Cruise ship Power Strip

doktor71

I have been reading in reviews that the non surge charging strip like the photo below has been confiscated by cruise lines.  It has also been stated that the only charging adapters permitted are ones with USB ports only. Does anyone have knowledge on what is permitted? I need to purchase as we have “Many” devices that need to be charged, and do not want to have it confiscated on embarkation.

13B61152-69F6-4F42-BCDA-1170907213C7.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

And how about plain old extension cords with multiple plug-ins? We have always taken them on other lines with no problem.

Passengers may be allowed to take them aboard on other lines, but not on Celebrity.

Prohibited Items:

• Electrical Extension Cords
Edited by MarKay525

9 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Abd how about plain old extension cords with multiple plug-ins? We have always taken them on other lines with no problem.

then stick to the lines that allow them 

I just bought two of these; one for travel and one that I've stuck up under the end table in the living room.  It's lighter than the previous multi-plug I'd been toting and packs flatter (the power cord detaches).  I use the C connection for my phone and tablet and the As for everything else.  Especially like that it doesn't fall off the wall and is easier to use in Europe with an adapter (which I plan to do on the ship to leave the US plug open for the hair dryer, etc).  BTW, I opted for their "used like new" versions that come from Anker; they were both new with slightly damaged packaging.  

Edited by goofysmom99

On 8/6/2022 at 9:40 AM, doktor71 said:

I have been reading in reviews that the non surge charging strip like the photo below has been confiscated by cruise lines.  It has also been stated that the only charging adapters permitted are ones with USB ports only. Does anyone have knowledge on what is permitted? I need to purchase as we have “Many” devices that need to be charged, and do not want to have it confiscated on embarkation.

I've taken these aboard without issue, and there's no excuse for confiscating them.  They're specifically designed as 'straight through' power to the AC outlets without any passive components involved at all.  It's the equivalent of using one of these, only with a couple of USB outlets:

outlet.thumb.jpg.130676c5227820fba703203c6d3163d8.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Abd how about plain old extension cords with multiple plug-ins? We have always taken them on other lines with no problem.

Please keep in top of the different lines’ “what not to pack lists” to avoid disappointment

On 8/6/2022 at 11:40 AM, doktor71 said:

Was this on Celebrity?  Different lines have different rules. With no cord and no surge suppressor this should be allowed on Celebrity

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:40 AM, doktor71 said:

Celebrity ships have their plugs depressed with a lip around them in many SRs and I don’t believe that would fit. 

to increase plug availability I bring EU adapters to use the EU plugs Celebrity has i believe in all SRs. 

den

den

• Like 1

What are you charging?

Just off Equinox. The 110V outlets are relatively close together and horizontal. That would cover a lowe outlet on a vertical plug, and might come close on horizontal plugs. And some ships have slightly recessed outlets. It has a total of 2.4V USB (no wattage given). Newer phones are 20 Watts or so, so much more power. You’re potentially carrying a device that takes you from 2 outlets to a max of 3, gives you a very slow set of USB ports, and looks fairly bulky. 

Can you charge everything/most things by USB C/USB A charging hub with a cord. 

21 minutes ago, J18ktleo said:

We took this on Milennium in May, had no issues.  Now I'm concerned as headed to Italy for Reflection and have bought these for everyone in my group, why would they pull these?

image.png.c77ec201cb0e2e05af7696a3742771b5.png

Checked the specs on that one, and it's ideal for cruise ship use.  Be SURE to take the docs in case you have to convince anyone.

• Like 2

I use one like that on X because the single plug fits the 110 outlets every time.

Also the weight of the large plug in adaptor can make it iffy to stay plugged in with every device plugged into it.

1 hour ago, J18ktleo said:

We took this on Milennium in May, had no issues.  Now I'm concerned as headed to Italy for Reflection and have bought these for everyone in my group, why would they pull these?

image.png.c77ec201cb0e2e05af7696a3742771b5.png

Good to hear.  I have a couple that I always take that are similar to this with a couple of outlets and USB.  Why would they want to confiscate non power surge ones?  People need them for their electronics and things like medical equipment.  I pack mine with my cpap machine.

42 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Why would they want to confiscate non power surge ones? 

Because they aren't trained to tell the difference, and further, not all of these devices make it clear on their cases (when separated from the packaging and docs) that they're specifically designed to avoid the problem.  They don't have time to do a lookup on Amazon as I did for that one to see if it's actually safe to use with crap (by shoreside standards) AC power supplied to it.

10 minutes ago, canderson said:

Because they aren't trained to tell the difference, and further, not all of these devices make it clear on their cases (when separated from the packaging and docs) that they're specifically designed to avoid the problem.  They don't have time to do a lookup on Amazon as I did for that one to see if it's actually safe to use with crap (by shoreside standards) AC power supplied to it.

So, what do you do, pack them with your medical equipment, or have some paperwork showing it's not a surge protector style and made for cruise ship usage?  My upcoming cruise is my first on Celebrity, I have no idea where the outlets in the room are and what I will need, so I'm bringing an extension cord and a couple of these power strips to make sure I have what I need.  None of it is surge protected stuff.

We have never been questioned about this on other cruise lines. 

3 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

So, what do you do, pack them with your medical equipment, or have some paperwork showing it's not a surge protector style and made for cruise ship usage?  My upcoming cruise is my first on Celebrity, I have no idea where the outlets in the room are and what I will need, so I'm bringing an extension cord and a couple of these power strips to make sure I have what I need.  None of it is surge protected stuff.

We have never been questioned about this on other cruise lines. 

Are we talking for medical equipment? As in a CPAP? If so, you contact the special needs department before the cruise and they'll provide extension cords, power strips, distilled water, etc. It may not be any better than what you'd bring on board, but it's their equipment.

special_needs@celebrity.com

6 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

... have some paperwork showing it's not a surge protector style and made for cruise ship usage? 

Yes, that would be one approach.  I would recommend that you contact the Special Needs folks at Celebrity, however.   They can fix you up with extension cords and the like.  They do it all the time.

You can download the attached form and send it to them, or contact them at (954) 628-9708 or (866)592-7225, or send an e-mail to special_needs@celebrity.com,

Celebrity-Guest-Special-Needs-Form.pdf

Edited by canderson
typoz
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 11:40 AM, doktor71 said:

I've brought the attached on  several cruises with no problem!

circular cord.jpg

20 hours ago, canderson said:

Checked the specs on that one, and it's ideal for cruise ship use.  Be SURE to take the docs in case you have to convince anyone.

And hope the Italian who sees it and says you can’t have it on board can read the English specs

• Like 2

I asked this earlier of the OP, but what are people charging? For most electronics, there are multiple, arguably better, options that don't require a power strip. Almost all newer electronics charge with a USB cable, and a USB charging hub, usually a USB C/A hub, is going to take up much less space, use less power, present a negligible overload/fire risk, and charge your items as fast if not faster than plugging into a power strip. And the power strips people have shown are generations old on their USB slots. There's no way on earth you'd want to try to charge a newer iPhone, for instance, on those first generation USB A slots. It would take forever! And if you're plugging your iPhone or Galaxy adapter into the 120V plugs, you've added an unnecessary link in your charging chain. And weight and cube to your packing.

There are dozens of USB A/C charging stations on Amazon. Get one with a detachable cord, set the block on the desk/counter top, and plug your devices in using USB C cables (USB C to USB C, USB C to Lightning, or USB C to Micro USB). You can get USB C chargers for almost all phone batteries, usually with spare batteries, for $20 bucks or so. It takes up much less space and leaves the outlets for things that can't use a USB C connection, like hairdryers.

This is on Amazon for $69 and will charge almost anything I can think of.

61Bz9tB1G+L._AC_SL1280_.jpg

Edited by markeb
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Good to hear.  I have a couple that I always take that are similar to this with a couple of outlets and USB.  Why would they want to confiscate non power surge ones?  People need them for their electronics and things like medical equipment.  I pack mine with my cpap machine.

If a power source is for medical equipment it is allowed.  

To the OP - I use a charging pad that has 2 additional USB ports.  Waterpark, 2 phones and a camera battery.  How much more do you need?

PS if for a CPAP or other, Celebrity will provide cord with multiple outlets.  Why mess around with the rules.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 2

I did email in my request.  So to be clear, you can't take an extension cord, but you could take a non surge protection power strip, like those already mentioned by people?  Is the cruise line making a distinction between an extension cord and say a power strip?

10 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I did email in my request.  So to be clear, you can't take an extension cord, but you could take a non surge protection power strip, like those already mentioned by people?  Is the cruise line making a distinction between an extension cord and say a power strip?

There has been very little clarity on this over the years, unfortunately. I recall, perhaps incorrectly, that power strips were listed with extension cords at one time. Right before the shutdown, people reported having their power strips confiscated at boarding, with or without surge protection. The current list of prohibited items does not include power strips per se, and I haven't seen a recent post on the subject.

If it's for a CPAP or other medical equipment, they'll provide one. If it's to charge electronics, there are arguably better alternatives. If it's for a high wattage item like a hair dryer or straightener, you probably shouldn't be using a standard power strip anyway without checking the rating of the power strip and the draw of the equipment.