Prebooked excursion and 15% service charge

PAMJP

We are sailing on Queen Victoria in October and have started to look at excursions. We have booked one for Tromso and received a confirmation email. Is it normal for Cunard to add 15% service charge to your onboard account, which they say you can amend or cancel once on board? I can understand , I think, if I dealt with someone to help with booking but I did it through my Cunard online myself. 

It's a long time since I booked an excursion(!) but I think this is a new departure, that I too noticed.  I will be asking for my service charge to be removed unless I get a very convincing explanation for it.  Given its quality, Cunard should be paying me to use their website, not vice versa!

7 minutes ago, Teddy123 said:

It's a long time since I booked an excursion(!) but I think this is a new departure, that I too noticed.  I will be asking for my service charge to be removed unless I get a very convincing explanation for it.  Given its quality, Cunard should be paying me to use their website, not vice versa!

Totally agree!🤙

Cunard has apparently just recently started adding the 15% service charge to their shore excursions, with the proviso that I can be amended or removed. What isn't clear is who ultimately receives the money. If it goes back to the tour operators and ultimately to the guides and coach drivers, eliminating the need for us to tip those who served us during the excursion, then I could see that might be a useful step. If it ends up with Cunard, possibly to be distributed to the onboard shore excursion staff, then I'm less inclined to see how that charge is merited for an online booking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Service charge on excursions?

Is any other cruise company that greedy?

Is this for real or an IT glitch?

I just read a post on social media indicating this is indeed some kind of glitch and that Cunard is not intending to add a 15% service charge on their shore excursions. That didn't come directly from Cunard but it is from a well informed contributor with Cunard contacts. I guess time will tell for sure.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

Just now, bluemarble said:

I just read a post on social media indicating this is indeed some kind of glitch and that Cunard is not intending to add a 15% service charge on their shore excursions. That didn't come coming directly from Cunard but it is from a well informed contributor. I guess time will tell for sure.

Well I hope so ... Thank you @bluemarble

I just checked for my upcoming cruise and this charge is nowhere mentioned, neither directly nor in the T&Cs.

7 minutes ago, Teddy123 said:

The confirmation e-mail says the 15% is added to the onboard account "after the service is rendered", not paid up front, so there's scope for Cunard to drop it.

Sounds like maybe the text should be on spa appointment confirmations not shore excursions?

• Like 1

I booked two trips today and also got the 15% will be added on my confirmation. They can go take a running jump their excursion prices are a third more expensive than doing independently sadly my independent choice has had to cancel so I've booked thro my voyage. 🤔🙄

Thanks for all replies, yes my confirmation email mentioned the 15% would be added to our on board account. I intend to cancel the charge when we are on board. Maybe Cunard will be giving me 15% refund of excursion cost as a thank you for booking online!

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

There's no service charge showing on mine, I didn't actually book any but I got as far as the page to enter my credit card information and the total was just the amount shown on the original page.

I almost booked 2 shore excursions yesterday. The amount that would have been charged to my credit card was the amount quoted. There was nothing about service charges and I doubt they could legally add them once I had made the purchase.

In the end I didn't buy them since I couldn't use OBC. If I book the trips onboard, then I can pay for them from my OBC. 

Friends have booked excursions prior to departure and this appears on the email confirmation:

A suggested 15% service charge will be applied to your onboard account after this service is rendered. Should you wish to remove, reduce or increase this amount, please make this request once on board.

1 hour ago, longton said:

Friends have booked excursions prior to departure and this appears on the email confirmation:

A suggested 15% service charge will be applied to your onboard account after this service is rendered. Should you wish to remove, reduce or increase this amount, please make this request once on board.

Same as I got today  

IMPORTANT  CLARIFICATION !

Just to clarify and put everyones mind at rest, there will be NO 15% service added to Cunard Shoreside Tours.

Yesterday I contacted a good friend of mine (Tours Manager Q.Victoria) who confirms it's a Glitch in the system. The onboard Tours Team were unaware of it until it was brought to their attention , they are taking steps to rectify the e mail that customers/guests have received.

Just to add, the Glitch is from shoreside and not from the onboard tours office across the fleet.

Hattie is correct, it appears the author of the E mails ( shore side) has been using the wrong Template possibly the one used for Spa appointments .   

• Like 5

This reflects incredible disorganisation within Cunard.  Any communication with customers about any department's activities should be approved by that department (not each individual e-mail, of course, but they should see an example as part of the overall verification process).

• Like 1