Quick question - Is there much motion at the back of the ship?

Have an issue going on here in another thread, but for those in the know, is there much motion / rocking at the back of a ship?  We're possibly going to have a rebook here on deck 6 of LotS and my sister is concerned that the room at the back of the ship will experience quite a bit of motion.  Anyone who has stayed at the rear of the ship, is this true?

1 minute ago, trafaelwyr said:

Have an issue going on here in another thread, but for those in the know, is there much motion / rocking at the back of a ship?  We're possibly going to have a rebook here on deck 6 of LotS and my sister is concerned that the room at the back of the ship will experience quite a bit of motion.  Anyone who has stayed at the rear of the ship, is this true?

A ship is somewhat like a teeter tooter and both ends tip up and down and the fulcrum stays somewhat in place. I've had no motion or quite a bit. Depends pretty completely on the weather. I like a little motion, and sometimes wish for more. But you feel it even more to me in the front, idk why. But I feel more in the front than the aft which is kinda squared off. Front if waves hit sounds like the ship is hitting rocks.

I think it really depends on some factors.  

1.  I'm a firm believer in size matters when it comes to cruising.  I've been on many of Carnival's ships which are much smaller than Royal's newer ships.  I've stayed in Aft and Forward and centrally located cabins, never interior though.  In heavy seas, not much helps but I find that the Royal's Oasis Class ships handle heavy seas much better than the smaller ships.  

2.  I have found that with the exception of the Oasis Class ships, cabins in the AFT are very susceptible to engine room vibrations almost constantly.  The engine room vibrations bother me much more than heavy seas, but that's just me, I think.  On the Ovation (Quantum Class) we had a suite that faced out the back of the ship and the soot was bad, very bad.  Made the balcony all but useless.  Good thing we had two others.  BUT, on the Ovation, I don't remember engine room noises/vibrations being much of a problem. 

Yes, I'm a big fan of Royal's Oasis Class ships.

I love aft balconies but there can be vibrations with all that power emanating from under the aft.  The aft can experience some sensations of motion from all that power pushing the ship.  The same sensation can be found flying the rear most aisles on a plane, there can be a "wagging of the tail" in aft cabins.  It's not motion from swell in the ocean but more like what you feel riding on a subway train, a subtle side to side effect.

I don't find forward to have the same wagging tail sensations from all that power of the propellers.  I actually prefer forward locations when not in a fully aft facing balcony but motion from ocean swell doesn't get to me.

For the purpose of motion coming from the ocean, low central cabin locations will reduce some ocean motion primarily a forward/aft pitching or porpoising effect.

Some people are sensitive to up and down motion and when there is large low period swell that can raise the entire ship up and down.  There is no place immune from this effect on a ship as the entire ship is lifting up a few feet and lowering a few feet with low period swell.  The primary factor in how it impacts people will be the angle of the swell reaching the ship versus the heading of the ship.  Even the largest ships are impacted by low period swell.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2

Love our location on Adventure for our upcoming cruise (right next to gym/spa) however, further most cabin 1100, deck 11. 

Praying the seas will not be rough (NE and Canada).

Never have gotten "sea sick" during any of our cruises but just a bit concerned about this one. 

I have random issues with mild vertigo so I'm probably more sensitive to the motion than average. I have never had any problem on lower decks, forward to aft, but have had problems even on the largest ships on higher decks. Doesn't matter which section of the ship, aft, forward or midship, if the boat starts rocking sideways you're gonna feel it from one end to the other. I've had issues with that on at least two ships, Oasis class included. Lower decks (midship or aft) are absolutely the best bet, considering all the possibilities.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've been in several aft cabins and never noticed any extra motion from midship cabins.

Must have been very tame or controlled passengers in the midship cabins.

53 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

1.  I'm a firm believer in size matters when it comes to cruising.  I've been on many of Carnival's ships which are much smaller than Royal's newer ships.  I've stayed in Aft and Forward and centrally located cabins, never interior though.  In heavy seas, not much helps but I find that the Royal's Oasis Class ships handle heavy seas much better than the smaller ships.  

2.  I have found that with the exception of the Oasis Class ships, cabins in the AFT are very susceptible to engine room vibrations almost constantly.  The engine room vibrations bother me much more than heavy seas, but that's just me, I think.  On the Ovation (Quantum Class) we had a suite that faced out the back of the ship and the soot was bad, very bad.  Made the balcony all but useless.  Good thing we had two others.  BUT, on the Ovation, I don't remember engine room noises/vibrations being much of a problem. 

I’ve hear that oasis class doesn’t do as well in rougher seas.  I’ve heard this from staff as well as passengers that have done transatlantic voyages with bad weather.  Oasis class is the best in more moderate to calm seas, but in rough seas I think other classes might do better (ex freedom class).  I’ve done transatlantic trips on both classes and notices little difference, but we didn’t really experience bad weather on Harmony TA.   

1 hour ago, trafaelwyr said:

... my sister is concerned that the room at the back of the ship will experience quite a bit of motion.  Anyone who has stayed at the rear of the ship, is this true?

I'm gonna guess that that the kind of aft motion you (or sister) is thinking of is negligable. But to clarify, I've never experienced side-to-side swaying or even that much up-and-down. As for engine vibration, I don't know about LotS (Liberty?) but none of the Royal ships I've sailed had a much more than "noticeable" issue with that. And usually only when porting or disembarking.

Again I'll stress that height is my personal worst enemy on a ship, and I've had staterooms from literally front to back of large and small-medium ships (e.g. Carnival Destiny). It's only "worst", as I described above, during side-to-side rocking (as opposed to lateral swaying or fishtailing, which again I've never noticed). But in all situations, lower is always better for me -- except maybe too low where engine vibration or noise might be severe or chronic, which can be its own kind of irritation. (I'm also prone to very mild persistent-noise-induced vertigo.)

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

I’ve hear that oasis class doesn’t do as well in rougher seas.  I’ve heard this from staff as well as passengers that have done transatlantic voyages with bad weather.  Oasis class is the best in more moderate to calm seas, but in rough seas I think other classes might do better (ex freedom class).  I’ve done transatlantic trips on both classes and notices little difference, but we didn’t really experience bad weather on Harmony TA.   

I'll have to disagree with that. Oasis class are the heaviest out there, thus less prone to getting tossed around. Rocking side-to-side maybe (in rhythmic rough seas anything will rock), but on 3 Oasis class cruises plus one on the next-largest Independence, I never thought any of those ships were at all worse than the smaller (e.g. 3000-pax) Carnival or Celebrity Summit ships for example.

2 hours ago, trafaelwyr said:

I had an aft cornier cabin on deck 7 on Liberty.  Loved it!  Would definitely stay aft again, without hesitation. .

Edited by ocean sounds

23 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

I'll have to disagree with that. Oasis class are the heaviest out there, thus less prone to getting tossed around. Rocking side-to-side maybe (in rhythmic rough seas anything will rock), but on 3 Oasis class cruises plus one on the next-largest Independence, I never thought any of those ships were at all worse than the smaller (e.g. 3000-pax) Carnival or Celebrity Summit ships for example.

I’m not comparing oasis class to the small ships.  More like a comparison to freedom class.  

Just now, topnole said:

I’m not comparing oasis class to the small ships.  More like a comparison to freedom class.  

I understand. Just saying I've sailed ships ranging from 2500-3600-4500 pax up to Oasis, most if not all in some pretty bad weather, and never noticed that those huge ships are any rougher than any others.

57 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

I understand. Just saying I've sailed ships ranging from 2500-3600-4500 pax up to Oasis, most if not all in some pretty bad weather, and never noticed that those huge ships are any rougher than any others.

I’ve sailed all sizes of ships including 30k ton ship up to oasis class many times.  I think your point is accurate that you’re not gonna notice the difference on the biggest ships.   But the design of oasis class probably makes it less stable in rough seas because it’s so tall.   In regular weather oasis is gonna do the best.  But the differences will be more subtle regardless.  With that said, every worker I’ve ever talked with on the subject told me oasis class moved more than freedom class in the rough weather.  

3 hours ago, trafaelwyr said:

All rooms will rock and roll in bad weather. While people will tell you that a room low and center is "good", there are no "good" rooms when the ship is in bad weather and heavy seas. You will be in the back of the ship in the main dining rooms and the front of the ship at the theater. 

1 hour ago, topnole said:

I’ve sailed all sizes of ships including 30k ton ship up to oasis class many times.  I think your point is accurate that you’re not gonna notice the difference on the biggest ships.   But the design of oasis class probably makes it less stable in rough seas because it’s so tall.   In regular weather oasis is gonna do the best.  But the differences will be more subtle regardless.  With that said, every worker I’ve ever talked with on the subject told me oasis class moved more than freedom class in the rough weather.  

Not to mention all the surface area prone to catching the wind and you get another motion vector. 

Have had the vibration and "subway" like motion on a lot of ships towards the back. You also get to feel a good bit during docking as others have said. 

You do get a bit of motion with the swell but those propulsion forces sort of keep it subdued compared to the lifting of the front action. It also depends on sea direction. Going into the waves the bow and bulb cut into the wave to some degree so it's not quite the same as it makes it to the back. In a following sea you will feel the lift in the back.

5 hours ago, topnole said:

I guess it's up to one's experience and how you define heavy seas and the ships reaction to the heavy seas.  I've been on a few different Oasis class ships and in what I believe was fairly heavy seas and didn't experience what I would call a rough ride and I'm comparing it to the Carnival Dream, Magic, Freedom, and a couple others.  And I probably can't compare my heavy seas to a TA storm.  

But, like I have said in the past, we all have our own experiences and we judge them differently.  All I can do is give my opinion and experiences.  I fully understand that YMMV.

2 hours ago, death_star said:

Not to mention all the surface area prone to catching the wind and you get another motion vector. 

Have had the vibration and "subway" like motion on a lot of ships towards the back. You also get to feel a good bit during docking as others have said. 

You do get a bit of motion with the swell but those propulsion forces sort of keep it subdued compared to the lifting of the front action. It also depends on sea direction. Going into the waves the bow and bulb cut into the wave to some degree so it's not quite the same as it makes it to the back. In a following sea you will feel the lift in the back.

That's got to be some strong storm/wind for the following seas to catch-up to the ship, if it's going at speed.  When I used to come back into Port Everglades from fishing because of a building squall coming in or just heavy seas, I hated the following seas, dangerous too. I wouldn't want to experience seas strong enough to catch-up to a large passenger ship.  

7 hours ago, Ret MP said:

True, for me gotta feel like I'm on a Ship not at an amusement park so I love the Motion of the Ocean. Compared to Voyager & larger have felt lot more movement on Sovereign, Vision and Radiance Class's while doing my Fav during Hurricane Season or Repo's out of Northeastern US. Cruise only 10+ niters on these more likely I get at least one day of Rocking and Rolling with the Vomit bags placed around the Ship

Edited by ONECRUISER