Laundry - all inclusive package and general question

zentraveler

I have read various things about laundry and would like to get this all straight before our cruise on the Legend in October (Turkey and Greece). Does the All-Inclusive package include laundry? Their website makes no mention of that as one of the included items - just wifi, drinks and gratuities, but I seem to have read elsewhere that it is included.

If not, how does laundry work? Is it by the piece or fill a bag for a set price?  We have no special status on Windstar and are not in a suite so it won't come as a perk for that so would appreciate some clarification from those who know!

The laundry system it is the best. I forget cost per item but I do know that before I had my gold status I felt it was cheaper for us on a per item basis. My thought on vacation, no way do I want to hand wash laundry. Since we drink so little the laundry was my treat to myself. Now it comes with our status and I love it more. Happy Sailing, we have done Turkey and Greece absolutely terrific. 

3 minutes ago, Strenz said:

The laundry system it is the best. I forget cost per item but I do know that before I had my gold status I felt it was cheaper for us on a per item basis. My thought on vacation, no way do I want to hand wash laundry. Since we drink so little the laundry was my treat to myself. Now it comes with our status and I love it more. Happy Sailing, we have done Turkey and Greece absolutely terrific. 

Thank you! I have no interest in hand washing laundry either but just trying to figure out the best way to do this. Sounds like it is per piece and not a bag price and someone will let me know about the all-inclusive although if it is not on their website whatever I read before is likely not accurate.

On our December Wind Surf trip, they had "by the bag" laundry available.  A full bag was $45, and boy did we stuff it.  We had laundry done 3x during the 10 days and this came out to be less expensive than the "unlimited" laundry option, which runs $16/ day (for 2 people).  

It's buried deep in Windstar's website, but you can see the various packages and options on their "Gift Order Form." https://windstarcruises-media.s3.amazonaws.com/media/plan_your_voyage/gift_order_form.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, RemPuck said:

On our December Wind Surf trip, they had "by the bag" laundry available.  A full bag was $45, and boy did we stuff it.  We had laundry done 3x during the 10 days and this came out to be less expensive than the "unlimited" laundry option, which runs $16/ day (for 2 people).  

It's buried deep in Windstar's website, but you can see the various packages and options on their "Gift Order Form." https://windstarcruises-media.s3.amazonaws.com/media/plan_your_voyage/gift_order_form.pdf

Thank you RemPuck, but I think that deal is gone and is why I am confused about the various things I have read . I realized I after I posted that I could "chat" with Windstar and this is what I got back what is below. I also asked for a price list for the laundry and I have attached that. The link you sent has apparently been amended not to include the  "by the bag" option which we have SO appreciated on WS and Seabourn in the past. Really too bad about that but these cruise lines have had a rough couple of years financially.

The laundry is no longer included in the All Inclusive package, but you may purchase the laundry package for $8 per person per day or pay per piece onboard.

WS Laundry Service 2022.pdf

Hi @zentraveler  I think the "by the bag" deals come and go.  We were planning to buy the $8/per person / day package on board in December but we found a flyer for the bag deal when we boarded.  Since we'd been travelling a few days before we boarded, we had clothes needing washing, so we just stuffed the bag.  It seemed like it was an "embarkation day" deal until we had the flyer in our room throughout.  The instructions were to not count out the items (as per the list you attached) but to instead just write "By the bag" in the special instructions area. 

We did use the unlimited laundry (same $8/pp/pd) on a prior trip and it was really a good deal.  We used it every-other-day on a 10 day trip, much more than we'd normally do if we were paying by the piece.

And as @Strenz noted, they do a great job with the laundry.

Enjoy your trip!

16 minutes ago, RemPuck said:

Hi @zentraveler  I think the "by the bag" deals come and go.  We were planning to buy the $8/per person / day package on board in December but we found a flyer for the bag deal when we boarded.  Since we'd been travelling a few days before we boarded, we had clothes needing washing, so we just stuffed the bag.  It seemed like it was an "embarkation day" deal until we had the flyer in our room throughout.  The instructions were to not count out the items (as per the list you attached) but to instead just write "By the bag" in the special instructions area. 

We did use the unlimited laundry (same $8/pp/pd) on a prior trip and it was really a good deal.  We used it every-other-day on a 10 day trip, much more than we'd normally do if we were paying by the piece.

And as @Strenz noted, they do a great job with the laundry.

Enjoy your trip!

Good to know - thanks RemPuck. As I think about it, we are getting on board the day after we land at IST from SFO and only 8 days so will likely not need too much laundry at that point although I will keep a careful lookout for any offers! Most of our 3 week trip is after the cruise do leaving with a weeks worth of clean clothes would be a big plus!!

• Like 1

It was formerly included but I believe is not at the moment. I suspect this was part of the general plan to include benefits in the various Yacht Club perks, and the laundry was a pretty inexpensive one to add. We adore the package we board the ship and immediately prepare our first bag. A few times during the voyage and then we plan so everything except what we're wearing is clean the evening before disembarkation. Worth every penny!

Laundry used to be included in the All-In package which is why you have read conflicting information. They reduced the All-In package price by $10 and removed laundry. Probably removed because many passengers get the laundry package for free so the old system made the All-In package less attractive to those who were already getting free laundry.

The laundry package is $8 per day per passenger - you have to take it for the whole cruise if you prefer that to per piece prices. The laundry package is free for passengers on Star Collectors (and possibly those on the rare non-Star Collector cruises over 13 days). 4-star Yacht Club passengers also get it for free and there is a discount on the package of 5% or 10% depending on Yacht Club level. 

Per piece prices are reasonable compared to hotel rates, but we take the package. It's so nice to not have to think about it and send in whatever we want. Also, we usually travel to the cruise a few days ahead so we arrive on board with several days of laundry to send in. 

They do sometimes offer a per bag special mid-cruise but since I usually have the package, I haven't paid much attention. The one time I noticed it I was on an early season Alaska cruise that was part of a Star Collector. Out of curiosity, I compared per piece prices of what I was putting in the bag to the bag price (academic since I had the laundry package). With cool weather clothes, one would have to stuff hard to get value from the per bag price - but it probably works out better on warm weather cruise.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

Laundry used to be included in the All-In package which is why you have read conflicting information. They reduced the All-In package price by $10 and removed laundry. Probably removed because many passengers get the laundry package for free so the old system made the All-In package less attractive to those who were already getting free laundry.

The laundry package is $8 per day per passenger - you have to take it for the whole cruise if you prefer that to per piece prices. The laundry package is free for passengers on Star Collectors (and possibly those on the rare non-Star Collector cruises over 13 days). 4-star Yacht Club passengers also get it for free and there is a discount on the package of 5% or 10% depending on Yacht Club level. 

Per piece prices are reasonable compared to hotel rates, but we take the package. It's so nice to not have to think about it and send in whatever we want. Also, we usually travel to the cruise a few days ahead so we arrive on board with several days of laundry to send in. 

They do sometimes offer a per bag special mid-cruise but since I usually have the package, I haven't paid much attention. The one time I noticed it I was on an early season Alaska cruise that was part of a Star Collector. Out of curiosity, I compared per piece prices of what I was putting in the bag to the bag price (academic since I had the laundry package). With cool weather clothes, one would have to stuff hard to get value from the per bag price - but it probably works out better on warm weather cruise.

Thank you new_cruiser. That really clears up the confusion. We will be boarding our cruise a day after we land so will still have lots of clean clothes. If they offer a bag option that would be great for us (we had that on a Seabourn cruise it was lovely) but if not we will likely do a per piece laundry at towards the end of the cruise so we start off most of the rest of the trip with clean clothes!

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Is there a set upper limit for cost of beverages that is included in the all-inclusive package for drinks?

Yes, if memory serves me correctly, but one would have to drink a lot to reach it; I think it is more of a per drinks per day. .And it seemed to me that everything at the bar was included although they may not have top, top shelf there. The wine list does not contain a lot of premium wines; they are available, but not on the all inclusive daily package. They sell wine packages  with better wine. One nice thing is that it is clear what is and is not included in the package. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:51 PM, zentraveler said:

Yes, if memory serves me correctly, but one would have to drink a lot to reach it; I think it is more of a per drinks per day. .And it seemed to me that everything at the bar was included although they may not have top, top shelf there. The wine list does not contain a lot of premium wines; they are available, but not on the all inclusive daily package. They sell wine packages  with better wine. One nice thing is that it is clear what is and is not included in the package. 

This is a report from 2022, so should be fairly current.  https://eatsleepcruise.com/complete-guide-to-windstar-cruises-drink-packages/

I am not away of a better quality wine-only package. There is a Topmast beer and wine, but I believe that is a sub-set of the full package. As far as my experience has been (over 20 itins) is that the wines are from the "by the glass" list, and there are some perfectly fine choices on there, but they'll pour you as many glasses as you'd like.  Booze is most things from the bar, although there are a few exceptions mostly things like higher end scotch. Some things I thought weren't included, like Hendricks, were gladly poured for me. All in all, it is a reasonable list of offerings. You also get 30% off on bottled of other wines when you have the package.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

Just got off phone with an experienced sounding agent at Windstar. She confirmed that cruises of 14 days or greater get free laundry service.

I can confirm that as well. We were on a 15-day single segment  (i.e. not a Star Collector) and laundry was free for everyone on that cruise.

• Like 1

Windstar had to remove laundry from the All-in Package because too many people were buying it. The ships do not have enough storage space for all the grey water created by heavy laundry use.

If they had continued offering laundry to so many people, they would have been forced to change itineraries to allow the ships to get out to sea to dump the grey water.

That would have resulted in shorter port stays or missed ports.

2 hours ago, cruisin'mama said:

Do they do a ‘bag’ of laundry if you don’t buy the entire laundry package?

Yes, they provide a bag in every cabin whether you use it for the package or piecemeal or not at all. The laundry service is highly recommended.

4 hours ago, cruisin'mama said:

Do they do a ‘bag’ of laundry if you don’t buy the entire laundry package?

If you mean a flat fee per bag, they do have a special for that occasionally on cruises. I don't know whether it happens once per cruise or more or less since I usually have the package. I noticed it once when I was on an Alaska cruise. It seemed like one would have to stuff the bag pretty hard to break even with it though perhaps on a warm weather cruise with more shorts and cooler tps it would work out better. Windstar's per piece prices are pretty reasonable.

6 hours ago, Donald said:

Windstar had to remove laundry from the All-in Package because too many people were buying it. The ships do not have enough storage space for all the grey water created by heavy laundry use.

If they had continued offering laundry to so many people, they would have been forced to change itineraries to allow the ships to get out to sea to dump the grey water.

That would have resulted in shorter port stays or missed ports.

I very much doubt that was the reason. They give everyone the laundry package on cruises over 13 days like the New Zealand/Australia cruise we were on. I've been on Mediterranean cruises where a very high proportion of the passengers were on Cruise Collectors so got the package for free and all 4 stars get it free.

It's more likely that they took it out of the package because so many get the laundry package for free anyway. It made the package less attractive by inflating the price. When they took out, they dropped the package price by $10 (slightly more than the laundry package price) to compensate.

They are generally out at sea often enough that it isn't a problem. Due to weather conditions, the ship stayed in Auckland 3 consecutive days (the penultimate day of one cruise, turnaround day when we boarded and the next day of our cruise). That 3 day port stay did stress the grey water capacity and delayed return of the laundry we turned in the first morning but that was a pretty unusual circumstance.

• Like 1