Yet another question about bringing wine onboard

schmoopie17

Just want to make sure I'm interpreting the NCL policy regarding bringing wine onboard correctly. In the past, everyone was subject to a corkage fee if wine was brought on and consumed on the ship. It now appears they have revised this policy to exclude passengers with the beverage package.  Per NCL website:

"Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.
750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD
1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package."

I assume this rule applies to wine, not only brought aboard at initial embarkation, but also to wine bought during the cruise (as in our case, in Tuscany). My assumption is that we can buy wine in Tuscany, carry it onto the ship and take it to our cabin, with no corkage fee...since we have the beverage package...correct?

22 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Just want to make sure I'm interpreting the NCL policy regarding bringing wine onboard correctly. In the past, everyone was subject to a corkage fee if wine was brought on and consumed on the ship. It now appears they have revised this policy to exclude passengers with the beverage package.  Per NCL website:

"Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.
750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD
1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package."

I assume this rule applies to wine, not only brought aboard at initial embarkation, but also to wine bought during the cruise (as in our case, in Tuscany). My assumption is that we can buy wine in Tuscany, carry it onto the ship and take it to our cabin, with no corkage fee...since we have the beverage package...correct?

I don’t have any personal experience, but yes, it should be the same at a port of call.

I have heard it reported by some people that they weren’t allowed to bring wine onboard at all at a port of call (it was stored instead I think), but that appears to be the exception. As long as they let you bring it on there should be no charge.

11 minutes ago, cruisemom67 said:

How do they know if you open it in your stateroom? Silly wording! I assume they just charge you when they see you bring it on board?

Yes, they charge you when you bring it onboard. I don’t think the wording is silly though, they are basically saying it applies wherever you plan to drink it (restaurant, public area or your room).

22 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Yes correct, when I tested the policy they did not notice the wine I brought on board on embarkation day so I bought another at a port of call and practically had to wave it under their nose to make them take notice. Finally someone asked to see my cruise card and said "You have beverage package, that's fine.".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

Yes, they charge you when you bring it onboard. I don’t think the wording is silly though, they are basically saying it applies wherever you plan to drink it (restaurant, public area or your room).

If that is the case, perhaps they should tell you it is charged as you bring it on board. For example, if I bring 10 bottles, can I bring them all on board? Maybe I decide only to drink 5 of them. Do they give me a refund if I didn't consume?

1 minute ago, cruisemom67 said:

If that is the case, perhaps they should tell you it is charged as you bring it on board. For example, if I bring 10 bottles, can I bring them all on board? Maybe I decide only to drink 5 of them. Do they give me a refund if I didn't consume?

Apparently they do, yes.

I believe NCL recently changed their wine and champagne policy and are no longer charging corkage IF guest bringing on the wine/champagne has purchased the beverage package.

I would have been so happy if this was in place when we cruised on the Bliss May 21st since we have lots of good wine and drove to the port.

There were posts on Cruise Critic when this happened but I don't have time to go looking for them.

Here is the NCL link that quote in paragraph 2 of post #1 in this thread was taken from

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/liquor-beverages

18 minutes ago, cruisemom67 said:

Yes. That is a $150 charge on embarkation. And it all has to be hand carried. 

25 minutes ago, kjquilts said:

I believe NCL recently changed their wine and champagne policy and are no longer charging corkage IF guest bringing on the wine/champagne has purchased the beverage package.

I would have been so happy if this was in place when we cruised on the Bliss May 21st since we have lots of good wine and drove to the port.

There were posts on Cruise Critic when this happened but I don't have time to go looking for them.

Here is the NCL link that quote in paragraph 2 of post #1 in this thread was taken from

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/liquor-beverages

As I understand it, the OPs question is whether they will be able to bring on the wine at a port of call, rather than the embarkation port. I think they are aware of the change relating to people with the beverage package.

If I am interpreting the policy correctly, there is no corkage fee if you have the beverage package. I believe this is a recent change, as back in March people were quoting the $15 charge in may posts, regardless of the package. 

And yes, my other question was in regard to bringing on in ports, rather than initial embarkation.

2 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

As I understand it, the OPs question is whether they will be able to bring on the wine at a port of call, rather than the embarkation port. I think they are aware of the change relating to people with the beverage package.

The way I read it was they were looking for confirmation that NCL's policy has changed and they could bring on wine at one of their ports of call (as well as at embarkation) without being charged corkage since they have the beverage package.

I would swear that when I responded some of the posts were not in the thread or I wouldn't have responded since Ziggyyuk confirmed (post #5)  they were allowed to bring wine on at a port of call without paying corkage since they had the beverage package.  That is the poster I was referring to who confirmed the change in policy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

Like literally in your hand or in a carry on bag or is a separate Kroger bag or or or ???

Sorry, just kidding with the feet remark. Couldn't resist!  I think the hand carry was Bird Travels remark to Cruisemom67 that if she took ten bottles of wine onboard at embarkation, she would have to HAND CARRY each of them, which would be quite a chore. My take. Anyone else?

12 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

Bought 2 bottles of wine in one of the ports recently aboard Epic, asked to see my cruise card with the beverage package and waved me through. 

You answered both of my questions (bringing on wine at a port stop and waiving the corkage fee with the Beverage Package). Thanks.

• 1 month later...