Arvia crew.

cockneyjock

Hopefully they will recruit early enough. Of course, many of them will join from other ships. Just have to hope Covid cases don't go crazy again... I don't tend to cruise with P&O in the winter so hopefully 'I'm alright Jack'...🤞🏻😉

2 hours ago, cockneyjock said:

How will they get crew for Arvia? Mothball Arcadia again?

Who knows for sure, however I would imagine the ball is rolling on this one and the usual method of taking experienced staff from other ships and mixing them with new staff is in action. I would imagine even that is not as straightforward as it used to be BC. 

• Like 1

Arcadia goes on its world cruise at close to the same time as Arvia debuts. Unless that is cancelled then that mothballing is ruled out. Also, on previous cruises, I have come across crew that have said that the world cruises are popular amongst crew so I guess if there is any kind of way that crew can pick and choose/ask for certain contracts then I am guessing the worldie ones would be popular and fully staffed -  may even be able to open all Arcadia's speciality restaurants!

8 hours ago, Britboys said:

Hopefully they will recruit early enough. Of course, many of them will join from other ships. Just have to hope Covid cases don't go crazy again... I don't tend to cruise with P&O in the winter so hopefully 'I'm alright Jack'...🤞🏻😉

Moley said a few weeks ago that a big recruitment drive was ongoing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would imagine that it will be as with other flagships they grab the best staff from other ships. May be a bit more difficult as it appears from fellow shipmates on this forum that on most cruises at present some amenities aren't available because of lack of staff. It won't really pay for P&O to nick staff from other ships making them even more understaffed as the revues they receive aren't going to be pleasant reading as after all whichever ship you are sailing on you deserve the same level of service.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, emam said:

Moley said a few weeks ago that a big recruitment drive was ongoing.

Yes, and don't forget I met the lady at Gatwick airport who was collecting the new crew for Britannia and Queen Victoria. That was 9 July so they must be going operational fairly soon after their quarantine.

• Like 2

Ariva crew are a mixture of experienced well performing crew from across the fleet. They have all rotated off over the last couple of months and will slowly rotate on to Ariva, mostly in November.

Yes, massive recruitment drive underway to recruit more staff. These both backfill existing roles on teh current fleet plus potentialy a few roles on Ariva too. I understand recruitment is going well.

On the other point, speciality restaurants being closed is now down to staff availability. Earlier this year, the random closures were partly due to supply chain  issues. 

• Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Would imagine that it will be as with other flagships they grab the best staff from other ships. May be a bit more difficult as it appears from fellow shipmates on this forum that on most cruises at present some amenities aren't available because of lack of staff. It won't really pay for P&O to nick staff from other ships making them even more understaffed as the revues they receive aren't going to be pleasant reading as after all whichever ship you are sailing on you deserve the same level of service.

Do you know for certain that Arvia will be the flagship? On our recent Britannia cruisr the Captain referred to Britannia as the fleet flagship, even though Iona has been in service for the last 12 months.

40 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Do you know for certain that Arvia will be the flagship? On our recent Britannia cruisr the Captain referred to Britannia as the fleet flagship, even though Iona has been in service for the last 12 months.

Just looked in the current main brochure and the description of Britannia in the 'Meet the Fleet' pages says "...our flagship really does have something for everyone".

18 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I thought Britannia was the flagship. Is that changing to Arvia?

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Just looked in the current main brochure and the description of Britannia in the 'Meet the Fleet' pages says "...our flagship really does have something for everyone".

I believe it is still Britannia because of the history in the name and the royal connections.  People just assume when a new ship comes along it automatically becomes the flagship.  I doubt for instance Queen Anne will replace Queen Mary 2 over on Cunard.

• Like 2

Now cruising is heading back towards normality i dont think P&O will have stafing issues in the future.. currently yes due to build back up post lockdown etc, but i would imagine the there would be no shortage of potential staff from the countries they recruit from. Just got to add training which will slow down on board services. 

12 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Ariva crew are a mixture of experienced well performing crew from across the fleet. They have all rotated off over the last couple of months and will slowly rotate on to Ariva, mostly in November.

Yes, massive recruitment drive underway to recruit more staff. These both backfill existing roles on teh current fleet plus potentialy a few roles on Ariva too. I understand recruitment is going well.

On the other point, speciality restaurants being closed is now down to staff availability. Earlier this year, the random closures were partly due to supply chain  issues. 

They have been trying to recruit staff since before Arcadia came back into service. The problem isn't recruitment, but getting them to the U.K. I even suggested to P&O that they sent Arcadia to the Philippines to get them, instead of floundering off the Devon coast.

Another lead balloon.

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

I thought Britannia was the flagship. Is that changing to Arvia?

I seem to recall P&O announcing a while back that Britannia would remain the flagship of the fleet, even with Arvia and Iona.

• Like 1

Without getting into an argument about aesthetics , I do think a flag ship should at least look like a ship, which leaves Iona and Arvia out of the running.

As an aside, do other lines have a flagship   - I don't recal Princess, HA etc having one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Without getting into an argument about aesthetics , I do think a flag ship should at least look like a ship, which leaves Iona and Arvia out of the running.

As an aside, do other lines have a flagship   - I don't recal Princess, HA etc having one.

I believe Sky Princess is/was the current flagship, and Rotterdam was mentioned in a press clip as Holland America's flagship.

Screenshot 2022-08-03 170514.jpg