How to make the most of a Transatlantic Cruise?

GRBlizz

Just now, canderson said:

So has @airbalancer.

I think you may have missed his <sarc> </sarc> tags! 😁

I did miss it.    Sorry @airbalancer I thought you were being serious.    OK... I'm having my first cup of coffee with Fresh Squeezed California OJ and Fresh Blueberries. 

Thanks @canderson

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

@Ex-Airbalancer  also forgot to mention other TA hardship issues such as scurvy and sea monsters.

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

@Ex-Airbalancer  also forgot to mention other TA hardship issues such as scurvy and sea monsters.

Along with icebergs on our recent Iceland cruise.

The other hardship is running out of beer on cruises with lots of Aussies and Kiwis.  They drink the ship dry in 6 days on a cruise for the 100th anniversary of Gallipoli. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I did miss it.    Sorry @airbalancer I thought you were being serious.    OK... I'm having my first cup of coffee with Fresh Squeezed California OJ and Fresh Blueberries. 

Thanks @canderson

Grab some of Iain's morning eye opener over some ice! ☺️

Our next TA is only a month away now!

People often ask what on Earth we do with so many at-sea days.  Often, I can't even put together a list, but can always say we felt more of them would have been just fine with us.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

Grab some of Iain's morning eye opener over some ice! ☺️

Our next TA is only a month away now!

People often ask what on Earth we do with so many at-sea days.  Often, I can't even put together a list, but can always say we felt more of them would have been just fine with us.  

I felt much the same on my first cruise.    On business I was constantly in the air for most of my career.  When Iain first suggested taking a cruise 20+ years ago I agreed reluctantly thinking I would be bored to death .    I just couldn't imagine being locked on a ship for a full week.

Obviously I loved it and found it to be the most relaxed I had ever been.  

To the OP.   There really is a difference between a very Port intensive cruise like a Med cruise where you are in a new port every day arriving early.    After a couple ports we are always begging for sea day for some down time.   On a TA you can do as much or as little as you choose and just have some quality uninterrupted time with your with your Spouse, SO or friend.

• Like 1

We are doing our first TA end of Oct, Westbound, Rome to FLL, although we've been cruising for many years. It's so wonderful to hear stories and experiences from you all avid TA cruisers. So excited!! Thanks for all the stories sharing!! 

31 minutes ago, seapad said:

We are doing our first TA end of Oct, Westbound, Rome to FLL, although we've been cruising for many years. It's so wonderful to hear stories and experiences from you all avid TA cruisers. So excited!! Thanks for all the stories sharing!! 

I think many of us were originally 'talked into' the idea of our first TA, and, having experienced mostly port-port-port cruising, had some anxiety about how we would fill the time.

The experience of waking up (after an additional hour of sleep!) and realizing we are beholden to no schedule whatsoever is a true joy.  Many have lost track of what it feels like to just chill for a while, and TA and TP cruises are definitely a way to become reacquainted with that mode, even if just for a few hours each day at sea.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I guess we all have different opinions and expectation.  Definitely not a criticism as I respect your opinion.   

While I don't partake in the ship's sponsored activities I've never been bored, find their food to be much the same as most cruises with multiple stops.    They ships do re-provision at each stop and I've seen plenty of fresh salads and vegs.    I will agree with you that sometimes the Berries are in short supply and occasionally they run short of popular items before re-provisioning. 

We have been doing at least 1 TA or TP a year for the past 20 years and have a number of them planned.   Obviously I love them and they have a huge following.

Jim , we need to discouraged from taking TAs 

Too many people are taking them and driving the price up  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We have done four TAs and look forward to the next (and the next…).  As others have said, know what you like to do. We start with leisurely coffee in the cabin and a late breakfast. I’m big on hitting the fitness center and love that there is time every day if I wish to do so.  On our QM2 eastbound, we about missed lunch several days due to the Noon time change. I would have been okay, but not DH. Missing a meal is a “no go”.

Read through the daily program and pay attention to the lectures. I attended a couple because I “didn’t have anything better to do” and was so glad I did. Explore areas of the ship you wouldn’t take the time to seek out on a busier cruise. If you enjoy playing cards, etc. (not my gig), join the roll call as there will be people with the same interests. 

I initially thought I didn’t need a balcony, but I love the occasional times to sit out there, plus the light it lets into the cabin. Bring some good books. Plan to relax. Enjoy!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Jim , we need to discouraged from taking TAs 

Too many people are taking them and driving the price up  😁

I agree.   Remember when they were the least expensive cruises because they were considered a "Re-Positioning Cruise".       

Party Line ---- TA's are terrible and Caribbean Cruises are so exciting and so much fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree.   Remember when they were the least expensive cruises because they were considered a "Re-Positioning Cruise".       

Party Line ---- TA's are terrible and Caribbean Cruises are so exciting and so much fun.

We remember. Our first one was so cheap and we got upgraded from a bottom line Oceanview to a mini-suite.  Agree with you, “they’re a terrible experience”.  😉

• Haha 1

DH & I are TA-lovers too, our first was westbound on Azamara some 13 years ago just before it became part of RCI. After that we've done both directions on everything from Viking and Cunard to MSC and Costa. Actually as a tip for the more budget-conscious, a TA on the lower-end ships like MSC is a very different experience than a seven day Caribbean or Med cruise. One of our most enjoyable TAs was actually on MSC Divina in an ordinary aft balcony. They had an Irish dance troupe on board that had danced with Michael Flatley, and they gave daily Irish dance classes that were great fun. Another memorable TA was on Costa from Buenos Aires to Europe - albeit in a suite, but the price at that time was comparable to an ordinary balcony on the more upmarket lines.

Haven't done a TA on Celebrity yet, but a couple of Suez-repos on Connie (we were lucky to grab aft FV) from the Med to Dubai/UAE, that also include lots of consecutive sea-days. For Europeans and/or sea-day lovers looking for an alternative to a TA, with some exotic port-stops thrown in between sea-days, the Suez-repos (nowadays marketed as "Grand Adventures" or similar) are an interesting alternative.

This is our 4th TA and we love 'em. We choose to fill the sea days with routine. Gym, breakfast, trivia, bridge, coffee, lunch, enrichment talks, reading, dozing, planning, dinner, show, movies, drinks, dancing.... repeat. There is always plenty to do if you look for it, or simply nothing to do when you prefer that. 

TAs have a different vibe to usual port intensive cruises. We've found folk to be more sociable, friendly and relaxed - especially on a string of sea days. You can almost hear ship exhale when you set off on a 5 or 6 sea day stint. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:00 PM, late2cruisin said:

Then maybe you should try cruising on HAL or Royal Caribbean- they tell you the day of the week in every elevator!😁

You mean all ships don’t do that 🤔🤔 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrewgary said:

I HATE transatlantics. I hate them so much we're already printing out our luggage tags for our Rome to Ft. Lauderdale in a month, which incidentaly will be our 7th TA. We've already booked #8 for next October.

Don’t hold back about your true feelings of a TA 😁