Tipping at the port? How much?

LovetheSea

15 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Princess just needs to add these charges into the price of a cruise and quit playing games with their passengers and employees.  

"The “Crew Appreciation” is a daily amount for each guest that will be automatically added to your onboard account for your convenience, to recognize the efforts of a wide variety of crew members who contribute to the experiences of all our guests."

I am never impressed with the service I get on a cruise ship.  It is what I expect for what I pay so Princess just needs to own up to the issue and pay their crew a better wage.  

“I am never impressed with the service I get on a cruise ship”.  Wow.  Really?  To the contrary, I’m always impressed with the service I get on a cruiseship. Honest, dedicated, hard working people who bend over backwards to make YOUR vacation special and memorable.  Sometimes working 12+ hours per day and still smiling at the people who are not impressed.  Your comment certainly speaks to your character.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Sometimes working 12+ hours per day and still smiling at the people who are not impressed.  Your comment certainly speaks to your character.

And working 6 1/2 days a week for 3 months straight or more. I worked 4 summer seasons for Princess many years ago at the McKinley Princess lodge in Alaska and we had it easy. We got a WHOLE day off each week and Princess didn't like paying overtime so most shifts were only 8 hours. And the season was about 5 months long. I can tell you, by August I was so worn out and the last 6 weeks were tough. But that's nothing compared to the folks who work on the ships. Those people work their butts off and do such an amazing job to make our vacations better.  I am so impressed by how hard working and thoughtful and gracious every single Princess staff member has always been. Giving the ones who make a special impression a little more brings me joy. I LOVE being able to thank them with a bit extra $ in their pocket.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

And working 6 1/2 days a week for 3 months straight or more. I worked 4 summer seasons for Princess many years ago at the McKinley Princess lodge in Alaska and we had it easy. We got a WHOLE day off each week and Princess didn't like paying overtime so most shifts were only 8 hours. And the season was about 5 months long. I can tell you, by August I was so worn out and the last 6 weeks were tough. But that's nothing compared to the folks who work on the ships. Those people work their butts off and do such an amazing job to make our vacations better.  I am so impressed by how hard working and thoughtful and gracious every single Princess staff member has always been. Giving the ones who make a special impression a little more brings me joy. I LOVE being able to thank them with a bit extra $ in their pocket.

What gets me is that people spend thousands of dollars on a cruise and then buy a bunch of drinks per day at $10 per drink and they are too cheap to tip the crew.  Yet they are willing to tip a dock worker $10 or $20 to carry their bags 10 feet when the dock workers get more money in tips per day than the crew on the ship get for your entire cruise.  

Yes.  We all realize that the tipping culture on a ship is ridiculous and the cruise lines should just pay the crew the money that they are earning and should be getting.  However this just isn't going to happen because the cruise lines don't want it to happen and because they can find good people who are willing to work under the existing wage structure.

So all of you who are complaining about tips on cruises should just think about what it would be like if the crew was not there and pay your tips.  Also be respectful and treat the crew members right.

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LovetheSea said:

The luggage handlers in the Port of Seattle are Teamster Union members. So I wont worry they will starve without my $10 tip 🙂 I always tip on excursions. Which begs the question Do you base an excursion tip on how long the excursion is? Or the original price of the excursion? Or how well the people treated you? We have a 6 hr excursion in Juneau. Whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier. I am thinking maybe $20 tip? 

I tip 15% of the excursions cost. Just like a dinner.    If these multiple people I try and break that up.  For example my mushers camp excursion was 150.00. I gave the girls 7.00 a piece. A 5 and a 2.00 bill.   

and I did the same tour last week alaska tales.  With Captain Sarah  Stephane and christen       
the whales were so active.  

and I have no problem tipping my teamsters brothers and sisters.   But I only do 1.00 a bag.   As you say.  They make good money.   So a buck is good with how many bags they touch an hour.    
land people saying oh they don’t work hard. Oh it’s only onto a cart right there.   Do the math at how many bags an hour in a day.   Lol.  Very hard on the body.  

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

What gets me is that people spend thousands of dollars on a cruise and then buy a bunch of drinks per day at $10 per drink and they are too cheap to tip the crew.  Yet they are willing to tip a dock worker $10 or $20 to carry their bags 10 feet when the dock workers get more money in tips per day than the crew on the ship get for your entire cruise.  

Yes.  We all realize that the tipping culture on a ship is ridiculous and the cruise lines should just pay the crew the money that they are earning and should be getting.  However this just isn't going to happen because the cruise lines don't want it to happen and because they can find good people who are willing to work under the existing wage structure.

So all of you who are complaining about tips on cruises should just think about what it would be like if the crew was not there and pay your tips.  Also be respectful and treat the crew members right.

DON

The fact is that the cruise lines do this to help the crew keep as much of their earnings as possible, something that has been validated by a member here who for years was the purser on various cruise lines, including NCL. They understand how tips work and how keeping them separated can increase the staff member's annual income.

Go back and read post #114 for the reason. Hint: it isn't because they are taking advantage of the staff. 

And I agree with paragraphs 1 and 3 in your post., especially #3 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Princess just needs to add these charges into the price of a cruise and quit playing games with their passengers and employees.  

"The “Crew Appreciation” is a daily amount for each guest that will be automatically added to your onboard account for your convenience, to recognize the efforts of a wide variety of crew members who contribute to the experiences of all our guests."

I am never impressed with the service I get on a cruise ship.  It is what I expect for what I pay so Princess just needs to own up to the issue and pay their crew a better wage.  

We've always had Princess staff go the extra mile. Perhaps you need to self evaluate why you feel the service is not that great.

4 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

I tip 15% of the excursions cost. Just like a dinner.    If these multiple people I try and break that up.  For example my mushers camp excursion was 150.00. I gave the girls 7.00 a piece. A 5 and a 2.00 bill.   

and I did the same tour last week alaska tales.  With Captain Sarah  Stephane and christen       
the whales were so active.  

and I have no problem tipping my teamsters brothers and sisters.   But I only do 1.00 a bag.   As you say.  They make good money.   So a buck is good with how many bags they touch an hour.    
land people saying oh they don’t work hard. Oh it’s only onto a cart right there.   Do the math at how many bags an hour in a day.   Lol.  Very hard on the body.  

So..let me get this straight, you tip these 2 girls a total of $7 for a $150 excursion? I'm surprised they work so hard for the measly few bucks you pay them. You're right the teamsters  earn a high income. Try doing their job for a few days & then come back with a report.

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

My spouse, Keith nearly got into a fight with some clod who was physically  pushing a staff member around on Celebrity. The staff person(head of the Captains club)treated us to lunch & the next year we somehow got $850 in free excursion tickets delivered to our door. After each one they inquired how we enjoyed them. Very much we might add.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rbtan said:

So..let me get this straight, you tip these 2 girls a total of $7 for a $150 excursion? I'm surprised they work so hard for the measly few bucks you pay them. You're right the teamsters  earn a high income. Try doing their job for a few days & then come back with a report.

No there were 3 on the team

There’s 40 people on that excursion.   So if everyone at least gives 15% they are each getting 280.00 a trip.  And some do multiple trips.  
I gave them a total of 25.00. to split.  Some can’t be ballers like you. 

and I am a teamster.    

Edited by Ptroxx

35 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

No there were 3 on the team

There’s 40 people on that excursion.   So if everyone at least gives 15% they are each getting 280.00 a trip.  And some do multiple trips.  
I gave them a total of 25.00. to split.  Some can’t be ballers like you. 

and I am a teamster.    

Keith was in a Union for 25 years. He's glad he's out. You make a good wage. You certainly afford to tip well. We're both in the hospitality field. We're hardly "ballers" whatever that means, but I'm sure it's an insult. We're just not cheapskates. On an excursion such as yours they would have been tipped $20 ea. We're not ballers..we just take good care those who take care of us.

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

OP doesn't say it was only 2 girls. They said they tip 15% which would be $22.50 for a $150 excursion. Maybe there were 3 girls. $7 each would be $21. Pretty close.  Given that some people on this thread say they think tipping at all is ridiculous, shaming someone who tips 15% seems like an odd choice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Then don't read the comments. No one is forcing you to read this thread. Your head hurts because of you, not how many pages long it is. 

You’re right Mom. I’m heading straight to my room to “Think” about what I said

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 5:28 PM, Wakepatrol said:

Yes- As long as you aren’t in front of me😂

Unfortunately,  I'll be the one with the big suitcase....I travel with my dialysis machine and it cannot be checked. Waiting for the day when I can travel light again. 

Edited by cali-croozer

On 8/7/2022 at 11:12 AM, memoak said:

Then I would not go back to multiple restaurants as you may have extra things added to your soup. Most servers and bartenders get minimum wage and rely on tips so they can go on cruises with you

About time then their employers paid them 'proper wages' and all this tipping nonsense ceases.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, candy4040 said:

In the USA we know how to spell civilized.  Also, I think your comment is insulting.

Civilised is really the correct Queens English.  Civilized is the American version of English.

Australians spell it Civilised also.  Likewise, Colour, Flavour, etc, etc etc. And is it Carnival Splendor? or Carnival Splendour?

Standby for incoming across the Pacific.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, rheathslc said:

My daughter-in-law is an ICU nurse working 12 and 1/2 hour shifts often with one half hour break, caring for people with multiple life threatening conditions who don't actually get her care unless there is a very high chance they will not make it.  She never get tips (or even a decent wage).  Please don't talk to me how people working in a commercial organisation 'need' tips.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fjord4Fun said:

My daughter-in-law is an ICU nurse working 12 and 1/2 hour shifts often with one half hour break, caring for people with multiple life threatening conditions who don't actually get her care unless there is a very high chance they will not make it.  She never get tips (or even a decent wage).  Please don't talk to me how people working in a commercial organisation 'need' tips.

Apples to turnips comparison

10 hours ago, rheathslc said:

OP doesn't say it was only 2 girls. They said they tip 15% which would be $22.50 for a $150 excursion. Maybe there were 3 girls. $7 each would be $21. Pretty close.  Given that some people on this thread say they think tipping at all is ridiculous, shaming someone who tips 15% seems like an odd choice.

Sorry. H e was not totally clear on how many people he tipped. Individually we would have tipped each 20% of the bill. We mostly don't do excursions, but go off on our own. That's why we tip a higher amount.

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Sorry. H e was not totally clear on how many people he tipped. Individually we would have tipped each 20% of the bill. We mostly don't do excursions, but go off on our own. That's why we tip a higher amount.

I really don't see the logic of tipping more because you do not go on excursions.  I thought the argument for tipping was based on whether the person being tipped had done a good job (or went 'above and beyond') rather than on the travel preferences of the person doing the tipping.  Is that just another strange American custom?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fjord4Fun said:

Your daughter deserves better pay. No question at all! All health care workers do. All teachers do. Hell, garbage collectors do. But both can be true.

• Like 1