1st time cruises with annoying questions...

planefring1

We are booked on the Joy for Aug 23rd.  We have several rookie questions for you experts.

1) We selected the 9:30am check-in slot.  However, lets say we are stuck in ridiculous traffic, (ship lease on a Tuesday) and miss our check in.  Does that mean we cant check in at the port until all previous times are called? 

2) We have two cabins (non-haven family suites) We received PRIORITY luggage tags in the mail. The online check in also show luggage tags but does not say priority.  So, I am assuming if the luggage tags have priority, do we receive priority boarding? And why do you think the online tags don't show priority?

3) Should we be able to book the shows online. Because it looks like you should be then it says must be booked once on board.  Is that an issue we are having, or is this for everyone?

4) We have a Nespresso machine in our room according to the reviews. However, are these machines hooked up to a waterline, or is bottled water supplied for the coffee maker?

5) Are the public areas typically kept very cool or comfortable, are light sweaters advisable?

6) Overnight in Bermuda, do we have to be back on board at a certain time, or is it come & go as you please?

7) I saw a picture of an NCL branded boat/tender docked in Bermuda.  What is that for? 

8   If we purchase non alcoholic beverages while in port, are they allowed on the ship? 

9) Is there a car rental at port Canaveral? 

10) Has anyone been on the Bermuda triangle night cruise excursion?

Thanks in advance... 🙂 

30 minutes ago, planefring1 said:

1) We selected the 9:30am check-in slot.  However, lets say we are stuck in ridiculous traffic, (ship lease on a Tuesday) and miss our check in.  Does that mean we cant check in at the port until all previous times are called?

Show up, check in.  The prescribed times are more for traffic flow, there's nothing preventing you from checking in if outside some arbitrary window based on the time you selected.

31 minutes ago, planefring1 said:

3) Should we be able to book the shows online. Because it looks like you should be then it says must be booked once on board.  Is that an issue we are having, or is this for everyone?

Lots of folks have posted about this issue recently so I'd say it's an issue for everyone

33 minutes ago, planefring1 said:

7) I saw a picture of an NCL branded boat/tender docked in Bermuda.  What is that for?

It's a dedicated ferry for NCL, I believe to St. George.

35 minutes ago, planefring1 said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=port+canaveral+car+rental&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS1006US1006&oq=port+canaveral+car+rental&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0i512j46i175i199i512j0i22i30l3j0i22i30i457j0i22i30l3.5008j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

34 minutes ago, planefring1 said:

We are booked on the Joy for Aug 23rd.  We have several rookie questions for you experts.

2) We have two cabins (non-haven family suites) We received PRIORITY luggage tags in the mail. The online check in also show luggage tags but does not say priority.  So, I am assuming if the luggage tags have priority, do we receive priority boarding? And why do you think the online tags don't show priority?

4) We have a Nespresso machine in our room according to the reviews. However, are these machines hooked up to a waterline, or is bottled water supplied for the coffee maker?

5) Are the public areas typically kept very cool or comfortable, are light sweaters advisable?

6) Overnight in Bermuda, do we have to be back on board at a certain time, or is it come & go as you please?

8   If we purchase non alcoholic beverages while in port, are they allowed on the ship? 

10) Has anyone been on the Bermuda triangle night cruise excursion?

Thanks in advance... 🙂 

1.  Shouldn't be an issue

2.  Luggage delivery is different from when you board.  I've never seen anything that made me think priority luggage had any quicker delivery than "non" priority luggage

3.  Book shows once you board

4.  Nespresso machine need you to fill it with water

5.  Matter of opinion.  I don't mind the temp on board with shorts and shirts sleeves

6.  Nope.....stay anywhere in Bermuda as long as you like.  Just be certain the be on board an hour before the ship leaves

7.  Tendering back and forth to the ship

8.  NOt sure, but don't think so

9.  Yes

10.  Yes, my favorite excursion.  Beautiful sunsets.

1) No.

2) I suspect you don't have priority boarding at all.  What (other than luggage tags) makes you think you do?  It is usually for high rewards (MANY cruises taken with NCL) members, Haven cabins, or the disabled.

3) Most people can only book onboard.  Again,  a perk for club "suites" and high reward members to book ahead of time.

5) Personally, I think the inside A/C areas get a bit cold.  A light second layer is always recommended.

6) While I have never been overnight in the same port (on the Bermuda Joy itinerary for November), everything I can find says you may come and go as you please - as long as you are back on the ship before they leave the port of course.

10) I'd be interested in your opinion on this excursion if you do it, as that is the one my daughter is most interested in.

2 minutes ago, jenn117 said:

3) Most people can only book onboard.  Again,  a perk for club "suites" and high reward members to book ahead of time.

Right now, maybe.  In the past I've booked shows in advance while booked in a standard balcony and even in a studio.  The higher priced cabins and higher Latitudes members are allowed to book earlier than the rest by 5-10 days.

Oh, and regarding the check-in time, they don't really seem to care anymore, just show up.  That was more for when cruising re-started and they were trying to keep embarkation from being a Covid-spreading extravaganza due to 1500 people converging at once.

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

do the non-Haven family suites get a butler?

I just checked and nope.  So I imagine the steward will either fill it our provide water for it.

We had a butler on the Star last month, so I figured all suites had them.  But the Star doesn't have a Haven, so I should have realized...

Good luck finding a butler for OP's "SP" Family Inside Suite on the Norwegian Joy - there ain't any ... but, there's an extension to contact the designated concierge (for dining & show reservations only)

2.  Priority Luggage tags is just for the luggage - unless your eCruise Doc say otherwise & printed "Priority Check-In ... and/or Boarding) - as it is meaningless these days, since the beginning of 2022.  We booked 2 SP cabins & sailed in early May - NCL ship management "acknowledged" the discrepancies and pledged to report back to Miami HQ to address & resolve, still waiting to hear affirmative changes since ... My analysis: chalk it as a useless "recognition" unless you have Platinum or higher tiered status, etc. - which isn't prioritized after security screen, and document checks - until you reach the 3rd. stop for screening before pier check-in for the key cards. 

7.  The fast NCL ferry is docked across the pier, and runs on a published scheduled aligned with the ship (available once onboard) - weather & sea conditions safely permitting - has a capacity of 500 passengers per run - one way or round trip transfer to St. George's on the east side of the island, free - show your NCL Ship keys to board.  Last return on overnight stop from SG is 5:30 pm and only does one morning trip when ship leave Dockyard on the same day.

9. Hertz car rental place was still closed when we're there in early April - check & call the local location directly - it was nice in 2019 when we overnighted there, free shuttle pickup to/from the cruise terminal.  Inexpensive then - nowadays ... good luck.  

WOW, that was a lot of info in a short time....If only NCL was as efficient.  

I am sorry to ask so many questions.  Just want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible, within realistic expectations being used.

Thanks again, 

1 hour ago, planefring1 said:

WOW, that was a lot of info in a short time....If only NCL was as efficient.  

I am sorry to ask so many questions.  Just want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible, within realistic expectations being used.

Thanks again, 

Car rental:  If not already reserved probably non available or very expensive.

During normal times not an issue but these aren't "normal" times.

3.  Off the Getaway about 1 week ago.  Could not book shows until I got on the ship.  We were first on board around 11:30 and were not able to book until about 12:30pm on board. But once you could you could do it on any electronic board on the ship.  The only things we could book were Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet.  Comedy shows and all other venues were first come first served and most people lined up 30 to 45 minutes prior.

9.  We got a rental car at Port Canaveral through Enterprise which also serviced Alamo and National.  However Budget and Hertz also came around to pick up people.  We used it to get from Port Canaveral to Orlando and was the same rate as shuttles for me.  The only problem we had was there was no signage for pick ups and had to wait a while since the shuttle driver kept on going to the Carnival terminal and ignoring ours.  There were 4 ships in port.

Back last Sunday from Bermuda on Joy.  Looks like your questions have been answered, I'll just add to #7:  Free NCL ferry from the dockyard to St. George:

Departs Dockyard           Departs St. George

9:00 AM                                   10:00 AM

11:15 AM                                  12:30 PM

1:30 PM                                    3:00 PM

5:15 PM

Last day in port will be a different schedule.  I believe it was out at 9 AM and returned at 12:30 but not sure.  

• Like 1