Miami Early Flight

Just booked the Explorer and am looking at air arrangements. There is a 11:30AM flight out of Maiami that would be ideal but I'm concerned about making it. Does RCL have self disembark? I've done that in the past(although I can't remember which cruiseline) and was off the ship very early with no problems. So....the question is do you think I have a reasonable chance of making a 11:30 flight out of Miami on that Sunday?

Thanks

Dave

Guest cruzr44

I would definitely go for it. I had a 11:30 flight out of FLL with our ship in MIA and was at the airport at 9:30. Very doable unless for some slim reason disembarking is held up.

I don't know about that. Remember for a domestic flight, the airlines want you there about 1 - 1/2 hours before take off. Are you sure you can get to the AP by 10:30? What about booking a later flight & flying standby on the one you want?

Trish1c

I thought about the standby thing but I am not sure how that works. There is a 4:00 flight that I could book. Do I then just show up as early as possible to see if there is room on the 11:30 flight or do I actually book as "standby" on the 11:30 flight?

Thanks for the advice

Dave

We had a 11:30 flight for our last cruise. The ship did not get into port until 12 noon. Had made arrangements for the next flight at 1:45 online from the ship. We did not get our luggage until 1pm. Then had to get a cabbie to "fly" us from Miami to FLL apt. Best to book an afternoon flight just in case.

When we returned on Explorer we had an 11:40 flight and were at the airport by 9:15. I'd take a cab and not the RCI transfers. There is always the possibility of something going wrong and missing your flight. But most of the time things go right. You have to decide if you are willing to take the risk. I, personally, would go for it.

We always book an 11:40 or so flight out of Miami. As another has said, take a taxi, NOT RCI transfers. Your Compass will have a notice about "cruise only" guests who have early flights to register these with the Guest Relations Desk before a certain day. That will assure you get early off color tags.

Just off the Brilliance 2/13. Our flight out of Miami was at 11a.m. We had beige luggage tags, the 2nd to be called at 7:15. We only had to wait a few minutes for our luggage. Customs was quick. My husband and I kept looking at each other, we were both amazed that there were no lines! Caught a cab and were at the airport at 7:45. This was on a Monday morning too. The only long line was to go through security at the airport. It's risky, especially if the ship is held up. I think we were lucky. Port of Miami to airport taxi is $24. flat rate. Good luck. Meg

Your Compass will have a notice about "cruise only" guests who have early flights to register these with the Guest Relations Desk before a certain day. That will assure you get early off color tags.

Please, please, please do not trust that you will get the right color tags! On our Jewel cruise last month, we did everything we were supposed to: reported our early flight to Guest Relations by the time/date stated in the Compass. We still received the wrong color tags. I followed up with Guest Relations within an hour of getting the tags to get them corrected and the best they could do was the 3rd group callled. Friends on the cruise had the same problem and based on the size of the line to get this corrected, we were not the only ones with this problem.

You can take off you luggage yourself and we saw lots of people doing this. I will definately try this next time after I have seriously cut down on my packing :D .

I have an 11:30 scheduled out of Miami and am not really worried. If I can't get the early luggage tags, will just carry my own stuff off. There is nothing worse than getting off a cruise and having to spend a rotten day sitting in Miami airport. yuck! If we are late, we are late, but it's worth it to me to take the risk and get the heck out of dodge!

Tracy

I thought about the standby thing but I am not sure how that works. There is a 4:00 flight that I could book. Do I then just show up as early as possible to see if there is room on the 11:30 flight or do I actually book as "standby" on the 11:30 flight?

Dave --

You book the later flight & then show up at the AP & ask if they have room on the earlier flight. If they do, the airline simply puts you on it. There are downsides: 1). if there's no room you are stuck at the AP for 5+ hours :( 2). you might not get to sit together.

Just returned from cruise on Voyager back to Miami yesterday. OUr flight was 11:30 out of Miami (to Boston). As soon as I got on the ship the previous week I went to the Guest relations desk, explained we had an early flight and asked for the Travel Lite program, (you take your luggage off with you in the morning yourself). They had a 6:30 am choice or an 8:00 am choice.

We ate a leisurely breakfast in the main dining room @ 7:00 am and by 7:30 -7:45 am we departed with the ship (no lines) although other colored bag tags depart at the same time as the Travel Lite program. We rolled our bags off the ship, stood on line for immigration, and grabbed a cab out front. We were at the airport by 9:00 am.

A couple of hints....check your bags at the curb--the line inside with all of the other cruisers is quite long (American Airlines).

Good luck.

(We booked our own air by the way!)

Archived