cruise was going.  This was a clusterfluck of major proportions and I hold all the top Carnival brass right up to old Donald himself responsible.  

I have literally been defending Carnival on several threads lately but I think I am done.  This is my line in the sand.  Other cruise lines have not backpedaled which means there is something fishy going on at Carnival.  

Seriously? This is your line in the sand? After all this covid drama and craziness with cruising? I'm just glad things are moving in the right direction and hope the testing goes away soon for everyone. I think this 5 day or less start is just to get more folks on the shorter cruises which seem to be struggling for bookings right now, it will come to the 7day+ soon enough.  My line in the sand will be on a beach in Mexico. 😁 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

Um, nope. 5 nighters out of Galveston and New Orleans go to Mexico ONLY.

That said, it's going to be a Cluster at the docks in a couple days.

jsglow, you nailed it. on 5 nighters, it's Cozumel or Progresso.... from Galveston, at least. I'm not aware of any other destination ports for 5 nighters.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

jsglow, you nailed it. on 5 nighters, it's Cozumel or Progresso.... from Galveston, at least. I'm not aware of any other destination ports for 5 nighters.

The 5 nighters out of both Galveston and New Orleans alternate between Progresso and Costa Maya, paired always with Cozumel.  They both run the 5/4/5 schedule using Breeze and Valor from each port, respectively. On the 4 night it's Cozumel only. Certainly a bit tedious if one considers a B2B.  Port limitations in the western Caribbean are real; in may ways similar to the S. California challenge.

I really think this Bahamas thing gets worked out pretty quickly.  I sure wouldn't want to be top brass for the cruise lines right now. Every day a new challenge.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

So if Margaritaville at Sea jumps off a bridge, Carnival should follow? Doesn't make sense.

Carnival's cruise line; Carnival's rules.

You've already had some heat from this, but the point is:

"Why?" 

Why is Carnival being different from the other lines, when there is no public evidence that they have to be?

No other line that has announced the relaxing of testing requirements has stated that it is still in place for the Bahamas.  And the Bahamas website itself makes it quite clear that no test is required for entry if fully vaxxed.

So Carnival is being different, and imposing an additional burden upon their customers, for no apparent good reason.  If Carnival said "you have to wear this uncomfortable hat and drink everything, including hot coffee, through those horrible sugar straws, because my cruise line, my rules", for how long do you think they will retain customers?

Unless Carnival's pax are indeed more virulent and dangerous than the ones from RCI, Margaritaville at Sea, and Virgin?  The the Bahamas are right to impose stricter rules for Carnival.

Oh, and as to that bridge-jumping comparison, I will use xkcd.com as a response:

If all of my friends are on a bridge, and they are all jumping off it, so will I.  Because they are, on average, pretty intelligent and aware people, so if they all think it really is a good idea to jump, it is probably due to some danger or threat that I have not yet observed, and I will be safer joining them, on average.

I'd still like to see a ship jump off a bridge, though...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Why is Carnival being different from the other lines, when there is no public evidence that they have to be?

No other line that has announced the relaxing of testing requirements has stated that it is still in place for the Bahamas.  And the Bahamas website itself makes it quite clear that no test is required for entry if fully vaxxed.

Are we really sure about that Prog?  I have a recollection from somewhere in the back of my head that when cruising restarted the Bahamas had this weird hybrid requirement where those flying in didn't need a test but those on a cruise ship DID.  This was roughly one year ago when testing first emerged.  Now given the fact that the cruise pax were going to have to test anyway it really didn't matter.  I do think I recall that the 'compromise' was 2-3 day testing window prior to the cruise; NOT 2-3 days prior to arrival in the Bahamas, something that couldn't work at all.  I believe all the lines have that blanket line 'no testing except where required by the local country'. Perhaps RCCL just hasn't owned up to it yet.

IF Carnival DID self-impose this without the Bahamas insisting then at the very least it's the worst PR optics I can possibly remember only topping the moronic decision itself. They would have been better off simply sticking with the old protocols for 'safety' reasons and just knowingly faced the booking collapse.

I just can't imagine the cluster eff it's going to be at the pier tomorrow.  ALL potentially self imposed and uuggee negative pub.

Edited by jsglow