Quantum of the Seas -- Recent cruises to Alaska

36 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The engine fix is supposed to start next week? The port changes have already been announced.

I don't see any real changes to our 8/22 cruise other than a couple of hour differences in two ports.  So for now, I guess we are good to go with what we have.  I do realize my comment is subject to change per any information I might receive from Royal. 

I’m on this sailing also!

We just got word that our helicopter/dogsledding excursion in Juneau has been cancelled.  Something about too much rain making the snow melt and having to end tours early.  I can’t help but be disappointed.  This was not a RC excursion, so not sure what’s up with theirs.

RC did cancel another excursion of mine…the train in Skagway.  Lots of flexibility needed this trip, I think.  

1 minute ago, heatherandnick said:

We just got word that our helicopter/dogsledding excursion in Juneau has been cancelled.  Something about too much rain making the snow melt and having to end tours early.  I can’t help but be disappointed.  This was not a RC excursion, so not sure what’s up with theirs.

RC did cancel another excursion of mine…the train in Skagway.  Lots of flexibility needed this trip, I think.  

Thank you for your post.  Cancellation of Juneau helicopter trips is not unusual so I am not surprised that this happened.  I am sad that you did not get the opportunity to go on your excursion.  Wonder why your train in Skagway was cancelled.  I know the rock slide is playing havoc for Princess (which I am doing the week prior to the Quantum) but have not seen anything that would affect the Quantum.   Between our Discovery Princess and Quantum cruise I feel like a ping pong ball going back and forth in all my port checks. 

We just received this:

Dear Guest,

Due to speed limitations caused by a technical issue with one of the ship’s engines, we’ve replaced our visit to Icy Strait Point, Alaska with Ketchikan, Alaska. Additionally, instead of visiting Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier on Friday, we’ll have a full day in Juneau, Alaska……

1 hour ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We just received this:

Dear Guest,

Due to speed limitations caused by a technical issue with one of the ship’s engines, we’ve replaced our visit to Icy Strait Point, Alaska with Ketchikan, Alaska. Additionally, instead of visiting Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier on Friday, we’ll have a full day in Juneau, Alaska……

Yes - Glaciers are cancelled for the remainder of the Alaska season for Quantum.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We just received this:

Dear Guest,

Just got this also. More than likely we will cancel out B2B cruises on the Quantum that would have started August 29.

2 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We just received this:

Dear Guest,

Sad that Royal could not have avoided this. One engine down due to the fire. And they are voluntarily taking a second engine offline for routine maintenance. Fully understand that the routine maintenance was schedule months and months in advance with a boat load of vendor mechanics coming onboard, but they are totally inflexible to accommodate the fact that they have a failure in a second engine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We just received this:

Dear Guest,

While I am disappointed, I understand.  However, I do not consider the amount of time in Juneau to be a full day as they are describing it.  Past port times have been much longer in Juneau.  It is what it is and I guess we will just make the best of it.

What bothers me is that they are offering less compensation than those in August.  They get one cruise fare day back in OBC.  Also I believe they get to keep an originally scheduled port (Icy Straight Point), thus their excursions were unaffected.  I don’t  know about all September sailings, but shore excursions on my itinerary are almost all sold out.  I would imagine the same is in Ketchikan with all the previous scheduled ships, so what if any will be left to choose from.  So not only do I lose my excursion in Icy Straight Point, but may not be able to book one in Ketchikan.  Plus extending in Juneau doesn’t make up the fact that they are decreasing time in the other ports, so it is still a net loss of time.

i understand that things happen, and they are not required to compensate at all, but at least offer the same compensation equally.  There is no reason for those in September to get any less compensation than those in August.

3 hours ago, crusincucamonga said:

Any updates to the August 15th sailing?

We are on the 15th August sailing and there have been no updates at all. Once they sent out the "final itinerary" that was it. I will not allow it to ruin my vacation. 

Edited by gowensricks
  • Like 1

On the August 8 sailing and received an email from Royal today saying they’re adding 4 hours on to our Skagway day.  I kind of snickered about that as other lines are skipping Skagway because of the rockslide issues.  Really disappointed about missing Icy Strait Point as we had a whale watching tour booked.  Wound up booking a personal tour in Ketchikan through Viator because just about all the excursions were sold out.

Edited by CTSandy

On 8/2/2022 at 3:32 PM, heatherandnick said:

I'm on Ovation for the 8/12 sailing. We have the helicopter/dog sledding excursion booked through RC and have not heard anything yet. If it is due to snow melt for one company, it will be for all! lol. Hopefully they inform us ASAP! 

Additionally, we have the train in Skagway booked too through RC and they did not cancel that one yet either. Hm.

On 8/3/2022 at 5:03 PM, TheBucketLister said:

What bothers me is that they are offering less compensation than those in August.  They get one cruise fare day back in OBC.  Also I believe they get to keep an originally scheduled port (Icy Straight Point), thus their excursions were unaffected.  I don’t  know about all September sailings, but shore excursions on my itinerary are almost all sold out.  I would imagine the same is in Ketchikan with all the previous scheduled ships, so what if any will be left to choose from.  So not only do I lose my excursion in Icy Straight Point, but may not be able to book one in Ketchikan.  Plus extending in Juneau doesn’t make up the fact that they are decreasing time in the other ports, so it is still a net loss of time.

i understand that things happen, and they are not required to compensate at all, but at least offer the same compensation equally.  There is no reason for those in September to get any less compensation than those in August.

We are on the August 22 sailing and they’ve cancelled the glacier and icy strait.  We are getting $100 OBC.  I believe that’s per balcony room, not per person.

On 8/5/2022 at 7:30 AM, heatherandnick said:

We are on the August 22 sailing and they’ve cancelled the glacier and icy strait.  We are getting $100 OBC.  I believe that’s per balcony room, not per person.

Interesting, I read a post on Royal Caribbean Blog that Royal Caribbean changed the compensation for affected cruises in August (originally the first three in August) from the $50/$100/$200, to one day of cruise fare paid.  So whatever the cruise fare price was (not port charges and taxes) divided by seven.  Which I think is a fairer deal.

Edited by TheBucketLister

2 hours ago, TheBucketLister said:

Interesting, I read a post on Royal Caribbean Blog that Royal Caribbean changed the compensation for affected cruises in August (originally the first three in August) from the $50/$100/$200, to one day of cruise fare paid.  So whatever the cruise fare price was (not port charges and taxes) divided by seven.  Which I think is a fairer deal.

Just curious, your post implies that all sailings on Quantum in August will receive one days cruise fare refunded (as OBC). I haven’t found that post on Royal Caribbean Blog. Could you please post the link to that article?

3 hours ago, ScottR714 said:

Just curious, your post implies that all sailings on Quantum in August will receive one days cruise fare refunded (as OBC). I haven’t found that post on Royal Caribbean Blog. Could you please post the link to that article?

At the time I read the article, it was the initial first three cruises in August.  I don’t know if I can post the link here. But google “quantum royal caribbean engine” and it should be the first link or so.  Blog post title is “Royal Caribbean updates Quantum of the Seas engine trouble that requires skipping glacier viewings in August” posted on 07/03/2022.

Sorry for the confusion.  When I said August I was referring to the only three (first three in August) that were affected at the time.  I believe the remainder of August and all of September were just announced as being altered a couple of days ago.  Where all the newly altered itineraries are at the $50/$100/$200 of OBC, which I feel should be the same as the first three in August.  The first three in August were originally the $50/$100/$200 of OBC, but RC changed it to the one cruise fare day of OBC shortly after announcing  the lower amount.

Edited by TheBucketLister
  • Thanks 1

I just want to know how shore excursions will be handled in Juneau as the ship now arrives in early morning and leaves at 3pm instead of leaving at 8pm.  A lot of nice excursions are in mid afternoon like my glacier and Salmon bake.  Hoping it gets moved up 3 hours and the salmon is now lunch instead of dinner..  time will tell I guess.  Looks like some other ports now leave at 4pm instead of 5 pm.