Change of Princess Sky itinerary

BeebMarc

We’re booked on Y225 - Norway’s fjords and islands - which leaves on August 20th from Southampton and today we’ve had an email from Bolsover to say that because of “recent restrictions imposed by the pilotage authority” we won’t be going to Gravdal but Hellysylt. 
Can anyone translate that? Is it the kind of thing that happens often? Or is Princess using it as an excuse to avoid going there for other reasons…?

15 minutes ago, BeebMarc said:

We’re booked on Y225 - Norway’s fjords and islands - which leaves on August 20th from Southampton and today we’ve had an email from Bolsover to say that because of “recent restrictions imposed by the pilotage authority” we won’t be going to Gravdal but Hellysylt. 
Can anyone translate that? Is it the kind of thing that happens often? Or is Princess using it as an excuse to avoid going there for other reasons…?

Obviously, you are new to cruising.  Yes, cancellations and changes of itinerary happen all of the time.  This unfortunately is unavoidable for several reasons including weather, port permissions, etc., and are not due to Princess.  Why in the world would Princess would use anything as an excuse to not go anywhere when all of the arrangements have been made?  That makes no sense.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, toofewcruises said:

Obviously, you are new to cruising.  Yes, cancellations and changes of itinerary happen all of the time.  This unfortunately is unavoidable for several reasons including weather, port permissions, etc., and are not due to Princess.  Why in the world would Princess would use anything as an excuse to not go anywhere when all of the arrangements have been made?  That makes no sense.

this will be my sixth cruise, but you know what they say when you assume.

When “all the arrangements have been made”, the cynic in me would say that Princess couldn’t be bothered to fight its corner over the pilotage restrictions.

41 minutes ago, BeebMarc said:

this will be my sixth cruise, but you know what they say when you assume.

When “all the arrangements have been made”, the cynic in me would say that Princess couldn’t be bothered to fight its corner over the pilotage restrictions.

There is no possible way we know why your port has been changed, other than what has been told to you.  Yes, ports and itineraries change all the time by all cruiselines and quite often passengers don’t even know until they board.  Your cruise contract is very clear about this.  Your itinerary may even change again, depending on circumstances.  I know it’s frustrating, especially for people who are fairly new to cruising, such as yourself.  All of us have had this experience numerous times over the years…..it just goes with territory.  Welcome to cruising!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeebMarc said:

because of “recent restrictions imposed by the pilotage authority” we won’t be going to Gravdal but Hellysylt. Can anyone translate that? 

Most likely, the reason is the Kvalsundet Strait north of Tromsø the day before. Sky Princess is so big that an extra pilot boat is required to cross this shipping channel. If there are no available pilot boats, Sky Princess can't sail this passage.

This is exactly what happened to us on June 19 on the Sky (also on the 14-Day Land of the Midnight Sun cruise). The ship had instead to go way around north via Ullsfjord to leave Tromsø to open waters. Because of this unexpected detour, we were 3 hours late in Gravdal and many tours had to be canceled or shortened.

I am pretty sure that Princess does not want this to happen again, so they changed the itinerary in advance.

Just now, EDVM96 said:

Most likely, the reason is the Kvalsundet Strait north of Tromsø the day before. Sky Princess is so big that an extra pilot boat is required to cross this shipping channel. If there are no available pilot boats, Sky Princess can't sail this passage.

This is exactly what happened to us on June 19 on the Sky (also on the 14-Day Land of the Midnight Sun cruise). The ship had instead to go way around north via Ullsfjord to leave Tromsø to open waters. Because of this unexpected detour, we were 3 hours late in Gravdal and many tours had to be canceled or shortened.

I am pretty sure that Princess does not want this to happen again, so they changed the itinerary in advance.

Thank you for your constructive and non-patronising reply. It was refreshing to read.

• Haha 1

Me and all my family are on the 20th August 2022 cruise. The main reason for choosing it was the itinerary and top of the list were the Lofoten Islands/Gravdal. I would say Princess have known for ages they couldn't visit this port and have left the decision to let their passengers know it's cancelled to the 11th hour. Hope your proud of yourselves Princess directors and goodbye as it will be the last time ever we sail with you.

That approach to Gravdal seems to be problematic even for smaller ships.  On the Sapphire Princess in 2019 we had to wait a similar length of time for a pilot without advance warning  Neither the captain nor the passengers were amused but pilot dispatch is outside the cruise lines’ control.  Don’t forget changes also. impact all the excursion providers.  Luckily our private excursion was able to make adjustments but it was a condensed and more harried version of the normal excursion.  At least you and Princess have a couple of weeks to make alternative arrangements.

BTW @JeremyGriggwelcome to cruise critic!

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 6:08 AM, Pumpkinsoup said:

Good lord, is this BBC Marc from Scopitones by any chance? If so, what a small world! We are on the Sky Princess the week before you -- will keep an eye out for you at disembarkation!

it might be 😉

but who are YOU, as “@pumpkinsoup” is a bit less obvious!

Edited by BeebMarc