Free At Sea

Edhoff

Just watched a video explaining all the in & outs of this deal. The drink package will cost you $20 per day (gratuity charge whether you have 1 or10 drinks). The number of specialty dinners you receive depends on the length of the cruise and when's the last time you took an excursion for $25 per person. Nothing like full disclosure with getting eye strain to read all the fine print.

Shore excursion is $50 credit for the first passenger, not total for the room.  I took an excursion for under $20 after the discount/credit on my cruise in March.

5 minutes ago, Edhoff said:

The drink package will cost you $20 per day (gratuity charge whether you have 1 or10 drinks)

Yup.  Comparing apples to apples - what does RCI charge for their drink package and can you get it included in the fare?  Just think of it this way - 2 drinks per person per day and your out of pocket cost is covered.  Typically you won't get the option to pick your room unless you choose the free at sea fares, so compare that fare to the "I'll pick my room" fare with RCL to get a fair comparison.

7 minutes ago, Edhoff said:

The number of specialty dinners you receive depends on the length of the cruise

And the stateroom class!

For what it's worth - an informed customer will know all this because they read the terms and conditions. https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions (linked in the fine print in the banner advertising it). You're not the first (and probably won't be the last) to make a post like this.

• Like 1

I recently priced out 2 cruises to Mexico from San Diego. One on Holland America and one with NCL. Same basic itinerary (NCL adds an additional stop in Ensenada) similar sized ships. NCL with all the free and sea and air special still came in under Holland America with all their extras but no air. 

1 hour ago, Edhoff said:

Just watched a video explaining all the in & outs of this deal. The drink package will cost you $20 per day (gratuity charge whether you have 1 or10 drinks). The number of specialty dinners you receive depends on the length of the cruise and when's the last time you took an excursion for $25 per person. Nothing like full disclosure with getting eye strain to read all the fine print.

It's such a great deal! We take all of the Free at Sea promotions on all of our cruises (4-6 a year). Enjoy every single minute!

1 hour ago, Edhoff said:

Everyone here knows this already.......

• Haha 2

I went on a 15 night Transatlantic last year and I took at least 8 excursions, 3 in Bermuda alone. Yes I was cruising solo but with the $50 excursion credit I think I paid about $120 total for all my excursions. It's a very decent perk. And my drink bill would have been well over $1500 plus gratuities, especially with all the sea days so paying a total of $300 was a huge savings. And last year I got five free nights in the specialty restaurants. I really don't get the complaining.

Edited by nferr
  • Like 1

For those who are interested.   We in New Zealand and Australia have the Gratuity on the Dining and Beverage portion of Free At Sea built into the actual cruise fare.   If we were to take either out we would get no decrease in the fare.