Shore excursions to Petra

calliopecruiser

Has anyone had good experiences with a 3rd party excursion from the port at Aqaba to Petra that they'd like to recommend?  Anyone have bad experiences they'd like to share?  Given the distance from the port and what I've heard is a rather laid-back attitude to time schedules, I'm worried about the timing.  Probably needlessly, but asking for others' experiences is always a good idea. 

• Like 1

I’d be interested in feedback on independent tours also. We dont visit until 26th Apr 23 however we had Aqaba as a port of call in Feb 2020 and as we were only in port from 0800-1800hrs we made the decision to take the ships excursion (there were 2 good ones, one with a packed lunch and a restaurant lunch) regardless. Covid meant it was cancelled. When I spoke to other travellers on the ship they said they always use tour operators/guides when they get off the ship and havent had any problems. Better safe than sorry I say. Hoping to get more detail which I will share

2 hours ago, Monkeygirl2 said:

When I spoke to other travellers on the ship they said they always use tour operators/guides when they get off the ship and havent had any problems. Better safe than sorry I say. Hoping to get more detail which I will share

Did their comments refer to Aqaba specifically?

Most ports we wing-it without any sort of tour or pre-arrangement, but that'd be difficult & risky at Aqaba because it's a secure port, because there's no public transport to Petra, because a lot of taxi drivers don't speak English, because of the distance to Petra thro open & isolated desert, etc.

If they were indeed referring to Aqaba, its a pound to a penny that their tours were pre-booked.

Nothing wrong with a pre-boked private tour as long as you very carefully check the operator's reviews and they have a contingency plan in case of a breakdown.

And if the price doesn't include the entrance fee for Petra (ships'  excursions do), check the walk-up entrance fee - last I heard it was the equivalent of around 70 USD.

JB 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at a Petra excursion by Jordan Horizons that specifically picks us up at the port, gives us an English speaking driver to Petra, and a few hours with a Petra guide from Petra (i.e. does not work for the tour company) - then back to the ship with the driver.  Admission included, but the price (about US$250 per person for 2) seems too low.  But they have excellent reviews, for what that's worth. 

• 3 months later...

Our group of 10 seniors recently did a 6 days private land tour of Jordan in Nov 2022 and our tour guide, Ismail Nas (WhatsApp +962 7 98324 2219), was just amazing. It is no wonder that he is the #1 TripAdvisor tour guide in Petra. He took us through the back entrance of Petra where we visited the Monastery first (a lot less of walking uphill) and then to the Treasury and the Siq.
Ismail can pick up a group of passengers from the Aqaba cruise port.  Please check him out in TripAdvisor.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We did a fantastic and reasonably priced tour with Wonders travel and Tourism in 2019. It included a lovely lunch and was not too strenuous. Although I did feel sorry for the horses clattering up the cobbles at speed with too many tourists in the cart and suggest you walk and enjoy the experience rather than take the horses.

I have cut and pasted their details.  They collected us in a small van at the port - they were ready and waiting for us.  Then transferred us to Petra.  After the walk through Petra we went to "mamas" for lunch and then a leisurely ride back to the ship.

image.png.9951c432b88f9f1e418a1917763e7c48.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2022 at 12:11 PM, Janet&Carl said:

We did a fantastic and reasonably priced tour with Wonders travel and Tourism in 2019. It included a lovely lunch and was not too strenuous. Although I did feel sorry for the horses clattering up the cobbles at speed with too many tourists in the cart and suggest you walk and enjoy the experience rather than take the horses.

I have cut and pasted their details.  They collected us in a small van at the port - they were ready and waiting for us.  Then transferred us to Petra.  After the walk through Petra we went to "mamas" for lunch and then a leisurely ride back to the ship.

image.png.9951c432b88f9f1e418a1917763e7c48.png

Thank you, that is very helpful information.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this thread. I have a desire to go to Petra from our cruise next year -- but my husband is not a great walker (although he is working on getting better now, and we have about a year until we cruise). Is Petra something we can consider if he can't get around very well?

Thanks for any information and recommendations!

2 hours ago, VisionaryJax said:

Thank you for this thread. I have a desire to go to Petra from our cruise next year -- but my husband is not a great walker (although he is working on getting better now, and we have about a year until we cruise). Is Petra something we can consider if he can't get around very well?

Thanks for any information and recommendations!

That's tough.

The 5 - 10 minute (?) walk from the entrance to the top of the siq (narrow canyon) was unmade when we were there some years ago. The siq is paved, a walk of (?) 15 minutes (?)  down to the Treasury, etc

There are two-wheel two-passenger horse-drawn carriages which ply the route - going down you should be able to negotiate a fare of pennies because most folk are happy to walk down and most of the carriages go down empty.

But walking back up is hard work & where they make their money - they'll squeeze as much as they can.

Sorry, I don't recall how much folk were paying, and that was in any case a long time ago.

The ground in the valley is quite rough too, but still plenty to see and be amazed if you don't go far.

So give the difficulty - and the cost - a good deal of thought.

There is a second route- a road which goes down on the far side. Not available to the Average Joe, but may be available to those with mobility problems. Worth researching

JB 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Thanks for that update.

So "tickets" means no having to haggle ?

JB 🙂

There’s always a tip apparently… 😂but no haggling on ticket price. Bought from the entrance area I believe. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 1:06 PM, John Bull said:

That's tough.

The 5 - 10 minute (?) walk from the entrance to the top of the siq (narrow canyon) was unmade when we were there some years ago. The siq is paved, a walk of (?) 15 minutes (?)  down to the Treasury, etc

There are two-wheel two-passenger horse-drawn carriages which ply the route - going down you should be able to negotiate a fare of pennies because most folk are happy to walk down and most of the carriages go down empty.

But walking back up is hard work & where they make their money - they'll squeeze as much as they can.

Sorry, I don't recall how much folk were paying, and that was in any case a long time ago.

The ground in the valley is quite rough too, but still plenty to see and be amazed if you don't go far.

So give the difficulty - and the cost - a good deal of thought.

There is a second route- a road which goes down on the far side. Not available to the Average Joe, but may be available to those with mobility problems. Worth researching

JB 🙂

Thank you, this is good information! We will assess how he is doing with mobility closer to our trip and decide ... We will probably never get to Jordan again, and I would love to see it! If it's just money, we have been saving like mad and would probably opt to pay for a carriage -- or a motorised buggy!

22 hours ago, Pushka said:

I think there are motorised buggies now instead of the horses. Can get one way or return tickets. 

This would be great. I would hate to put a horse to the trouble of hauling my broke ass up a steep incline! Thanks for the information!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 6:38 AM, calliopecruiser said:

I'm looking at a Petra excursion by Jordan Horizons that specifically picks us up at the port, gives us an English speaking driver to Petra, and a few hours with a Petra guide from Petra (i.e. does not work for the tour company) - then back to the ship with the driver.  Admission included, but the price (about US$250 per person for 2) seems too low.  But they have excellent reviews, for what that's worth. 

We paid $135 USD each in November 2019 which I thought was great.  No additional costs. Picked up at the port, entrance fee to Petra with guide, lunch and return to port all inclusive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 9:14 PM, Janet&Carl said:

We paid $135 USD each in November 2019 which I thought was great.  No additional costs. Picked up at the port, entrance fee to Petra with guide, lunch and return to port all inclusive.

Who was this with?  I am overwhelmed with all the choices of guides and options!

Has anyone done the excursion to Petra on Princess cruises?   Their description says  "1/2 mile walk from entrance to the sit to the beginning of the Siq then you must walk 5-6 miles through the Siq and enter into the city ruins and return the same way"   We could walk 12 miles but at our own pace so curious if anyone has done the Princess excursion.     Thank you

2 hours ago, mrstmaxx said:

Has anyone done the excursion to Petra on Princess cruises?   Their description says  "1/2 mile walk from entrance to the sit to the beginning of the Siq then you must walk 5-6 miles through the Siq and enter into the city ruins and return the same way"   We could walk 12 miles but at our own pace so curious if anyone has done the Princess excursion.     Thank you

🤣🤣🤣

Someone at Princess has royally screwed-up

🤣🤣🤣

I really can't remember, but the siq is somewhere around half to one mile plus the walk to the top of the siq .

Googlemaps has it at a little over one mile in total 

https://goo.gl/maps/M5x8um1SLSYwDVVH9

Altho the siq is shaded, on a hot day coming back up it may seem like 5 to 6 miles,  but Mr Google and other clever people assure me that the distance between B & A is the same as the distance between A & B/.

No worries 🙂

And thanks for the laugh 

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

On 3/6/2023 at 10:29 PM, John Bull said:

I really can't remember, but the siq is somewhere around half to one mile plus the walk to the top of the siq .

Googlemaps has it at a little over one mile in total 

https://goo.gl/maps/M5x8um1SLSYwDVVH9

But this is just to the Treasury! 

There is much more coming which easyly makes some more miles! 

Edited by directionfinder
wrong quote

2 hours ago, directionfinder said:

But this is just to the Treasury! 

There is much more coming which easyly makes some more miles! 

Yes, just to the Treasury,

From there it's about a mile to the colonnaded street, where the main sights run out and there are camels / horses for those who want to go an extra mile to the Monastery.

JB 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2023 at 12:14 AM, Janet&Carl said:

On 3/2/2023 at 11:17 PM, Tinagirl said:

Who was this with?  I am overwhelmed with all the choices of guides and options!

FYI, In November, 2019, we were on the Celebrity Constellation.  We visited Petra using Jordan Horizons and paid $160USD per person for a group of 8, which included pick up at the port, entrance fee to Petra with a wonderful guide, lunch at a local restaurant, and return to the port.  It was a very memorable experience.

Mike and Mary

• Like 1