Last minute changes on QE. Seems like they waited a long time to make the decision…

njpln

Just like everything else with Cunard, they move pretty darn slowly. This morning we got an email telling us they are taking off the Bermuda stop. That’s after everybody on the ship already had to do the Bermuda travel authorization form, and pay  for it. And pay for the excursions.  Yes, they will reimburse us, it says via our onboard account so I guess that means OBC.

We cruised five times during Covid, and we understand that itinerary changes happen, but this is ridiculously late based on the lame reasoning they gave.   Most of the times when they changed the itinerary it was because the ship had too many Covid cases, or the island had too many cases. Neither of those exist. My guess is they didn’t want to have to do all the testing for the people who’ve been on board prior to today’s departure. People getting on today will have a negative Covid result that’s within the number of days that Bermuda requires. This could’ve been decided at least a week out.

I think Cunard needs to get a move on it and start being a little bit proactive.  There’s been no change in the situation that I can tell.

Anyway, we get to go to the Azores now, which is another place we haven’t been so I won’t complain too much. I just don’t understand why Cunard is still the slowest of all cruise lines to “get a move on it”.

Thanks for listening to my mini-whine.  😉

41 minutes ago, njpln said:

... this is ridiculously late based on the lame reasoning they gave.

Just for the record, I'd be interested to hear the reasoning they gave. Hopefully something a bit more enlightening this time than the usually vague "operational reasons" but perhaps not.

43 minutes ago, njpln said:

Anyway, we get to go to the Azores now...

Which day will you be calling at the Azores? I figure it will be 16 Aug but please check my work.

They've already tested all  of us staying on after FL - so that's not the reason - I suspect that Bermuda threw up another issue - I don't care so long as we get our $40 back - though i hope the internet is better than it has been to date! 

• Like 1

I thought I would be able to answer my own question about what day QE will be in Ponta Delgada by looking at the ETA being reporting via AIS now that she has departed Fort Lauderdale. However, what I'm seeing is August 9, 2022 at 11:00am which of course is no help. The crew are keeping me in suspense a little longer.

If the refund is made to the shipboard account as onboard credit it should be in the form of "refundable credit." They refund port charges similarly when a port is missed and it's refundable (which means that you are entitled to any unused refundable credit at the end of the voyage). I forget but I think nonrefundable OBC is spent first. I don't believe that I had any left at the end to worry about getting the refund.

13 hours ago, njpln said:

Just like everything else with Cunard, they move pretty darn slowly. This morning we got an email telling us they are taking off the Bermuda stop. That’s after everybody on the ship already had to do the Bermuda travel authorization form, and pay  for it. And pay for the excursions.  Yes, they will reimburse us, it says via our onboard account so I guess that means OBC.

We cruised five times during Covid, and we understand that itinerary changes happen, but this is ridiculously late based on the lame reasoning they gave.   Most of the times when they changed the itinerary it was because the ship had too many Covid cases, or the island had too many cases. Neither of those exist. My guess is they didn’t want to have to do all the testing for the people who’ve been on board prior to today’s departure. People getting on today will have a negative Covid result that’s within the number of days that Bermuda requires. This could’ve been decided at least a week out.

I think Cunard needs to get a move on it and start being a little bit proactive.  There’s been no change in the situation that I can tell.

Anyway, we get to go to the Azores now, which is another place we haven’t been so I won’t complain too much. I just don’t understand why Cunard is still the slowest of all cruise lines to “get a move on it”.

Thanks for listening to my mini-whine.  😉

This isn't the only cruise line that was slow on the trigger.  I was on a Celebrity ship that rearranged its schedule to dock in Bermuda.

13 hours ago, Underwatr said:

If the refund is made to the shipboard account as onboard credit it should be in the form of "refundable credit." They refund port charges similarly when a port is missed and it's refundable (which means that you are entitled to any unused refundable credit at the end of the voyage). I forget but I think nonrefundable OBC is spent first. I don't believe that I had any left at the end to worry about getting the refund.

This is what we experienced on an Oceania TA earlier this year, where the stop in Bermuda was cancelled due to weather conditions. Cancelled during embarkation in Miami, three days prior to the Bermuda stop. The amount we spent on Bermuda travel authorization was added to our account as refundable OBC. 

16 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I thought I would be able to answer my own question about what day QE will be in Ponta Delgada by looking at the ETA being reporting via AIS now that she has departed Fort Lauderdale. However, what I'm seeing is August 9, 2022 at 11:00am which of course is no help. The crew are keeping me in suspense a little longer.

QE is now reporting an ETA of August 16, 2022 at 07:00 local time at Ponta Delgada. That's the date I expected.

Not having much luck yet finding a port webcam though.😞

I am so glad we got off the QE in Fort Lauderdale yesterday before it continued on to Barcelona. The whole Bermuda thing was ridiculous. At least you're getting a refund (it seems) of your out-of-pocket costs, but, of course, the wasted time in filling out the Bermuda forms will never be recovered.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:11 PM, lissie said:

They've already tested all  of us staying on after FL - so that's not the reason - I suspect that Bermuda threw up another issue - I don't care so long as we get our $40 back - though i hope the internet is better than it has been to date! 

We were thinking of you guys when we heard this! Slightly off topic but the tapas place in Barcelona that we loved is Cuidad Condal. Please pass that on toJill & John as well. Hope you’re enjoying yourselves and dancing lots, Bev and Paul x

On 8/9/2022 at 5:11 PM, lissie said:

They've already tested all  of us staying on after FL - so that's not the reason - I suspect that Bermuda threw up another issue - I don't care so long as we get our $40 back - though i hope the internet is better than it has been to date

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

I am so glad we got off the QE in Fort Lauderdale yesterday before it continued on to Barcelona. The whole Bermuda thing was ridiculous. At least you're getting a refund (it seems) of your out-of-pocket costs, but, of course, the wasted time in filling out the Bermuda forms will never be recovered.

After 29 days aboard, we too disembarked in FLL.

There is still a fair bit of 'flying-by-the-seat-of-the-pants' by Cunard at least on this vessel. The typical howlers in the daily program were more prevalent. Roger McGuinn of the  Byrds was a 3-session celebrity guest but we knew nothing about this until it was mentioned in the 'daily' of his first session. I'd be shouting this from the rooftops if I was Cunard! He was brilliant.

They are clearly both short-staffed and many of the customer services staff are learning on the job. We had occasions when the waiter either didn't know what we were talking about of brought the wrong thing. Lots of little things like this but too many to be acceptable.

Internet and satellite TV reception was terrible. Their continued excuse about being unable to make satellite contact became a running joke.

Best gaff was when the cruise director Michael Harvey announced on his morning show that the clocks had gone back one hour at 2:00 am. They had in fact gone forward one hour. Lots of examples of management just not paying sufficient attention - except in the dining room, where the dark suits were always in evidence and things ran extremely well. Food top-notch. Although we witnessed no less than three different start times for the evening meal.

Our cabin steward was excellent - he clearly knew his job.

Entertainment: the house production shows ranged from very good to superb. The guest artists ranged from very good down to what were you thinking? I suspect it might be a case of you get what you pay for ("you" being Cunard). House musicians were good to exceptional.

Over all we had a great cruise at a very good booking price. We were not impacted by on board Covid; my estimation was that around 2% of the ship's complement were in isolation at any one time.   

I wrote to Cunard  on 19th July regarding my concerns re the very late notification we would need a Travel Authority for Bermuda.  They informed us at 5pm the evening before our flight out to Vancouver. I managed to apply for all 3 at home and paid.

My husband and I had our TA's granted last week but our son had great difficuty resubmitting his vaccination certificates due to the internet.  All to no avail as this port was cancelled, one of the reasons being so many still needed to apply for authority and the poor internet.

All passengers whether they applied or not will receive $45 OBC.  I await to see if this is 'refundable'.

How's this for irony? QE is currently stopped just off the coast of Bermuda to the east of St. George's for what I understand is a medical evacuation. Of course I don't want to make light of a medical emergency and hope all goes well for the individual concerned.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 11:53 PM, elmsliebev said:

We were thinking of you guys when we heard this! Slightly off topic but the tapas place in Barcelona that we loved is Cuidad Condal. Please pass that on toJill & John as well. Hope you’re enjoying yourselves and dancing lots, Bev and Paul x

Will do - have it written down on paper in case the internet fails again LOL 

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

How's this for irony? QE is currently stopped just off the coast of Bermuda to the east of St. George's for what I understand is a medical evacuation. Of course I don't want to make light of a medical emergency and hope all goes well for the individual concerned.

Yup - I saw the patient go on board - he was walking and made the step from ship to ship with aid. Hopefully he's OK - we are now pedal to the metal and heading to see. 

BTW the wifi works perfectly fine around 6-7pm and after 11pm through to about 6am - so adjust your schedules accordingly. 

• Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 9:53 PM, techteach said:

@lissie Been thinking about you! How was your time in San Fran? Looking forward to reading your review. Hoping all is well for you.

The review will have to wait - the only time the internet is usable on a laptop (rather than the phone) is late at night - and CC is horrible on mobile! 

SF was awesome  - but so cold!  We wore all our clothes all the time! 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, lissie said:

The review will have to wait - the only time the internet is usable on a laptop (rather than the phone) is late at night - and CC is horrible on mobile! 

SF was awesome  - but so cold!  We wore all our clothes all the time! 

Mark Twain had a famous line: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco!"