Currently on Viking Mimir

milling73

We are on the 3 night Prague extension for Viking river cruise. First of all, I highly recommend visiting Prague, it must be one of the most interesting, beautifully full of old-world charm cities of Europe. The old center is very walkable, albeit tennis shoes are highly recommended, and nearly everyone wears them, as most streets and sidewalks are cobblestone. 
On hotels, Viking uses several. We are in the Hilton, and I urge anyone to stay in a different hotel - closer to the Old Quarter!  The Hilton while beautiful, is more in the business district, there is nothing of tourist interest nearby, and only 1 good restaurant, outside of the hotel itself.  It is quite a distance to walk to Old Town areas and it is very easy to loose one’s way in a mish-mash of street junctions, and street names that do not appear on tourist maps. 
Also while fairly easy to take a taxi to the Old Town, it is very difficult to find a taxi from Old Town. There are no taxi stands near the Square, nor at the Prague Castle that we saw. 

Sorry wifi is spotty on boat and messages jump. Now on Mimir leaving Budapest on Grand European. We are sailing and sailed out on schedule. 
As a side note, at no time during airport check-in, country customs, hotel check-in in Prague, nor check-in onto Viking Mimir were we asked for COVID vacine record. Not once. 

• Like 1

@milling73, thanks for the info on the Hilton in Prague.  I'm an HH member, and try to book hotels in the Hilton family using points to help with travel expenses.  Sometimes the locations don't work, as in this instance, so it's good to know that ahead of time.

I hope you enjoyed Prague and Budapest, and enjoy your cruise!

9 minutes ago, Roz said:

@milling73, thanks for the info on the Hilton in Prague.  I'm an HH member, and try to book hotels in the Hilton family using points to help with travel expenses.  Sometimes the locations don't work, as in this instance, so it's good to know that ahead of time.

I hope you enjoyed Prague and Budapest, and enjoy your cruise!

Doesn't Viking use the Hilton Prague Old Town on V Celnici, where there is a Marriott across the street? As I recall a quick walk towards the church Square will bring you to a metro station and a tram system that will take you most anywhere. Otherwise,  Praha is pretty much a walking town. 😀

Viking does not use Hilton Old Town in Prague. They use large Hilton at edge of business district. Yes it is walkable to Old Town, little over mile or so, once you know the directions!! Problem is Viking reps were not doing good job of assisting or offering much in way of assistance in giving detailed maps or directions. 
As far as subways / trams - 1) not all travelers are from large cities or accustomed to using those, 2) Czech uses cryllic language, so signs are not written in recognized spelling or letters in making out words - unless you read Czech. We would have had no idea which stop, or where to go from there, 3) Prague is very walkable, but only if very fit. Many stairs, uneven surfaces, all cobblestones, some slick - very few railings. Steep hill to castle. 
Viking really needs to emphasize this in bookings. There were guests in our group using canes, or who could not manage the distance on the walking tour, nor the stairs, nor the cobblestones and there was no way to avoid. There are concrete steps to and from most boat dockings so far. And we had 2 guests ask for elevator- there is none. If one can not manage stairs easily,  should not be on these cruises. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, milling73 said:

And we had 2 guests ask for elevator- there is none. If one can not manage stairs easily,  should not be on these cruises. 

I apologise if I misunderstood and you are talking about elevators from quayside to boat, but Mimir is a Longship and there is an elevator, though it doesn't serve the cabins at the top, lounge or the sun deck. However it will take passengers between the lower deck and the restaurant deck. 

47 minutes ago, pontac said:

I apologise if I misunderstood and you are talking about elevators from quayside to boat, but Mimir is a Longship and there is an elevator, though it doesn't serve the cabins at the top, lounge or the sun deck. However it will take passengers between the lower deck and the restaurant deck. 

All Viking longships are the same, the elevator does not go to the lowest deck (1), only decks 2 (Dinning Room & 200 cabins) & 3 (Lounge, Aquavit Terrace & 300 cabins). You'll need to use the stairs to get up to the top (Sun) deck ...

Edited by Haqdeluxe
  • Thanks 1

The elevator they wanted was from sidewalk to river. There were buildings near and they assumed they would have elevator to path by river / docking ramp. There is not. We boarded at Budapest down about 15 steps to path above river. Then because river is low, the ramp to our boat was also pretty slanted. A downhill walk onto boat, uphill ramp from boat to path, then about 15 steps to road/sidewalk. 

On 7/31/2022 at 11:04 AM, milling73 said:

And we had 2 guests ask for elevator- there is none. If one can not manage stairs easily,  should not be on these cruises. 

I do scratch may head about this a bit. Do people really not get the info before they go? I mean, if I need a cane for walking, would I not think to ask about mobility when booking anything in Europe? Perhaps I am just too used to it all. I think Viking needs to get more info across openly and not on the back page or in the fine print, true. One cannot expect a prospective cruiser to know that a lift cannot go to the sundeck because the super structures need to be almost flush with the sundeck for passing under bridges. That would be asking for too much technical and regional knowledge.

Likewise, an elevator at the embankment is a serious complication during flooding and I do not think a sensible option to build. I would be happy if an architect proved me wrong, but why go to such length when people have been using perfectly fine landing stages for 100 years?

Anyway...

On 7/30/2022 at 6:53 PM, milling73 said:

Now on Mimir leaving Budapest on Grand European. We are sailing and sailed out on schedule. 

You are on the ship! Hope your first two days have been fun and your cruise continues with little adventure (you know, the water levels...) and much great food and landscape viewing.

notamermaid