A few questions about Drink Packages - everyone in stateroom required to get same package? etc

AnnaNicole

I haven't cruised on Celebrity since COVID.   I like to drink 2 or 3 glasses of wine, a few cappucinos, and quite a few bottled water per day.   My husband does not drink alcohol at all.   He drinks cappuccinos and some bottled water.   No hard liquor, mixed drinks, soda or juice for either of us.  

Does Celebrity still require everyone in the stateroom to purchase the same beverage package?  I am trying to decide the best package configuration for us.

If I get the wine by the bottle package instead of the classic or premium package - can I choose only red wine bottles and have it delivered to our stateroom?

Can we bring a bottle or two of wine on board with us?   They used to allow it.

Thanks!   

Edited by AnnaNicole

• AnnaNicole changed the title to A few questions about Drink Packages - everyone in stateroom required to get same package? etc
2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Go read the FAQs for cruising.  Answered there.  And not exactly clear.

Thanks.  I read it.   Things are always evolving, it seems.   We have been on around 30 cruises over the past decade or two.   I try to stay current but admittedly, have fallen short and cutting to the chase by asking her.

Edited by AnnaNicole
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Go read the FAQs for cruising.  Answered there.  And not exactly clear.

Are you suggesting that there is something on the website or app that isn't perfectly clear???🤣

• Thanks 1

The only time both in a cabin must have the same package is if you book a All Included fare.  If purchasing beverage packages Celebrity has never required both parties in a cabin to buy the same package.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

The only time both in a cabin must have the same package is if you book a All Included fare.  If purchasing beverage packages Celebrity has never required both parties in a cabin to buy the same package.

Really?   Maybe I am thinking of other lines, but I am almost certain we were required by Celebrity on our Alaska cruise to buy the  alcohol package for both.   

If this is true, I am going to have my TA reimburse me for past Celebrity trips.  LOL

Here's something I found on a limited search.

https://www.cruzely.com/everything-to-know-about-cruise-line-drink-packages/#does_everyone_in_the_cabin_have_to_purchase_the_beverage_package

Does Everyone in the Cabin Have to Purchase the Beverage Package?

Often yes, if one person in a cabin buys the package, all adults will need to as well. That said, the rules do vary depending on the cruise line you are sailing.

Carnival requires that each adult in a stateroom purchase a drink package if one person does. So if a husband purchases the package but the wife doesn't drink, she must still purchase the drink package as well.

Royal Caribbean requires adult passengers in a cabin to all purchase the package if one person does.

Norwegian Cruise Lines requires each adult in the stateroom (and additional staterooms if you are traveling under the same payment method) to purchase the same drink package.

Princess does not specifically say that all passengers in a cabin have to purchase the drink package. Other sources confirm that other adults don't have to buy the drink package.

Celebrity Cruises spells out detailed terms of their drink package, including age restrictions, and that packages may not be shared. However, it does not state that all adults in the cabin have to purchase the package. A phone call to the cruise line confirmed that you do not have to purchase for everyone in the cabin.

MSC Cruises requires each adult to purchase the drink package if one person does. If you are traveling with a minor, then they will need to have the non-alcoholic drink package.

Bottom line: Except for a few cases, you should expect everyone has to buy it if one person does.

Edited by AnnaNicole

I seem to recall that when drink packages were originally introduced that both passengers in a stateroom were required to  have a drink package. If you tried to upgrade via the website both needed to upgrade. However, one could bump up to premium and not the other via a purchase over the phone or on the ship. That changed over the years. Also, we recently cruised and were allowed 2 bottles of wine per passenger. We had a sail only rate, so we brought 4 bottles of nice wine with us. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AnnaNicole said:

That's great to know.   Thanks!   

We can bring 4 bottles total?

We had a minor incident at FLL last week when trying to take our 4 bottles on board.  Authorities sent us to to the "naughty table" where they confiscated 2 bottles and told us to go to guest services when we boarded and speak to guest services.  I was able to show guest services the page on the FAQ's on their website stating the 2 per guest policy.  She acted quite surprised, but later that day before we sailed away our 2 other bottles were delivered to our cabin.  We were on The Equinox. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2022 at 5:06 PM, wrk2cruise said:

No  Each person in the cabin can have a different or no package

2 bottles of wine per person is allowed.

So this has changed from 2017 where if one adult purchases the alcohol package all adults must purchase also?  And it's always been  2 bottles wine per cabin, not per adult..... so this changed also?

Edited by mickeychicky
DISREGARD THIS POST, SORRY. For a different cruise line
  • Thanks 1